Jump to content
  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  •  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more


I am at 70% and have depression as one of my claims. I wanted to file for IU due to not able to hold employment due to depression as well as IBS. Do I do this on E Benefits?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Thanks Buck. Yeah 2 years ago I started voc rehab and am done in a week with the program. Since I started my conditions are getting much worse and as stated I was terminated from VA Hospital which i did security for as a contract employee. My doctor wrote that in notes that I was terminated due to my disabilities (. Unemployed currently - got fired by the VA Police due to depression. Working on his Bachelor's in business off and on.) My issue is that since I have started voc rehab my mental and physical conditions have grown much worse. I do understand though that what your saying Buck is that the VA is going to say I have a degree now and deny my IU. I just want them to understand my conditions have grown to the point that I do not believe I can hold a job.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 0

I would think just because you have a degree  don't necessary mean you can work, so you need good medical opinions from your Dr to state in his pro opinion that your S.C. Disability has worsen and keeps you from doing any type of employment including sedentary work .

(this is good evidence to send in)'' My doctor wrote that in notes that I was terminated due to my disabilities (. Unemployed currently''

Also a letter from your employer stating to the fact they let you go due to your S.C. Disability. 

if I was you and you want and need the IU to help you and your family financially (duh)

Ask your VA Rehab counselor if he/she can write  you the  training letter that you can't work due to your S.C. Disability  that letter is the gold standard for IU.

Also  He /She can add to the fact that  they notice you had a hard time in class due to your S.C. Disability and  that your disability had seem to worsen & recommends medical treatment.                                                  




Edited by Buck52

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

D, IU can and is, quite often Denied because the Rater determines that you can do Sedentary work even if it has nothing to do with your former employment or training.

A number of things come into the Sedentary Determination, education and work experience primarily.

A Nam Buddy (70% PTSD) was denied IU (10/12) based on the Rater's determination of his still being capable of Sedentary work due to his Corporate Work Experience and  Education (BA). After some discussion (06/13), he agreed to  try for for Voc Rehab Denial Letter (took Two Meetings with VRC) to add as New & Material Evidence for his DRO Hearing which finally resulted in an IU Award 09/15.  When it comes to IU or your States DAV Property Tax Exemption, the Voc Rehab Denial Letter is a piece of GOLD.

That VR Denial Letter not only Sealed the Deal at the DRO Hearing in 2015, but also got him The MI DAV Property Tax Exemption for both 2013 and 2014, when presented to his City Tax office in July 2014.

Re-apply to Voc Rehab, you'll get a New VRC. After discussing your current situation, quite possibly the VRC will agree that you're currently  Individually Unemployable, and provide you with the VR Denial Letter. Nothing to lose, right.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Will do all you suggest I can have my employer contract company write me a letter stating that I was terminated due to my depression as I do not believe the VA Hospital Chief of Police will do that for me as he was the person that terminated me. I did well in school but I did have issues during school that I needed to leave classes due to IBS and depression but I did finish the degree. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

GA i am told I cannot further any Voc Rehab as I have used all of it up and am maxed out. I was suggested to talk with my current Voc Rehab counselor and let him know I was terminated recently by employer due to my disabilities and that I do not believe I can hold down any job due to my conditions getting much worse. If my current Voc Rehab can write that up that I am not able to hold employment that would be very helpful. We shall see how that all goes soon.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • I filed for my mitral valve regurgitation heart disease secondary to a service-connected condition on 7-30-18. It was granted on 8-30-18. Since I filed for this heart valve issue and was awarded, can I still file for hypertension ? I have been seeing comments that you should file for hypertension first and file for heart disease as a secondary. Can I file for hypertension as a secondary to my heart disease ? I am alittle confused on this matter.

    • How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      • 5 replies
    • For Calculating Retro

      VA Disability Compensation Rates 2012 | 2011 | 2010-2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999

      Prior to 1999 check here https://www.hadit.com/va-disability-compensation-rates-historic-for-retro-calculation/
      • 0 replies
    • I am a 100% disabled veteran, At first I was super excited to find out I am getting retro pay for back benefits to 2006. But that was over 2 months ago. I been waiting and waiting and calling to ask them wheres my back pay. They first told me "one month" than I call again. The guy started reading a script of basically "we are malingering on paying you" type crap. I was wondering if there is any number I can call besides that 800-827-1000 number to inquire about my status. I don't know why its taken so long when there is specific information telling them from the judge that VA owes. 

      There was a remanded to see if I was eligible for IU (I get it now since 2014 im actually 90% with 10 of that been IU). I been on SS since 2004. Can Someone help me out? Thank you
      • 6 replies
    • You might have a 38 CFR 3.156 situation-

      meaning the VA might have considered your claim in 95/96 as "not well grounded" and failed to even get your STRs.Or they did get your STRs but never considered the specific entry you cited here.

      Lots of discussion under a search, of 38 CFR. 3.156 (a)(b) (c) ---here is a winner:



        • Thanks

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines