VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Re-exam after two years of being 70%

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What is required or to submit to keep the 70% PTSD if and when I may get called into a PTSD Dairy C&P?  (note:) I am not asking for increase!

What evidence Do they want? progress notes off myhealthyvet? 

Treatment sessions for two years? 

Will they take older records that I submitted for the original claim?

I think they may want to see if my PTSD has got better?

I think its still the same although therapy sessions have been every week and bi weekly now after two  1/2 years.  ( in therapy constant) never missed an appointment.

The only thing I can say is that I can sleep a little better than I used to because the meds knock me out  & a C-PAP Machine DX by VA AFTER I WAS DX FOR PTSD.

but I still have flash backs  N/M's 3 or more times a week. & feel jumpi all the time and non-sociable in a sociable setting..but the therapist don't put that in his notes.

I always mention all this to him at my sessions.

So what do they (Examiner) want to look at besides my treatment notes? Will examiner let me speak up during the exam? usually they just read off the computer and make a decision.

I need to make sure I have the therapy notes in my favor that my PTSD is about the same? correct.?  I been DX  70% PTSD & Service Connected for it about 30 months now.

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You got that right Hardway71

On 3/16/2018 at 7:56 AM, Hardway71 said:

@broncovet Great info posted here, and most appreciated!!  I was given a 30% SC rating for PTSD at my discharge from service in 2002... I was under rated. Took me until 2009 to get my gumption up, with the support of a group of great Vietnam Vets that I had met, to file a claim for increase. That was settled in 2012 when they granted 50% retro to July of 2009 and then 70% retro to September of 2009. That's where I'm currently still at, but I had a regular comp and pen exam for PTSD scheduled in June 2016 where they maintained my 70%.  The new kicker is that I got surprised with another comp and pen exam for PTSD that I just attended March 7th. I don't know why 2 exams so close together, and I'm sweating the outcome of this one right now. Doesn't seem right that the VA shoulcc be allowed to wreak so much havoc upon a vet's life with these ridiculous stressful exams when you're already just trying to keep your head above water. 

I trust no one.

Edited by kent101

• HadIt.com Elder

Just my 2 cents

I agree with everyone here as for as what has been said.

I just want to add  some times  WE veteran can get to paranoid about a C&P especially a PTSD C&P

and after the exam and you get your decision  it's better than what you were thinking...not all the time this happens but when we think the worst...the worst the worst it becomes but not every time  because sometimes were very surprised and a correct favorable decision was made.

The examiner might ask how are you today?  your response to that is very important....just say'' well I am here so it's not all that great of a day for me'' or something to this effect.

I would suggest to not dwell on the upcoming exam, and just be honest with all answers your asked, report your worst days and how this affects your family life, take your spouse with you and she can let the examiner know how the PTSD affects everyone in the family. (if not married  take your G/F or best friend someone that knows you very well.

I told my PTSD Examiner ''I have put my family through hell and yet they stay with me as I looked at my spouse setting beside me  in the eyes as tears rolled out of my eyes,I also have put myself in therapy sessions and I am learning to cope with the high anxiety with the tools that are available to me and it's helping me but I know I have a long old road to travel.   

Never lie to this examiner  if you tell him/her anything make damn sure you can back it up   with medical documentation or documents as your evidence  just say  it's in the computer please see my notes.

After the exam is over stand up shake the examiner hand and thank him/her for her valuable time and allowing you to present your testimony and have a nice day ect,,ect,,,

Remember no matter what happens they can't eat you or play God   You in all reality should not be concerned with the monetary part  it's the getting better  learning to use the tools to cope better these are parts that are more important,,

Last but not least We always can Appeal the decision we get if we feel its wrong.-=.as most veterans should realize that at this point.

The "eg" above, means "for example".  This is important.  It does not mean you have to have phlebitis or heart disease to qualify under "diseases subject to episodic improvement".  It means ANY disease subject to episodic improvement.  

Let me give another example:  Depression or PTSD.  You do not have to have symptoms 100 percent of the time to obtain benefits for depression or PTSD.  Its not required you wear a tshirt which states, "I have PTSD" leave me alone.  NO.  A Veteran, when he goes for a c and p exam, reports his WORST symptoms.  Its fine to feel great on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, but on Wednesday you get in a fight with your wife because you have a flashback and she tries to wake you.  PTSD is quite episodic.  It would be rare for a PTSD Vet to experience PTSD symptoms ALL of the time.  Gee, I bet the PTSD Vet feels fine when he has a good time at his daughters birthday party.  No symptoms of PTSD then, but no reduction, either.