VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied then rated later

Rate this question

PAR

Question

I filed a claim for PTSD back in 2014 and then had my C&P. At the C&P the outside VA examiner asked multiple questions and focused on my upbringing (which was good) and my Father almost insinuating that my MST really is from my Father. When I left there I was completed traumatized because of the line of questioning and that he didn't even ask about my military time and shortly after I was denied. At the same time I had already been diagnosed by my VA Mental health Dr and through a MST coordinator. I got the denial shortly after and because I was so upset just did nothing since I didn't want to go through it again. I still went to the VA for treatment and then 2017 I requested an increase for my TBI. They scheduled a C&P and I went and the VA this time and within 4 weeks I was went from 10% TBI to 70% for TBI/PTSD making my overall rating 100%.  A few days ago,  I received my narrative and  I immediately requested my original claim of PTSD reopened requesting an effective date change to my original claim that was denied . My question is that because I did nothing from 2014-2017 will they deny or is there anything I can do to have my effective date changed since the first C&P went so wrong.

Excellent advice John and Bronco, as always. I am going through a similar lowball on GAD (anxiety, or ptsd.) One thing I learned from my last (one and only) expert VSO is don't bunch more than one thing at a time, or the VA will intentionally bungle the time lines up on both claims.

The problem I have which may assist these vets too is:

1) I'd like to disagree on the effective date, and 

2) I'd like to disagree on the low ball 50% (much for the same reason as the OP.)

But it will take over a year to get one thing through, and I'm still battling the VA bungling up my claims from 2011 to 2017. After typing this, I can see there is no way around it. I'll just have to get used to no response on all fronts for a year, and then all issues will be resolved in the worst possible interpretations possible all at once: while calling you in for C&P exams in 3 days notice that does not allow you to get properly prepared.

You have both given excellent steps to take. I have just transferred to Medicare (Thank GOD!), so I need to get a Psychiatrist M.D. asap with my c-file ready.

**  I will see Humana soon for my new Medicare, so if you have any advice on getting a Vet Friendly Medicare Healthcare provider (AND Psychiatrist!), I'd surely appreciate that :-D  Medicare will be the first chance I have to afford a Psychiatrist M.D.!

Most M.D.'s (including our last 2 VA Sec's) seem to acknowledge the Travesty ALL vet's go thru with the VA medical care system. John highlighted that I do not need to let anything drop off, even if I am already P&T VA Disabled (Thanks John!!)