VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Convalescence Question

Rate this question

SangreJoven

Question

I'm scheduled on November 20, 2017 for a reoccurring left inguinal hernia repair surgery. I'm already service connected for a left inguinal hernia, so would I be able to apply for temp 100% for the convalescent period while I heal (around 4-6 weeks). I looked at 38  CFR 4.30, and it sounds like I can. I've never had a surgery for something I'm service connected for, so I was just curious if it even qualified. Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Just now, broncovet said:

Go ahead and apply.  There is no downside risk to that.  

Very true. :)

The other thing I wasn’t sure of is that I had started a claim back in July to save my date of claim because I plan on filing a new claim soon. If I submit a claim for convalescence temp 100% would that mess up my date of claim?

It "should" not mess it up.  But, if you get awarded benefit(s), and dispute the effective date, you can appeal that.  So, if your old claim was submitted, on Jan. 12, 2008, and they award you 2015 instead, you can appeal the effective date.  

Make sure you get a letter or note by the surgeon for convalescent time. My spine surgeon wrote that I would be out of work for 3-6 months and it went through without a hitch. If you do not have anything saying you need it, I dont think they will approve it.

20 minutes ago, pwrslm said:

Make sure you get a letter or note by the surgeon for convalescent time. My spine surgeon wrote that I would be out of work for 3-6 months and it went through without a hitch. If you do not have anything saying you need it, I dont think they will approve it.

Will do. Thanks!