VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DBQ's and additional medical info

Rate this question

Atlcocky

Question

Good evening Hadit community,

I am planning on submitting this on Ebenefits as a FDC. It is a huge claim that has 2 re-open request, 1 new claim and 4 secondary condition claims.

1) The basic question is If I have DBQ's for a particular claim, do I still need to submit the medical records? (in some cases they are pretty extensive.)

2) Two of the claims are request to re-open old claims. Can I summarize the medical information that is "new and material" to fulfill the re-open requirement or do I need to submit all of the medical documentation? 

My fear is If I submit hundreds of medical records pages, they will ignore it all and either partially grant or fully deny my claim. I would love to gather a few opinions from you all on this. I want to submit it by Friday of next week. 

Last question: ON Ebenefits, is there a way to tie the submitted documents with the specific claim and if so, can I put that info in a particular order (ie, explanation of request, DBQ's, chronology of conditions and followed by medical records or some order like that)

Thanks all

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My opinion is that this "wont remain" an FDC.  FDC's are pretty much for straight forward claims where you have all the documentation intact.  Reopening due to 38 cfr 3.156 probably isnt compatable with FDC.  

Dont worry tho, it doesnt matter and you can submit it as an FDC if you like, but I just suggest not expecting it to remain there.  

1.  Of course, I dont know if VA has all your medical records or not.  You can find out by ordering a copy of your cfile, but that does not often happen quickly.  Im not gonna "guess" if VA has your records.  You might call them and ask them or send an IRIS email.  You have identified a problem..and a big one.  Its a reason why many claims wind up in appeals..because VA did not have all our records.  

2.  VA determines if the evidence you resubmit is "new" and "material". They are supposed to issue a decision on that, but often they just forget about us.  

Again, you have identified a real problem:  We have hundreds of pages of records and vA does not have time to read them.  A summary page, with an applicable citation, is probably a good idea. 

Example:  The Veteran suffers from Service connected diabetes.  (Diagnosis of diabetes was made on 11-13 2015, on an exam by Dr.  B)

The Veteran has an "in service event", note the hospital stay on 22 mar, 1994.  

Finally, the Veterans nexus was made on 11-15-2003, in an exam by Dr. L.  

The symptoms can be found in exams dated, 11-15-2004, and 02-16-05.  

On 11/10/2017 at 1:25 AM, broncovet said:

My opinion is that this "wont remain" an FDC.  FDC's are pretty much for straight forward claims where you have all the documentation intact.  Reopening due to 38 cfr 3.156 probably isnt compatable with FDC.  

Dont worry tho, it doesnt matter and you can submit it as an FDC if you like, but I just suggest not expecting it to remain there.  

1.  Of course, I dont know if VA has all your medical records or not.  You can find out by ordering a copy of your cfile, but that does not often happen quickly.  Im not gonna "guess" if VA has your records.  You might call them and ask them or send an IRIS email.  You have identified a problem..and a big one.  Its a reason why many claims wind up in appeals..because VA did not have all our records.  

2.  VA determines if the evidence you resubmit is "new" and "material". They are supposed to issue a decision on that, but often they just forget about us.  

Again, you have identified a real problem:  We have hundreds of pages of records and vA does not have time to read them.  A summary page, with an applicable citation, is probably a good idea. 

Example:  The Veteran suffers from Service connected diabetes.  (Diagnosis of diabetes was made on 11-13 2015, on an exam by Dr.  B)

Thanks for the info. It's a little disappointing to think that may kick some of these claims out. They are put together very well with all of the pertinent records.

On 11/9/2017 at 11:25 PM, broncovet said:

A summary page, with an applicable citation, 

This- submit everything, but definitely do this.

Make it so the VSR can instantly justify moving claim along- slam-dunk.

If you have complete DBQs w medical opinion (IMO) be even more brief; "All documents complete for decision; please mark RFD"

There's zero difference in FDC and non FDC claim processing. All claims use exactly same procedure.

If something's left out, or they have to develop for STRs- in either case- it might take forever.

6 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

This- submit everything, but definitely do this.

Make it so the VSR can instantly justify moving claim along- slam-dunk.

If you have complete DBQs w medical opinion (IMO) be even more brief; "All documents complete for decision; please mark RFD"

There's zero difference in FDC and non FDC claim processing. All claims use exactly same procedure.

If something's left out, or they have to develop for STRs- in either case- it might take forever.

What's RFD? and STR's?

Sorry- RFD is 'Ready For Decision' in the VAs system.

The VSR marks your claim RFD when it's complete in the 'pre' decision stage- It then goes to the rater.

IF everything is in order- You have a good DBQ, and a good IMO, and all the other items are in order- Service Treatment Records (STRs), your DD-214s, etc, then it can simply be rated.

Sounds to me like it is- IF I followed correctly. IF so, just ask it to be rated directly.

Write 'Please mark RFD'

On 11/16/2017 at 1:11 PM, MikeHunt said:

Sorry- RFD is 'Ready For Decision' in the VAs system.

The VSR marks your claim RFD when it's complete in the 'pre' decision stage- It then goes to the rater.

IF everything is in order- You have a good DBQ, and a good IMO, and all the other items are in order- Service Treatment Records (STRs), your DD-214s, etc, then it can simply be rated.

Sounds to me like it is- IF I followed correctly. IF so, just ask it to be rated directly.

Write 'Please mark RFD'

Unfortunately I saw this after I sent the claim. I hope it doesn't slow down to much. I did file it as a FDC.

Thank you for your help.