VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received BBE

Rate this question

Holllie Greene

Question

Hi,

I finally got the BBE yesterday.  My efforts were a total waste of time.

1)   Worsening of MS--I did not have to use a walker all the time, increased urge to urinate, LOU of left hand ---due to major MS flare last year.  Had C&P. BUT IT WAS DENIED.  MS does not ever get better it gets worse.

2)   Secondary service connected cataracts due to Prednisone use for MS flares.  Denied.  Glad to have my eyesight of course (surgery done by local non-VA ophthalmologist---my private BC/BS insurance paid for one eye and Veterans Choice paid for other eye) but there was a time my eyesight was bad.

WASTE OF TIME GOING TO PALO ALTO VA for C & P exams.  WASTE OF TIME.  WASTE OF TIME.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry about your denials.  However, almost all Vets who win benefits do so in appeals.  I certainly am one, Berta, and Alex, for sure, did not win until they got into appeals.  

Its the VA way.  

File your NOD, and use the denial reasons and bases against them to refute it.    You may need an IMO/IME, or, go to a different VAMC.  

Hi Broncovet,

...denials happen.  Thank you for acknowledging my situation.  Yesterday I was so shocked I did not even eat dinner.  My attitude was "Eff-it" but this morning I felt and still feel like a tremendous weight has been lifted.  I can't explain it.

I read Alex's article about the raters being known as coaches and gleaned more info from that along with smiles at his writing style (I especially love the one about the raters and how a medical doctor gave up his practice to work as a rater---hilarious).

So, next week it is off to the county VSO (is he really a shill for the VA?) to initiate a NOD.  The visits to the county VSO office are always fraught with drama and yelling from one particular VSO (the last time my husband and I went he yelled at me for no reason and demanded to know from my husband what a fully developed claim was.)  Yeah right, this VSO is buds with the new boss so no one is going to nark him out.  As far as my hubby knowing what a fully developed claim is---no chance of that b/c my hubby was never in the military.  When my 6 foot 2 hubby stood up the VSO finally shut his trap.  Oh it is such a comedy show with that office.:ohmy:

Several months ago, Buck suggested I work my own claim but I think I would make the situation even worse.

Anyway, I appreciate your advice about the denial reasons and bases.  Thank you.

H

Kev, unless something has drastically changed at the VARO's, DRO Review Decisions are still taking from 2 to 4 years. "An answer pretty quick," is overly optimistic.

HG, VA SC Denials are generally the rule rather than the exception. File your NOD immediately requesting a DRO Hearing as opposed to the Standard DRO Review. You'll have a couple years to get your Medical Evidence squared away. While your waiting, if another possible Direct or Secondary SC issue is DX'd, file a New Claim immediately.

As to your VSO situation, switch VSO's. You might get some push back from a new VSO if you're on Appeal but just push back yourself and demand to switch.

You don't need to use a VSO to file your NOD or for that matter anything else. Why not just do it yourself, easier and less grief and aggravation than the trip to the VSO. However you decide to do it, be sure you retain copies of everything filed on your behalf. If you DIY your NOD, be sure to mail it "US Mail Certified Return Receipt".

Hi Kevin T. and Gastone,

Kevin T., that is a good idea about the IME---I know a doctor who used to work at the local VA clinic and now in private practice so making an appt. is in my future.  Thank you for that reasonable advice.

Hi Gastone, I do expect pushback from the visit to the VSO office next week, my husband is all geared up for it and I advised him to cool his jets and wait to see what happens.  Going by the one VSO's attitude I would think he would be glad to get rid of my case.  Thank you for your advice also, I appreciate it.

I am very much tempted to work this claim myself but my husband thinks that it would be "running away" so to speak.  I feel bad I have had to expose my hub to all this but he has been exposed so it is too late to take it back.

Many thanks to both of you kind gentlemen.

I will post details of the VSO visit next week.

HG