VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

I am at 70% and have depression as one of my claims. I wanted to file for IU due to not able to hold employment due to depression as well as IBS. Do I do this on E Benefits?

Was your MH C & P conducted at your VMC? If so, you should be able to obtain a copy of the DBQ from either the VMC Med Rec Dept or actually off your MHV Blue Button "Clinician Treatment Notes" for the date of the C & P.

To use the IL Program, a Comp Vet just has to have the same qualifying SC % (20 or 30%) required to get into the VR Program. I'm not sure, never really gave it any thought but Vet Pension Recipients might also be eligible for the IL program.

as a side bar - I was in Voc Rehab - and graduated the same month I was awarded IU - I have 2 A. S.. degrees and one BS. so it is "possible to get IU with education. 

Hello. I have an update and questions. Today I met with my Voc Rehab Counselor. I graduated yesterday so today was to meet counselor to discuss next step to seek employment. I informed him that I was not able to maintain employment due to my depression and ibs worsening. He stated ok he would write me a feasibility letter stating at this time I am unable to work due to my disabilities. Of course he reiterated that he would not himself state it that he was deciding this. He understands that I am seeking IU. My question is this helpful that he is writing this feasibility letter stating that I cannot work? I am taking the feasibility letter when he is done then going to my VR to file for IU. Also will it be a bad idea to try to work while I am waiting for the claim to be decided. This is going to be a hardship financially since I no longer am receiving my school stipend.

I am currently in the Voc rehab program and I just recently got approved for IU from the BVA which is still being developed at my RO but as to whether or not you should work while your seeking IU, I would be very careful about keeping any full-time employment during this period and Even part-time could work against you when it comes to their decision.  Being that you completed the Voc Rehab program and began to work right after would seem as though improvement had been made and in my opinion could ruin any chances for IU.  Please keep in mind that this is my personal opinion. 

LJ, after an IU Award, you can start or continue to work part-time at  somewhat marginal employment, as long as you don't exceed the SGI $12,400. Just be sure to file an accurate yearly IU Anniversary Date required 21-2140.

An IU Vet can attempt to renter the work force earning well in excess of the SGI. If the Gainful Employment is held for (12) consecutive (Uninterrupted due to SC's) months and reported on his yearly 21-2140 or picked up in an IRS crosscheck, an IU Rating Dept Reduction Notification would be expected.

3 minutes ago, Gastone said:

LJ, after an IU Award, you can start or continue to work part-time at  somewhat marginal employment, as long as you don't exceed the SGI $12,400. Just be sure to file an accurate yearly IU Anniversary Date required 21-2140.

An IU Vet can attempt to renter the work force earning well in excess of the SGI. If the Gainful Employment is held for (12) consecutive (Uninterrupted due to SC's) months and reported on his yearly 21-2140 or picked up in an IRS crosscheck, an IU Rating Dept Reduction Notification would be expected.

Thanks Gastone, I plan to continue with my Voc Rehab and continue my medical appointments and try and better myself in any way possible, As for extra income I have read the regulations over and over and I was surprised to find the 12 month rule. Any extra income for myself would come from rental properties, this allows me to keep my distance from any drama because I can hire a property management company. I've only received my BVA award letter on DEC 1st so I don't know specifics of when this will take effect but was told they are EEDing it to Jan 2011 and also I was awarded SMC (s). So just waiting for the RO 

Sorry I hijacked the post Ddsr.