VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

I am at 70% and have depression as one of my claims. I wanted to file for IU due to not able to hold employment due to depression as well as IBS. Do I do this on E Benefits?

D, IU can and is, quite often Denied because the Rater determines that you can do Sedentary work even if it has nothing to do with your former employment or training.

A number of things come into the Sedentary Determination, education and work experience primarily.

A Nam Buddy (70% PTSD) was denied IU (10/12) based on the Rater's determination of his still being capable of Sedentary work due to his Corporate Work Experience and  Education (BA). After some discussion (06/13), he agreed to  try for for Voc Rehab Denial Letter (took Two Meetings with VRC) to add as New & Material Evidence for his DRO Hearing which finally resulted in an IU Award 09/15.  When it comes to IU or your States DAV Property Tax Exemption, the Voc Rehab Denial Letter is a piece of GOLD.

That VR Denial Letter not only Sealed the Deal at the DRO Hearing in 2015, but also got him The MI DAV Property Tax Exemption for both 2013 and 2014, when presented to his City Tax office in July 2014.

Re-apply to Voc Rehab, you'll get a New VRC. After discussing your current situation, quite possibly the VRC will agree that you're currently  Individually Unemployable, and provide you with the VR Denial Letter. Nothing to lose, right.

Will do all you suggest I can have my employer contract company write me a letter stating that I was terminated due to my depression as I do not believe the VA Hospital Chief of Police will do that for me as he was the person that terminated me. I did well in school but I did have issues during school that I needed to leave classes due to IBS and depression but I did finish the degree. 

GA i am told I cannot further any Voc Rehab as I have used all of it up and am maxed out. I was suggested to talk with my current Voc Rehab counselor and let him know I was terminated recently by employer due to my disabilities and that I do not believe I can hold down any job due to my conditions getting much worse. If my current Voc Rehab can write that up that I am not able to hold employment that would be very helpful. We shall see how that all goes soon.

Consider this, even if your VR is used up, you're still eligible for the VA Independent Living Program which is actually administered by the Voc Rehab Dept using the VRC's as IL Councilors.

Do you have the name and/or Email of your previous VRC? Calling the VR Dept should get you the VRC's email. Email, as opposed to a walk-in or phone call, might be the best way to address your Employment problem.

Gastone thanks yeah i am meeting with my VR Counselor very soon as it is procedure upon graduation from Voc Rehab. My goal is to receive IU not the independent living program but that is an option which I appreciate you pointing out. I am trying to just stay focused on the goal and not get too much going on in my head as it makes my depression worse. 

My doctor is very concerned about my MH state at this moment and is very supportive. It will help me to keep her informed about my status and to have her support when I go for my IU. If she assists in wring a letter of my MH state and physical state will this not help me? I am very lucky to have the VA Doctor that I have she is a one of a kind.