VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing loss/Tinnitus claim moving fast- no C&P

Rate this question

IMEF-Gunny

Question

Is it possible that hearing loss and tinnitus could be rated and service connected without a C&P ? I fileed the claim, under review 4-5 days, gathering evidence 2 days, review of evidence today, estimated close by 11/17.

I submitted FDC, MEPS hearing test showed good hearing at low freq, and normal at high freq, Boot camp audiogram showed some hearing loss, but still normal low freq/mild at high freq, two buddy statements saying they can attest to my audiograms at work in 1992-1996 were bad and that guys used to tease me about being "deaf dumb jarhead" and such, don't have copies of the audiograms from 92-96 as company closed in 1996,  sent current audiograms from current employer 2007-2015 showing severe hearing loss in both ears above 1000 hz.

Thoughts?

Edited by IMEF-Gunny

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

VMC administered Hearing & Tinnitus C & P exams are conducted by a VA State Certified Audiologist.

Your eventual SC Rating, even a 0% SC will be determined by Service Record proof of  Noise Exposure per MOS or CAR Award. If you're a recipient of a CAR or Bronze with V, noise Exposure will be conceded.

Then you have the VA Computer Testing for Frequency loss and Recorded Word Testing Scores. The Rater will use the (2) Tests results to determine your Hearing Loss Rating SC%.

The Recorded word Recognition Test is supposed to consist of 50 words. The Clinician should instruct you to repeat the word you hear, or think (guess) you hear. Keep in mind, the necessary Decibel Level for the words has already been tested for and the computer has been adjusted accordingly. A no response does not help your score, might even give the impression your trying to get over.

No Testing for the Tinnitus, strictly your reported symptoms and the C & P clinician stating it's Service Connected. The SC is 10% for one or both ears.

Well, I'm an 0311 combat veteran, have a MEPS hearing test showed good hearing, boot camp hearing test showed mild hearing loss and post service that shows severe hearing loss in 1000+ Hz ranges. My company does annual hearing tests and last year they started doing a "whisper" test in 2016 , which I also fail miserably. Hopefully I can get some hearing aids!

Edited by IMEF-Gunny

What about the Tinnitus, a claim filed?

Any non-VA C & P Hearing tests, are irrelevant as to Rating Purposes.

I'm on my 3rd pair of VA Hearing Aids since 09, they keep getting better. This last set came with a Wireless setup for the TV, very nice. I've had VA Audiology Tests for each pair and 1 C & P for a Hearing Increase from 0%. Denied in 2015, Freq Test and Word Recording results had stayed the same.

Keep in mind, hearing aids are just that, aids. They don't eliminate the problem, especially in loud environments. I still find myself staring at women's lips (lip reading) with and without the Hearing Aids.

Yeah, filed tinitus too....mines constant. I know civi hearing tests are irrelevant to SC ratings.....point being, they show what can be expected on an audiogram by VA.

Recent Civi Frequency loss test results should mirror the VA C & P results, both are computer generated.

The VA Recorded Word test is another story. Results will generally come in at a higher percentage than the results from a Spoken Word test. If you come in over 90% your looking at a Hearing SC of 0%.

Both my Private & VA ENT's have said most guys, regardless of military Service, experience significant loss in the higher Freq Ranges. That's where women's voices reside, so if your wife has been complaining that you don't listen to her, now you have a medical excuse.

Ha.......My employer went to what they call "The whisper test" last year. The nurse stands 10-20 feet away, faces away from you and says a word, you have to repeat the word. I fail it misearbly.....mostly I think because my tinnitus rings constant and loud non-stop!

I'll post my C&P results around the 20th

Edited by IMEF-Gunny