What is considered a Duplicate claim if filing for increase

ardodd

Question

My is I filed for Increase on my Service Connected Disabilities.

Service Connected Disabilities: 

Osteoarthritis Left Knee: 10%

Osteoarthritis Right Knee: 10%

Depressive Disorder: 70%

Claim:  

Increase Osteoarthritis Left Knee: 

Reason for Increase

1) Total Left Knee Replacement:

A) Temporary Total Disability

B) Umemployability

Secondary (New):

A) Hip Condition

B) Back Condition

Increase Osteoarthritis Right Knee:

Reason for increase

Secondary (New):

A) Hip Condition

B) Back Condition

C) Ankle

My Question is will the VA consider this as Duplicate Claims?

Can the VA overrule and consider that the Secondary conditions are Bilateral and I can not make a Duplicate entry. I consider since both Knee's are rated at 10% because one is worser than the other.

My Left is the one that has been replaced and will be ( or should be rated differently ) rated  under replacement and not under plain Osteoarthritis. As a Secondary Condition I added Hip and Back Ankle as the Service Connected Disability has affected my healing. 

I asked for Increase or my Right Knee as it is not for ( Flexion - Extension - Pain ) all the 3 separate ratings possible under osteoarthritis. I then listed as Secondary Conditions ( Hip - Back - Ankle ) because although it would be considered a duplicate they are rated seperately.

Can I make them separate  conditions as my left side affects the left side of my hip and back from the Left Knee. And then the right side is differently because it affects the right ankle and hip and back differently on that side.

Can they be Rated Separately?

Or can the VA Deny them as Duplicates? 

Wish I had an answer but I am following this as my friend has the same question. All of his VA ratings / award letters specify his left side - shoulder, hip and ankle from combat wounds. You may want to specify your conditions accordingly. Wishing you a positive outcome and looking forward to hearing an answer.

8 hours ago, Balls_B said:

Wish I had an answer but I am following this as my friend has the same question. All of his VA ratings / award letters specify his left side - shoulder, hip and ankle from combat wounds. You may want to specify your conditions accordingly. Wishing you a positive outcome and looking forward to hearing an answer.

I wish i had definite answer myself. As I have been awaiting the outcome since November. In my last communication with the VA they denied my PTSD claim and in their stated that because I had Depressive Disorder Rating that they could only rate me under one condition. So I must await and see what they will for an increase to the Depressive Disorder, since they seem to want to rate me under it cause they could actually not increase my rating. Where as with PTSD they could possible have to increase it to 100%, but with Depressive Disorder they could find reasons to not increase. Such as he can get out of bed on his own - he can use the bathroom - he can talk and communicate with family. 

So I will just hold my opinion until a Certified Representative can help me understand why they are Denying PTSD and just considering a increase to the Depressive Disorder. If they decide there is a increase.

Wish you the best and hope you find the answers you are looking for.

I will try to answer this.  

You need to understand that claims are rated based on symptoms, not diagnosis, once service connected.  

Pyramiding prevents you from getting benefits twice on anything.  

Knees, for example are rated based on the degree of loss of range of motion, pain, or loss of use.  

As  to what caused it, that is irrelevant whether its secondary to something else, or a primary condition.  You wont get paid BOTH for "secondary" knee issues and also "primary" knee issues.  

Let me explain using mental health disorders.  You could have depression, PTSD, or Bipolar, and you could have more than one of these.  

However, lets say you have the symptom of "not getting along with others" and you also have the symptom of "total occupational impairment".  You wont be getting paid for these for both PTSD, and depression, just the greater of the two if diagnosed with both PTSD an depression.  

Its the same way with knee disorders.  You get paid for pain, loss of range of motion, BUT NOT for the same symptoms again because its secondary to back issues, for example.  

So, I think the answer to your question is that is a duplicate, as you only have "one" set of symptoms even if you have primary, secondary, etc. 

17 minutes ago, broncovet said:

However, lets say you have the symptom of "not getting along with others" and you also have the symptom of "total occupational impairment".  You wont be getting paid for these for both PTSD, and depression, just the greater of the two if diagnosed with both PTSD an depression.  

Its the same way with knee disorders.  You get paid for pain, loss of range of motion, BUT NOT for the same symptoms again because its secondary to back issues, for example.  

So, I think the answer to your question is that is a duplicate, as you only have "one" set of symptoms even if you have primary, secondary, etc.

Thank you sir for helping explain this to me. I guess I am way in over my head with this whole VA thing.

This is a Wish List I filed: "Like it shows it is a Wish List"

What you’ve claimed
  • HIP CONDITION
  • BILATERAL (secondary to left and right knee osteoarthritis previously denied as bilateral patellofemoral syndrome) (Secondary)
  • CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (secondary to L knee osteoarthritis) (Secondary)
  • TINNITUS (claimed as 2nd to L knee osteoarthritis) (Secondary)
  • ASTHMA
  • EMPHYSEMA & BRONCHITIS (claimed as 2nd to asbestosis
  • also as 2nd to R knee osteoarthritis) (Secondary)
  • ASBESTIOSIS (related to: Asbestos) (Reopen)
  • DMII (claimed as 2nd to L and Rknee osteoarthritis) (Reopen)
  • BACK CONDITION (now claimed as 2nd to L and R knee osteoarthritis) (Reopen)
  • HYPERTENSION (now claimed as 2nd to L and R knee osteoarthritis) (Reopen)
  • NECK CONDITION (now claimed 2nd to L and R knee osteoarthritis) (Reopen)
  • RIGHT KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS (now claimed a bilateral patellofemoral syndrome) (Increase)
  • LEFT KNEE OSTEOARTHRITS (now claimed as bilateral patellofemoral syndrome) (Increase)
  • DEPRESSIVE DISORDER (now claimed as PTSD and PTSD 2nd to L and R knee osteoarthrits) (Increase)
  • UNEMPLOYABILITY (New)
  • SPECIAL MONTHLY COMPENSATION A&A (New)
  • SPOUSAL AID AND ATTENDANCE (New)
  • TEMPORARY TOTAL DISABILITY (clarified as 100% convalescent due to surgery on s/c L knee osteoarthritris) (New)
  • NEUROLOGICAL DISORDER (related to: Environmental Hazard - Camp Lejeune) (New)
  • RENAL DISEASE (related to: Environmental Hazard - Camp Lejeune) (New)
  • PARKINSON'S DISEASE (related to: Environmental Hazard - Camp Lejeune) (New)

I guess some where in my mind I remember my father not making any kind of claim from his service in Korea and Vietnam. And how he suffered before he died. And my mother struggled after his death since none of us knowed anything about VA benefits for him or her.

I think that's why I decided to claim everything i could think of as it would be on record for my family when I pass away.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By overthere
      Dont know if Im in the right spot, have spent hours trying to figure out how to use this site
      I read "6 reasons to keep pursuing va claims and appeals - AFTER you reach 100%".   Im rated 100% P&T tdui from 'Nam days.   but clicking on it brings  "10 tips to help you keep the c and p exam in perspective".  Is it hidden somewhere else, or not here at all?
      and man, its tough reading and understanding lots of stuff on here.... abbreviations. "secondary" conditions,  one thing caused by another....code numbers, medical/technical names.   there must be a bunch of lists somewhere?  Im a 'regular' type guy, but lots of stuff I have read makes me feel pretty dumb trying to understand things.   and now I cant recall the title of this 'forum' for this question, and I looked back, cant find the name of it anywhere, this site is so confusing.
    • By 1454th Solider
      I want ask if anyone has information or knowledge of a BVA appeal that is out of the 90 day evidence phase, holding up a decision on a claim for an increase on another SC issue? I would like know if I should just wait for the BVA to make it's decision first on the appeal, before I put in for the increase for the separate issue? Forgive me if this is not the right platform for this question. All information is welcome, Thanks.
    • By bangkokbill
      Hi Board,

US Army vet needs advice on nudging NPRC and VA to acknowledge where my service records are and move my Tinnitus claim forward to a decision.

By way of background info, I filed an online claim with the VA on 1 Dec 2020. I tracked the progress online and noticed it was stuck on evidence gathering for several months. I then requested (online) for the VA to make a decision, since I had no further evidence to submit. I attended a C&P exam on May 21, but my claim remained stuck on "Evidence Gathering."

I reached out to my congressman and both senators; one senator ignored me but the other senator and my congressman promptly replied around 20 Jun 2020 (OK, a staffer  ) The VA says they requested my records around 28 Dec 2020 and 15 Mar 2021- and were still waiting. The National Public Records Center says my records were sent to the VA on 21 May 2021 and are no longer in their custody. 

During July, I have called the VA twice and was told they are still waiting for my records from the NPRC. 

Any advice on how to proceed? I'm stuck in limbo between two government agencies that are not taking responsibility and I have yet to find a decision maker that can move my claim towards a decision.

Thanks in advance!

Bangkokbill
    • By Cloudbuster
      Hi,
      I try to keep it short and hopefully make sense.
      2011 Aug - Got out did Pre discharge Disability Claim with VSO on base before I went on final leave.
      2011 December - VA Examination, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I dont have a copy of this exam only the one from 2013.
      2013 June - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome DBQ
      This Dr. typed in section #1 Diagnosis;
      If there are additional diagnoses that pertain to chronic fatigue syndrome, list using above format: The veteran was misdiagnosed in May 2011. He does not and he never did have chronic fatigue syndrome.
      in section #2 Medical History:
      a. Describe the history (including onset and course) of the veteran chronic fatigue syndrome: Veteran was tired and sleepy for a couple of weeks and was fine one month later. Asymptomatic at this time.
      2013 Aug - Rating Decision from the 2011 claim it took 2yrs to complete.
      in this rating Decision there is no mention of the DBQ for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the denial area and there are no deferred claims. There are 9 claims some granted and denied but nothing about the Chronic fatigue.
      They only mention the Chronic Fatigue DBQ in the All evidence considered section:
      2017 - VA Neurologist put on the comments for my Primary Care Dr.
      For Fatigue please consider sleep study
      2021 - Was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea by private Sleep Doctor
      2021 - I got a Rating Code sheet and there no mention of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

When I filled the Pre discharge Disability I dont recall we talked about Fatigue syndrome so I am pretty sure it was not part of the claim, but somehow the VA ordered a DBQ for it maybe because it was within the 1yr mark since I got out that I was diagnoses with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Would this be considered some type of Duty to assist error? as the C&P Doctor said I was misdiagnosed but then the VA did not order a sleep study to figure out my fatigue back then.

So all this time I been having low energy levels / fatigue / sleepiness due to the Sleep Apnea since I got out but I was misdiagnosed and not given a sleep study. Heck even my primary care Doctor failed to follow the Neurologist suggestion to order me a Sleep study.

What are the chances that the VA would grant Sleep Apnea back to 2011 since I dont recall claiming it but again somehow they did a DBQ for the fatigue issue.

Thanks.
    • By Combat eng
      I applied for TDIU and was awaiting decision. I checked Ebenifits today and the VA increased my knee from 30% to 50% and my Major Depressive Disorder from 50% to 70% giving me a 90% rating. I haven't received any decision paperwork from the VA yet to see why I was denied TDIU. Once I receive it I'll be seeking more help from all of the great people here as to what I should do next. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

406%
    $6,103.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines