VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MF6

Question

I separated from active duty service in the Air Force with in 2010 and had undiagnosed non-combat military connected PTSD with alcohol use in remission (According to my VA disability paperwork which puts me at 50% for ptsd.) This was granted the beginning of last year. I recently put in to have my discharge upgraded to honorable from general and have yet to hear back from them. (E-benefits say maybe I'll hear about it early February 2018.)

There were a few selfmedicated incidents with alcohol that happened while I was active duty that resulted in going into a civilian rehabilitation facility, a perscription to an antidepressant, and a lot of suicidal ideation I recently admitted in my paperwork to the review board that I was afraid to admit to my command because they would do things like write someone up for a sunburn (destruction of government property), or purposefully keep spouses apart by writing one up for something they didn't do and keep them from going during their significant others' PCS (because someone else did it to them for five years and "they turned out fine"(There was no way to prove otherwise.)).

I was recently reading about medical retirement from the military. It's a little confusing. I was wondering if there was a way to submit for reconsideration and medically retire from the military after separation?

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that John999

I stopped my pursuit  just got tired messing with them.

I just think the DD 214 Is one the most important piece of paper a veteran can have to prove his/her military service  where you served and what you did and the schools and certificates Awards you earned while in the military.

They got my Vietnam service right  except for the extended stay I did. I was there close to 4 months or so after my year was up. DD-214 Don't reflect that  but that's ok,  I wanted my Germany service on it too.

Also the  veterans Discharge Certificate Is very Important.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got my Honorable Discharge in a safe deposit box along with my original DD-214.   You know you can get those documents recorded at the court house.  Stuff gets lost.  I have my father's honorable discharge which lists his duty overseas and awards etc.   I did not really know him but I read some of his letters and he hated the army.  He was in the artillery and said he slept in bombed out basements  for about 6 months and did not get a bath for months.  All the guys in his unit hated the army which is what they had in common.  His military records burned up in the 1973 fire in St. Louis so this is all I have of him.   The WWII army was a civilian army. 

I don't know what the army of 2017 is today , but I think the Vietnam Era army was also a civilian army because of the draft.  They were drafting  40,000 a month a the height of the war in RVN.  It should be a civilian army because all should serve and not just the poor or disadvantaged.   Some guys just like it.  I liked some of it, but being permanent party at some of those big army bases stateside was hell.

• HadIt.com Elder

john999

I have my  Original Honorable Discharge in a frame hung up on the wall in my bedroom office here at home, I have copies in a lock box where I keep papers such as these and All my Award papers! 

I have a large folder I keep all my VA Stuff in or related to the VA, I call it my personal C-FILE.

I have to admit its very hard to find things in it  just have to look, but now I have the New C-File on CD and copied to my lap top Using '' Acrobat Pro'' program and the C-File CD Put up in a safe dry place, I just go to that and look for VA Related things on the lap-top of course this lap top I use is not cheap about 1400 bucks its lighten fast speed.  but it does everything I need it to and more.

We stopped using the desk-top computers  take up to much room.

I do copy any negative progress Notes off myhealthvet, because after I go to the VA For appointments or anything VA Related I wait 3 days and check those notes and make copies of any unusually negative things said  save those..just in case I might need them later.

its a good Ideal for veterans with pending claims make them a folder and let loved ones know about his claim in the event he suddenly passes away.

Ms berta mention this a while back and also for terminally ill veterans to make them a life/ death folder and have their will or wishes placed in the folder.

Just thought I'd update the forum. After going to the DAV a second time to file for discharge upgrade they told me to mail it certified, signature required. I made sure to include my GAF score and my antidepressant medication I was prescribed while attending rehab for selfmedicating, all my records of any incident while in service, current ptsd diagnosis w/alcohol abuse in remission, family statements, my statement about how my superviser ordered me to not go to my medical appointment, and the following memo below that recently came out regarding the care of PTSD cases. Wish me luck.

https://ctveteranslegal.org/breaking-news-kurta-memo-expands-pathway-discharge-upgrades-clients/

The first package I submitted through the DAV they sent through the VA and it got stuck there. I got a letter saying the VA doesn't handle such cases, exc. The DAV recommended I mail it myself to the appropriate board of corrections as the DAV must file through the VA and it might get lost again.

• HadIt.com Elder

MF6

Probably when you accepted the general under honorable discharge the military will claim they did a physical on you to include mental status update.  They will say that you were not suffering from any mental illness that made it impossible for you to serve,  but that some character disorder was the reason you were discharged.  You may have signed something you are not aware of today that agreed with the conditions of your discharge.  This is all smoke and  BS they cook up to justify what they do to vets who are suffering from some mental health issues the military does not want to pay for in form of medical discharge.  The BCMR will kick you appeal around for a while and probably deny it with a half-azz review of the "fact".   This is why I say you probably need a lawyer to does these cases.  How long has it been since you were discharged?  You can sort of assume that the Army and BCMR will be lying about almost everything.