VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim is confusing, need help

Rate this question

long36

Question

My claim is still pending but some decisions have been made on some of the claims. Here is where I need help. 3 of my disabilities were last rated/service connected back in 2006. Today I receive an update on my claim and all 3 of these disabilities went up  Asthma from 10% to 30%, Tinnitus 0% to 10%, and Chronic Sinusitis/Tension Headache 0% to 10%. I have an effective date of Aug 27 2017 for the Asthma and Sin/Ten Headache and a date of July 28 2006 for the Tinnitus. My first question is why they  back dated the tinnitus for 2006 and not the other 2, especially considering I filed them at the same time initially. Second question is why did they have the Chronic Sinusitis and Tension Headaches together? 

Disability Rating Decision Related To Effective Date
chronic sinusitis, tension headaches 10% Service Connected   08/27/2017
tinnitus 10% Service Connected   07/28/2006
memory loss   Not Service Connected    
obstructive sleep apnea (also claimed as insomnia)   Deferred    
allergic rhinitis   Deferred    
migraine headaches   Deferred    
asthma 30% Service Connected  

08/27/2017

Thank you in advance!

Edited by long36

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posting redacted copies of your original Award/Denial and the most recent Award Letter would be very informative.

(3) conditions SC'd back in 06? Tinnitus, if SC'd back in 06 would still have been 10%, for one or both ears, no 0% SC as there is in regular Hearing SC Awards. If you have corroborative "EOR" (Evidence of Record) such as the original Award Letter or copy of the 05/06 Hearing C & P DBQ confirming the presence of Tinnitus Symptoms and being "more likely than not" attributed to your Active Duty, then a Request for CUE Review for an EED is warranted.

Keep in mind, the Review Request does not toll the NOD Clock.

9 hours ago, Gastone said:

Posting redacted copies of your original Award/Denial and the most recent Award Letter would be very informative.

(3) conditions SC'd back in 06? Tinnitus, if SC'd back in 06 would still have been 10%, for one or both ears, no 0% SC as there is in regular Hearing SC Awards. If you have corroborative "EOR" (Evidence of Record) such as the original Award Letter or copy of the 05/06 Hearing C & P DBQ confirming the presence of Tinnitus Symptoms and being "more likely than not" attributed to your Active Duty, then a Request for CUE Review for an EED is warranted.

Keep in mind, the Review Request does not toll the NOD Clock.

You are correct, the Tinnitus was service connected, but they had it rated at 0%. Now it makes since why they would back pay to the original date. Technically I should have been receiving pay for that.

They may have attributed your tension headaches to sinus headaches. If they did, then they wouldn't rate you for both because of pyramiding. 

10 minutes ago, EODCMC said:

They may have attributed your tension headaches to sinus headaches. If they did, then they wouldn't rate you for both because of pyramiding. 

Thanks for your reply! Will that block my claim for migraines? I suffer from both and they are definitely different types of headaches.

Im also curious why they have the obstructive sleep apnea as below. Its not just sleep apnea that is interrupting my sleep. The tinnitus prevents me from going a lot of nights (if my wife beats me to sleep), migraines get me up at least a couple of times a week, and post nasal drip keeps me spitting pretty much all night. Should I get a rep to help me out with this or is this possible to fight on my own?

obstructive sleep apnea (also claimed as insomnia)  

I'm not a DR. but I would think not because migraines can be diagnosed. I have tension headaches and chronic sinusitis. The C&P examiner opined that my tension headaches were sinusitis related because they often were documented relatively close together.