VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate Cancer

Rate this question

krafty

Question

I saw the answer dated Oct.11,2009 concerning a CUE award for Prostate Cancer caused by Nerve Gas.    I am in the exact situation I was exposed to Nerve Gas at Edgewood Arsenal, Md and had Prostate Cancer at an early age.    I have been denied disability and medical benefits.     I could find nothing where there is a signed citation awarding anything.    If you have information where I can find it please let me know.      Krafty

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

The veteran’s inservice training and his MOS put him into contact with nerve gas and other hazardous agents.

He had two strong independent medical opinions…one from his private urologist and one from an oncologist.

This case is an excellent example of not only how the VA will try to continuously deny these types of claims, but also how perseverence and strong independent medical opinions from physicians with expertise in the field of of specific disability- will pay off.

ORDER

Entitlement to service connection for prostate cancer is

granted.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files2/0507201.txt

Can you give us more info on this 2009CUE award at hadit for prostate cancer?

I searched but could not find it.

Edited by Berta
deleted 2 links that wont help

• HadIt.com Elder

krafty

Read that BVA Decision Ms berta put up  its a good example for you to win your case also ask that you be paid back to the date you first filed  Or better yet when you was first Diagnosed.

You need your records that show you were station at the location where you were exposed to the nerve gas & dates & MOS ect,,ect,,

If you have this '' The veteran's prostate cancer is shown as likely as not to be related to the veteran's exposure to nerve agents during service''.

from a qualified Dr you will Win

The only thing of concern here would be if they send you to a C&P AND THE CANCER is gone I don't know what will happen?

I want to thank Tbird, Berta and Buck52 for your responses.    Since I am new to this site I am still working my way on how this works.

Tbird what does bump mean

Berta please note in the Citation it is not signed.   I can find nothing where this was awarded.

Buck52 I do have all the necessary information.  I did not realize I could go back to when I gpt the Prostate Cancer.

I am looking for something where this was awarded and the Vet received disabiltiy

Thank you 

Krafty

"I did not realize I could go back to when I got the Prostate Cancer."

This is not a Nehmer AO claim. The VA, if you succeed, will give you the date of the claim for the EED (earliest effective date)

In this case, the veteran was a Vietnam Veteran with prostate cancer, and a Nehmer claimant , but argued with the EED until he finally read the regulations :

https://community.hadit.com/topic/66891-agent-orange-prostate-cancer-how-is-back-pay-calculated/#gsc.tab=0

Can you scan and attach the "citation" you refer to?

We have other  prostate cancer veterans here with SC ratings.

The link to the ratings should be in this hadit post-in the BVA decision:

https://community.hadit.com/topic/5066-how-long-will-i-be-paid-smc-s-for-prostate-cancer/#gsc.tab=0

Your problem , as I see it, is how you need to prove you were exposed to nerve gas   at Edgewood Arsenal by virtue of your MOS.

Can you scan and attach th denial- as to the VA's Reason's and Bases and the evidence list, and the date of the decision  and post it here? Cover your C file #, name, prior to scanning it.

Have you searched for causes of prostate cancer on any good medical sites? You might have been exposed to another type of chemical agent that caused it,if the nerve gas didn't.

Still the first BVA link I posted gives a brief rundown of all the veteran ,in that case ,had to do to succeed.

Do you still have access to any inservice members you know if you need a Buddy Statement?

Your unit might well have a web site and even a forum  and some units have reunion rosters and other ways to find buddys.

I found this additional BVA case- prostate cancer- Edgewood arsenal_

https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/Files3/1624983.txt

I have no idea how it turned out or if it even has been decided yet.

In the Remand it states what the RO must do but the vet could attempt to do that himself :

In part:

"1. Ask Aberdeen Proving Grounds, or its higher command, or the service department (U.S. Army) to search for records pertaining to duties assigned to MOS 54A10 at that facility from July 1974 to February 1976. Request a job description, training materials, or procedure manuals which set out the duties and responsibilities of MOS 54A10. Unit or facility records for the relevant period (1974-1976) which might show likely exposures to ionizing radiation or hazardous substances, whether specific to MOS 54A10 or at the facility, should be requested. The facility or service department should be asked whether individuals in MOS 54A10 were monitored for exposure to ionizing radiation, such as through dosimetry badges, during the relevant period (July 1974 to February 1976). The request should ask if the Record of Occupational Exposure to Ionizing Radiation (DD Form 1141) was prepared for other servicemembers in MOS 54A10 during the relevant time period. The facility or service department should also be asked whether there is a current policy requiring monitoring of individuals in MOS 54A10 (or the most closely-related current MOS) for exposure to ionizing radiation or exposure to hazardous substances. 2. If the duties of a service member in MOS 54A10 at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, or records of the activities of the Veteran's unit, are not inconsistent with the Veteran's testimony that his duties required travel to Edgewood Arsenal, ask the Edgewood Arsenal or the service department (U.S. Army) for information as to the circumstances under which service members at Edgewood Arsenal or visitors to the facility were monitored for radiation exposure during the period from 1974 to 1976. Ask the Edgewood Arsenal whether Agent Orange herbicides were stored or used at that facility during the period from 1974 to 1976, and, if so, whether there are records which could determine the likelihood of the Veteran's exposure to that herbicide. Ask the Edgewood Arsenal whether visitors to that facility are known to have been exposed to hazardous materials or chemicals during the period from 1974 to 1976. 3. If Aberdeen Proving Grounds or Edgewood Arsenal are unable to locate the information requested in paragraphs #1 or #2 above, request that information from the Joint Services Records Research Center (JSRRC)."

Although this was for a radiation claim, the veteran raised other chemical exposures as well.

Were you exposed to radiation?

Also in this  BVA decision:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp14/Files5/1436190.txt

it states some links from the BVA:

"Other records reflect that, in April 1966, the Veteran participated in a soldier-volunteer test program of the Army Chemical Center (Edgewood Arsenal), Maryland, involving about 7,000 soldiers in experiments involving exposures to more than 250 different chemicals, though not all chemicals by any subject, at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Edgewood, Maryland (Edgewood Arsenal), Maryland from 1955 to 1975. See http://mcm.fhpr.osd.mil/cb_exposures/cold_war/ edgewood.aspx; See also http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/edgewood-aberdeen/index.asp (Last visited August 8, 2014). The Veteran has credibly stated that he was exposed to chemical agents including LSD (Lysergic acid diethylamide)."

The veteran was declared incompetent by VA for a different SC issue and thus the VA had an enhanced duty to assist him and obtain additional records, on Remand.

Veterans who are not incompetent however should do all they can to prove their claims and their exposures.

This can be very time consuming and they also might well need a costly IMO/IME but many of us here know the value of being proactive. It is how many of us ( maybe Most of us here) won our claims.