VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The VA is trying to reduce ratings of Vets with PTSD who show improvment from medication.

Rate this question

kent101

Question

I'm reading this VA Citation :NR 1231506 and the VA is saying that because a Veteran with PTSD is getting improvement from his psychiatric medication, that he's showing less symptoms because of it, that he is having his rating reduced from 70% to 30% for PTSD. The VA did reverse the reduction at the BVA. Is this still something to worry about? At a C&P exam does the Veteran have to make it clear that the medication is the reason for improvements and needed to sustain them?   

Citation NR: "

An October 2009 VA medical record reflects that the Veteran reported that the medication he had been prescribed helped with ability to be out in public and that, while leery about being around people, he could go out in public much more easily.  His mood overall was good, and he indicated that he continued to enjoy dining out with his wife and stopping by the VFW to socialize with friends.  The examiner assigned a GAF score of 76-80".

Over at Veteran's Law Blog it says

"As an example, say a Veteran has been able to service-connect Irritable Bowel Syndrome (DC 7319).

Undiagnosed, the symptoms of IBS might be a component of Gulf War Illness

With prescribed medication, our hypothetical Veteran’s condition moderates from a severe form of the disease to a milder form.

The severe form of IBS is rated at 30% and the moderate form of IBS is rated by the VA at 10%.

Let’s say the VA gives the Vet a rating of 10%, claiming that the Veteran’s medication limits her symptoms.

Is that 10% rating correct?

No . The Diagnostic Criteria in the VA Rating Schedule for Irritable Bowel Syndrome does not specifically list the effects of medication.

Therefore, the VA is not allowed to consider the relief it provides when determining the degree of disability.

Has this happened to you?

When have you seen the VA use “improvement due to medication” as an excuse to give a lower rating"?

https://www.veteranslawblog.org/va-disability-claim-medication-reduce-va-ratings/

https://www.va.gov/vetapp12/files5/1231506.txt

@L, I don't worry about the things I ask about here, I ask questions to get answers from those who have the experience and know how to give me the right answers.

There are "Worry" Forums all over the internet, I'm not a member of any of them.

My "perspective" here has always been to seek advice, educate myself and others, toward a common goal, and that's to fight the VA for every damn thing that's owed to Veterans, nothing more, nothing less, MINUS the worries.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

Edited by allansc2005

On 11/25/2017 at 3:12 PM, broncovet said:

Respectfully submitted - I was agreeing .....LOL  responding to initial post - 

Well said! Excellent advice - Since I have done this my perspective has shifted and no more wasted time in my life.