VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Re-exam after two years of being 70%

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What is required or to submit to keep the 70% PTSD if and when I may get called into a PTSD Dairy C&P?  (note:) I am not asking for increase!

What evidence Do they want? progress notes off myhealthyvet? 

Treatment sessions for two years? 

Will they take older records that I submitted for the original claim?

I think they may want to see if my PTSD has got better?

I think its still the same although therapy sessions have been every week and bi weekly now after two  1/2 years.  ( in therapy constant) never missed an appointment.

The only thing I can say is that I can sleep a little better than I used to because the meds knock me out  & a C-PAP Machine DX by VA AFTER I WAS DX FOR PTSD.

but I still have flash backs  N/M's 3 or more times a week. & feel jumpi all the time and non-sociable in a sociable setting..but the therapist don't put that in his notes.

I always mention all this to him at my sessions.

So what do they (Examiner) want to look at besides my treatment notes? Will examiner let me speak up during the exam? usually they just read off the computer and make a decision.

I need to make sure I have the therapy notes in my favor that my PTSD is about the same? correct.?  I been DX  70% PTSD & Service Connected for it about 30 months now.

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I agree totally with you Buck.......anytime they want a Vet to do another C & P exam the intent, in my opinion, is to see if they can reduce - not help.   My  last C &P exam was a total joke taking all of 15 minutes, if that, and thrown maybe 6-8 questions.  That guy in charge of ENT at VAMC is not only a hard ass pro-VA, but he got my claim mixed up with another 20-year Veteran  ( I served 3)  and placed erroneous data into my C &P report that belonged to him.  That is now included in my Appeal that I am still waiting out now.  He's retiring I've been told and all I can say is don't let the door kick you in the butt......can't happen fast enough for Vets to have a real fighting chance.  That C & P exam hurt me as I should have been rated right the first time and not be waiting on an Appeal to right several wrongs and screw ups on behalf of the examiner. I agree the only sure thing is getting to the 20-year-mark to end the assault on existing disabilities.

Edited by Wayne TX

On 1/7/2018 at 10:04 AM, Buck52 said:

What is required or to submit to keep the 70% PTSD if and when I may get called into a PTSD Dairy C&P?  (note:) I am not asking for increase!

What evidence Do they want? progress notes off myhealthyvet? 

Treatment sessions for two years? 

Will they take older records that I submitted for the original claim?

I think they may want to see if my PTSD has got better?

I think its still the same although therapy sessions have been every week and bi weekly now after two  1/2 years.  ( in therapy constant) never missed an appointment.

The only thing I can say is that I can sleep a little better than I used to because the meds knock me out  & a C-PAP Machine DX by VA AFTER I WAS DX FOR PTSD.

but I still have flash backs  N/M's 3 or more times a week. & feel jumpi all the time and non-sociable in a sociable setting..but the therapist don't put that in his notes.

I always mention all this to him at my sessions.

So what do they (Examiner) want to look at besides my treatment notes? Will examiner let me speak up during the exam? usually they just read off the computer and make a decision.

I need to make sure I have the therapy notes in my favor that my PTSD is about the same? correct.?  I been DX  70% PTSD & Service Connected for it about 30 months now.

Buck, from what I read on the citation nr: the VA has to show sustained improvement for a year to reduce a rating. If you have a few records during the year showing your symptoms then you can know you have evidence you need to win at the BVA. That's why I'm going to the VA and if they refuse to record symptoms I'll get a few appointments with a private doc who will record symptoms to cover my back.

That is correct "sustained improvement"...and this is why PTSD vets should make sure they have continuous treatment and med records for their PTSD...... otherwise VA can considered them to be "cured".

My dead husband (rated at 30 at the time for PTSD) received long ago a proposed reduction to 10%.1988

Their rationale was he had acquired a VA job the VA had deemed as "Substantial "employment (which only occurred when the VA feared an EEOC case, that I explained in the NOD. The Director of this VAMC , I named as a witness, and also myself)

The VA job also was only part time and far below his past employment as a Nuclear Power Plant Equipment Operator and PHVAC. The local VA  personnel director was fired due to this fiasco.long story.

But the worse part of their ridiculous rationale was using  his college status under Voc Rehab . He had finished only  One Semester of Voc Rehab and I stated in the NOD that one semester of college does not make anyone a Rocket scientist. Also he had to request acommodations to his PTSD at the college and was also getting tutoring because his grades were not good. I sent them proof of all that with the NOD.

I used the exact regulations they used for the proposed reduction against them.And plain old common sense and the VA dropped the proposed reduction.

This was in 1988. His last award (posthumously) on the PTSD was 100% P & T due to PTSD, retro to 1991.

That too goes to show how ludicrous the 1988 proposal was.

I dont think you need to worry at all.

I hate when I meet a new VA Psych Doc or Medical Doc and they always claim to find a way to cure us. If we could be normal, we would drink or shoot up whatever the Docs recommended. I just recently excepted the fact that there is a such thing as PTSD. I was raised Mexican and taught that there are no mental health diseases, only week people. Took me years to realize that I do have PTSD and all I can do is the best I can, and try not to kill myself or others while processing this bad crap that we go thru on a daily basis. Didnt mean to interrupt the thread, just so so tired of the Damn govt breaking us, and then they treat us like crap, and expect us to just sit back and not say a word about it. Hope you all had a good weekend. God Bless

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that Navy04,

They have my therapy sessions all screwed up  my old therapist had Back Surgery  he is a Veteran also  he is my L.C.S.W -S3

Everything was going ok until he had to have the Back Surgery Back in Nov 2017  my last appointment with him was Nov13th I believe.

Anyway now I have a New Female Therapist and older lady  been with the VA 30 years  she is a little higher up than my old Therapist  she is a L.C.S.W-S-4.

I am not sure I will ''click'' with her???she seems setting her ways and stern very stern.

Her last VAMC to work at wa Washington D.C. she was the head therapist and got all the Mean cussing out of control PTSD Vets  so she says.

Anyway I have had about 4 sessions with her so for and none was talking about how I can make things better for me or cope better , just mostly talk about her background and she says she is just getting to know me and me know her and on our next sessions she will get back to therapy and give me home work to do. WTF?

However none of this was placed in myhealthvet notes   she just puts the same thing in those notes every time  like ''working with vet that has anxiety and sometimes chronic and were working together'' ,'' I am teaching the vet to learn to cope with anxiety and to breath in slow count to 4  then breath out and hold it '' ect,,,ect,,,

I don't see how this therapist is helping me   when My old therapist would at least listen to me and let me know things to try & if they don't work we will do something different  no matter how long that takes...I wish I had my old therapist back.

And today the VA called about 7:15am and said my therapist was out today and cancelled my Appointment...they said she would rescheduled.....eh!

The Clerks said that can't talk to me about my old Therapist Medical problems  but said it looks like he is going to be out at least a Year....eh!  wtf?

@Buck52 if you are 100% P&T...did your AB8 letter say, "No Future Exams Required?"  I only ask this, because you mentioned that you were 100% P&T...just curious if it did OR DID NOT say No Future Exams.  I am trying to see if the VA ever contradicts the - NO FUTURE EXAMS - comment when they send out an AB8 Letter to Vets.