VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC L aid and attendance

Rate this question

adkins7b

Question

I should know about my claim anyday its in last phase 70 tdiu depression anxiety asking increase and i already have 50 percent for sleep apnea.. I asked for aid and attandance and the dbq said that I need assistance and can not live indepandant.  I dont know if this will be enough to increase to 100 but i think that should be good to win aid and attandance..

my question is do i have to be 100 percent to win or is tdui fine. I think i asked this before my memory horrible medication. plus 50 percent would that be smc l 1/2. 

Edited by adkins7b

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 11/6/2017 at 8:05 AM, adkins7b said:

I should know about my claim anyday its in last phase 70 tdiu depression anxiety asking increase and i already have 50 percent for depression.. I asked for aid and attandance and the dbq said that I need assistance and can not live indepandant.  I dont know if this will be enough to increase to 100 but i think that should be good to win aid and attandance..

my question is do i have to be 100 percent to win or is tdui fine. I think i asked this before my memory horrible medication. plus 50 percent would that be smc l 1/2. 

You need to get to 100% disability before any additional special monthly compensation is considered. SMC is reserved for veterans that have suffered certain severe disabilities, severely disabled veterans who are housebound, or in need of regular aid and attendance or daily health-care services. Having multiple disabilities that total over 100 is not as much of a factor as you’d think. Some SMCs  require that a veteran have 100% in a single disability PLUS 50% or 60% of another single disability in order to be awarded.

When the VA makes the decision that a vet is 100%, they are supposed to consider whether the vet is also entitled to SMC benefits. They do not always do it, but should if there is evidence in the claim that indicates the vet qualifies. A vet has to be established with an entitlement to basic Special Monthly Compensation before being considered for higher rates of SMC. The beginning levels are K-S. If you win your claim, but don’t receive a basic level SMC, then file a claim for one. You can then put in a claim for an increase to an L, for example. But, you have to already be awarded a basic SMC to increase from…. You can try to skip to a higher level without being established, but it may be futile.

Look at the criteria for each SMC you believe you’re eligible for, with the help of someone who knows and understands them because they are confusing and complicated. You want to file for the correct one and provide the medical proof required to back it up. You mentioned L:

There are 3 categories in which you may qualify for SMC L:

Aid & Attendance, Permanently Bedridden, and Combination of losses or LOU of extremities & blindness. Let’s just look at what it takes to be eligible for the A&A category of SMC L in a nutshell:

The need for regular Aid & Attendance can be due to physical or mental disabilities that require the assistance of another person to help them perform normal functions of daily life. Medical proof is needed to show the vet requires help with ADLs or IADLs, such as dressing/undressing, keeping clean/grooming, feeding, toileting, (or at least prompting or supervision of such activities) and for protection from the hazards of their daily environment. Severe cases of PTSD and/or TBI are the most likely to be eligible for SMC L in regard to mental disability, when they are so afflicted that they become unable to function independently and need a caregiver. There are different levels of A&A in the SMC chart and L is in the middle.

Housebound status is another of a type of SMC that entitles a veteran to additional compensation when they are substantially confined to their home because of their service connected disability, and it is reasonably certain that the disability will continue throughout their lifetime. A vet can be unable to leave their home without assistance due to mental or physical disabilities. SMC-s is a basic housebound SMC. It is the most likely SMC you will receive if awarded one and a good one for you to consider putting a claim in for if you are not awarded one. For regular A&A and housebound SMCs, the caretaker does not have to be a medical professional. It can even be a member of the family or a friend helping with everyday tasks.

This has been a very quick and broad view with gaps in the details. For more info and to look further into whether you may be eligible to apply, talk to a VSO or an organization that helps with SMC claims. The best of luck to you!!