VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

I am at 70% and have depression as one of my claims. I wanted to file for IU due to not able to hold employment due to depression as well as IBS. Do I do this on E Benefits?

Update I have the claim in the system as of December 22 2017 as Intent to File. I have stopped at that not continuing the claim as I want to speak with my VSO first. Now what should I look to do?

Update I have the claim in the system as of December 22 2017 as Intent to File. I have stopped at that not continuing the claim as I want to speak with my VSO first. Now what should I look to do?

i just completed Voc Rehab after 2 years graduating in a month. The problem is in this time I was terminated from employment already had and it was due to my disabilities. My MH and IBS are getting much worse and I have always had problems keeping employment due to depression so as I found out recently that I qualified to put in for IU I decided to apply for it. That is where I stand right now;

• HadIt.com Elder

your choice!

I prefer to file on e benefits  it's a lot faster, just make sure your VSO submits all your evidence and keep copy's of everything he/she sends. 

Also be good to file the ITF (INTENT TO FILE)

Keep in Close Contact with your VSO.

IF YOU already been in Voc-Rehab  and they can't find you any job you can do because of your S.C. Disability the Voc Rehab counselor should have written you a letter stating its not feasible to retrain this veteran at this time due to his S.C. Disability's/Disability

That letter can be used as evidence when you actually file your FDC Claim for IU

If you graduate from Voc Rehab  after 2 years and  have a degree?  and you can use that in finding a Job then you will be denied for the IU .

but you state you can't work  so you will need a Dr to state that and why.

Remember you have a Year if you filed the ITF  Intent to File)..to gather your evidence and  any medical records & Dr 's Reports that will be favorable to your claim .

Filing the INT is not the same as actually filing for the IU it just lets the VA know you intend to file a claim for IU  And you have 12 months to do so.

Edited by Buck52

Thanks Buck. Yeah 2 years ago I started voc rehab and am done in a week with the program. Since I started my conditions are getting much worse and as stated I was terminated from VA Hospital which i did security for as a contract employee. My doctor wrote that in notes that I was terminated due to my disabilities (. Unemployed currently - got fired by the VA Police due to depression. Working on his Bachelor's in business off and on.) My issue is that since I have started voc rehab my mental and physical conditions have grown much worse. I do understand though that what your saying Buck is that the VA is going to say I have a degree now and deny my IU. I just want them to understand my conditions have grown to the point that I do not believe I can hold a job.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would think just because you have a degree  don't necessary mean you can work, so you need good medical opinions from your Dr to state in his pro opinion that your S.C. Disability has worsen and keeps you from doing any type of employment including sedentary work .

(this is good evidence to send in)'' My doctor wrote that in notes that I was terminated due to my disabilities (. Unemployed currently''

Also a letter from your employer stating to the fact they let you go due to your S.C. Disability. 

if I was you and you want and need the IU to help you and your family financially (duh)

Ask your VA Rehab counselor if he/she can write  you the  training letter that you can't work due to your S.C. Disability  that letter is the gold standard for IU.

Also  He /She can add to the fact that  they notice you had a hard time in class due to your S.C. Disability and  that your disability had seem to worsen & recommends medical treatment.                                                  

Edited by Buck52