VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Roseburg Refusing Care

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, broncovet said:

You are clearly a man of good conscience and we need more like you but INSIDE the VA lolz. As for my personal anility to travel it is very limited. I only just months ago came off crutches, after getting out of the wheelchair, from a Harley Davidson ride that thankfully only bent the Harley a little lolz. It is amazing at how many things inside my body went "pop" that night but I thinkit was about half of me. My legs have no real sensation below the knees but I can walk with just a staff now. Travel to the new clinic by city bus takes me about six minutes but to be honest I have not been off my river island home since my last VA mental health visit now years ago. I can't travel as a practical matter but I appreciate you are trying to help. I am a Marine, honorably discharged. I served honorably in the Oregon Army Nat. Guard. I guess I never got over the feeling that if I walked away from this that somehow I would look at myself as a coward. I lost count how many times I have faced death and missed it by inches. It is a lot and nearly all of those I called "friend" are gone. 

My fellow vet I cannot walk away and still look myself in the eyes. It is good advice to walk away from a fight and if you elect to travel many leagues distant to avoid your local VA then I think it is just fine. 

I will not walk away from this fight and I will face them down for one reason alone - it forces them to face me.

Semper Fi

2 minutes ago, broncovet said:

f your differences with VA Rosenberg management are "irreconcilable" then consider another VAMC.  VA will likely give you "travel pay" to the other VAMC in the circumstances.  

I have an "indirect" family member who wont use the local VAMC, but commutes instead about an hour and a half away.  I am almost certain he gets paid travel pay for about 150 miles, round trip, with each appointment.  He is also a PTSD Vet who could not get along with my local VAMC management.  

It works out well for him.  I think its about 41.5 cents a mile, but with an 18 dollar monthly deductable.  

So he gets over 50 dollars each trip to his appointment, and his gas is less than half of that.  

I dont know if that will work for you or not.  You may even be able to take public transportation, and I dont know if that affects your travel pay or not.  Probably not.  You also may get the DAV/VFW vans to transport you, if that works better for you.  But I dont think you get travel pay if you use the DAV van.  I think the DAV gets that travel pay, then.  

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Tbird said:

@Ginterkill I'm not sure we can help you with your issues, I think Broncovet gave you some good suggestions.

Agreed. You have an excellent forum and I am sure many benefit. I am certain that our mutual idealogical values differ in regards to the newt way to handle problems at VA, but at the same time I recognize that your friends advice to me seems to parallel that generally of what a major  veteran service organization (VSO) would pass along. So whilst I might not agree with that approach I recognize the value of it. God Bless and Semper Fi.

Not exactly.  A VSO is paid, at least in part, by VA.  For example, they get "free rent" from VA in VAMC's and VARO's.  And, the charter to most VSO's say they have to "cooperate with VA".  

I signed no such agreement to "cooperate with VA", and I dont get paid by VA for my advice, I am a volunteer.

I receive no compensation from anyone for my advice.  My "bosses" do not make 300,000 per year, like some of the VSO's.  

In fact, I am one of the Veterans advocates who almost never recommends a VSO.  And I have good reasons:

They cost me money, and even more.  I lost my home waiting on VA benefits, in part due to VA ineptness, and in part they got "some help" from my VSO.  

VSO's advocate NOT using an attorney, and I, sir, believe this is a choice which should be made by the Veteran, and the VSO's have absolutely no right to "limit" our due process by forbiding us hiring an attorney.  

You could hire an attorney, too.  Here is a list of attorney's who represent Veterans:

https://vetadvocates.org/welcome/find-an-attorney/

I personally have elected to hire an attorney, and declined to let the VSO's represent me.  Even tho they "say" their representation is "free", I know enough to know there is no free lunch.  And no free rent, either.  

Someday, I may be able to calculate how much my "free" VSO cost me in lost benefits.  Its a bunch. 

The people who know me on this board know that my advice rarely parallels a VSO.   

Edited by broncovet
add more.

If you can not drive to your VAMC, there is help available.  At my VAMC, for example, the DAV, VFW, etc all have vans in which they transport wounded Vets, like yourself, who for one reason or another can not drive to the VAMC.  I beleive they provide this transportation at no cost to you.  

????  Why would you want to go to a place that treated you badly?  That makes no sense.  Remmember, the VA never fires people they just move them around like silly putty.  Push here, pull there.

Also, a person or a place can deny you service if they have a reason.  That is just the way it works.

You were probably justified in your complaints regards the VA, but you are now expecting them to forget that and start over.

I have been at both ends of this and my best advice is find a new doctor (or nurse practitioner) in the VA system if you want to use the VA.

If I need(ed) help, I go to someone I like or at least trust.  And I know "trust" in the VA can be a fleeting thing.

FWIW,

Hamslice