VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Better to report medical conditions while still in military!

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I just wanted to let active military personal know that its a lot better to have any and all medical conditions reported or Documented while your still in the military.

Do not Put off going to the Docs while your still in the military, a lot of us older Nam Vets  put off going to the dispensary or sick call for aches and pains  for  (proud reasons or that it was just something we chalk up not to seek medical help .

and THAT is a BIG MISTAKE

...for compensation claims purposes later on down the road after your out  if you had any of your conditions documented while in military no matter what it is..   it makes it a lot easier  for service connection to be established.  if you ever come down with something that you had while in the military or it gets a lot worse

so while your still active in military  if you have any medical condition that you get while serving  go see the Dr's   you maybe glad you did in the future and it sure could help your life for the better.

JMO

My 24 year old grandson gets tired of me preaching this to him .''.as he says ok grandpa I will'', he is a combat medic station in Z Africa under special operations for his deployment to?? he don't know  he sent us a Christmas video and he look so tired out and bored. he said he was in weapons trainning at the moment...and is locked and loaded when the time comes.

Edited by Buck52

Yes I agree it would be better to document the medical issues while you are still in service, but even then that doesn't mean a claim will be granted.

In My time,  sleep apnea and PTSD did not even have a name so they would not be in the medical record.

In other instances it took me years to get claims granted even when the service records showed treatment. 

In other cases, your can get service connection for secondary conditions as well, of course most of the time the secondary condition would not be in the service medical records either

On 5/12/2018 at 7:01 AM, Victor Ray said:

I hope it is. I still cant get my Service Treatment Records per executive privilege. The VA has misled me my entire Adult life after medical evacuation out of Vietnam. They have lied the last four years and are probably lying today, and the VSOs are ignorant or VA employees, or both.

A WARNING: any surviving spouse must have their own individual autopsy on their passed spouse or you likely will be screwed. Hire a lawyer and have him arrange the autopsy and you communicate with the lawyer.

the VA will have their own done and try to say it is anything but a service connected condition that killed your loved one. I have been lied to for 47 years and can’t get my records. Now, if I do get 100 finally, I will never live the 8 or 10years they require. They did this to screw my wife. I will have to sue to get my medical records and have to sue for a lot of things to have the law squeeze a little honesty out of the VA. Pure corruption in St. Louis. You can’t trust any of them to do right!

Keep fighting my brother. Never give up. Continue to study study study and seek those vets that have good knowledge. Not sure if you are TDIU or waiting to get scheduler. Sorry to hear about your spouse and how the VA is handling this. Prayers.

I wish I knew the reason for the VA misleading us as we are pushed along the paths to our end. I completely believe that DAV is actually DVA. They are the worse liars of all so called VSOs. No VSOs actually fightfor you and none actually know the law. The VA trains all of them to do what the VA wants. Believe it or not, because you will anyway.

file your claim, and if the outcome is lowballed, get an attorney, especially if the VA has Lied about your records. They will make sure I die before resolution, and I have come to see that I will always be part of the Agent Orange cover-up. 

Dont waste your life waiting on VSOs to help you. I was screwed out of a life with benefits, and the VA needs much encouragement to be honest! Believe what you will and good luck!

victor ray

On 1/19/2019 at 2:31 AM, Ddsr said:

Keep fighting my brother. Never give up. Continue to study study study and seek those vets that have good knowledge. Not sure if you are TDIU or waiting to get scheduler. Sorry to hear about your spouse and how the VA is handling this. Prayers.

Thank you. I should have been medically retired and they know it,but will deny everything that I say. They still are withholding the information and I am hoping a lawyer can get it. The VA is simply abusing its power, denying the known truth! Thanks for the encouragement, but I do not have hope for justice in my life time. What a mess. Prayers are appreciated. Thank You!

victor ray

On 1/19/2019 at 3:31 AM, Ddsr said:

I got off active duty 1993. No one briefed me or explained the VA to me. I didn't file my first claim until 2015. i was way behind the power curve when i started. Any suggestions would be helpful  i was not s sick call ranger

14 hours ago, dapilgrim said:

I got off active duty 1993. No one briefed me or explained the VA to me. I didn't file my first claim until 2015. i was way behind the power curve when i started. Any suggestions would be helpful  i was not s sick call ranger

I was too in the same boat . I was honorably discharged in 1996 and never had discharge physical. I left with a sick child and couldn’t even get 90d worth of medication . To make a long story short .. 2012 I lost my job and was looking for work when I stumbled across volunteers of America and they ask me if I filed any claims which I said no. I then got assistance and filed a claim on my painful appendectomy scars and had no idea what I was doing. I received 0% . Then in 2015 I was ask if I ever filed a claim for my ptsd due to getting treatment and again said no becsause I didn’t know I had ptsd from MST. I filed 2015 and received 50%. Then I ask why nobody helped me in 1996. I was struggling had no job and a sick baby. My response was “ ma’am is was a missed opportunity” nothing I could do  now but move forward with such hate and anger built up. Why after I served my time nobody cares about me.... as you can tell we aren’t the only ones. Look at the Vietnam Vets just filing claims. I have such  bitterness in my heart out military would do is this way. Now I’m 100% from 2015 50% 2017 grantees 70% and then ramp appeal granted me 100%. So go to a veteran service office or DAV tell them your circumstances but you too do your job. Get all your records from non va facilities , friends and family to build your case. Be prepared and fight back. I hope this helps and keep your head up.