HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

11%
    $175.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

How to properly revoke a power of attorney from your veterans service organization

Question

I am wondering what the proper procedure is for revoking my vso's poa and representing my claim myself.  I contacted my regional VA office in reference to the matter and they informed me that I needed to fill out a form 21-22 and fax it in to the office.  I noticed that form 21-22 is the power of attorney form for adding a vso which I do not want to do.  I looked at the form 21-22a (for adding an individual) but think it would be silly to fill out a form to give poa to myself.  I really don't want the VSO that I am currently involved with to have access to my records.  I understand from doing a few searches on this subject that it may be a difficult procedure, but I did not see anywhere that actually stated a procedure to accomplish this.  Thanks for any help in the matter.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Another great question.  VA makes it easy to do a POA, and its also easy to change from one VSO to another, as the new VSO POA automatically revokes the old one.  

The VA probably does not have a form for this because they really dont want you to go Pro Se, they want you to have a VSO, which is mostly under VA's control.  The VA is defiantely a "control freak".  They snub their nose at the polce as they have their own Kestone Cops, the VAOIG, and they dont really listen to congress either, as congress inquires have been simply ignored on more than one occassion.  

They dont like the presidents hotline, and they certainly dont want Vets calling the RO to try to get anything done.  In short, the VA is a control freak, with their self proclomation of things like, "All claims are different" so they do not have any deadlines on themsleves, but strictly impose deadlines for Veterans.  

I suggest you try sending a 21-4138 revoking your old POA.  Again, VA will choose whether or not to comply with their own regulations or not.  

Really as far as I know there is no specified procedure, you just file another group as your POA.  I would at least have a vet's group have your POA since you can at the very least call them and ask them to look up stuff for you on the system that you cannot see.  Even if you represent yourself you should have someone to look over your shoulder to make sure you are not messing yourself up.  Before I had a lawyer I had a state representative but I wrote all of my own appeal paperwork.  Good luck and do not give up.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By blahsaysme2u
      I just had a very interesting conversation with my VSO and wanted to check out the truth of the matter. I have never heard this argument nor does it make sense to me. 
      I am trying to get an increase for my migraine headaches. I was having headaches 3-4x a week! with at least 1 prostrating(i would not be able to do anything, would have to go lay down and be away from noise or light or distraction due to the pain etc). I filed for migraine claim and they denied at first then gave me 0%. Now i am trying for increase. Now my VSO says i will never get the increase because i am on medication.
      I have been seeing a neuro doc at the va that gave me meds that have been a miracle. I have not had a migraine in a few months now. It has been amazing. 
      so my question: i don't see how getting treatment for something changes how my va rating should be. if i lost a limb and they gave me a prosthetic, they wouldn't take away Service Rating or decrease that? How about sleep apnea; I dont get less service connection because i use a CPAP, i get more?!?!? shouldn't the fact that i require medication for the rest of my life to manage migraines show a worse condition? My VSO said its the same with blood pressure, that if you take meds and its managed then you lose your SC. is any of this true? 
      I gave a hypothetical: what if they discover a magic pill that cures all us vets from PTSD but we have to take these pills for the rest of our lives. that means we would all loose our service connection for PTSD if we start taking them? what if we missed a dose? what if they get lost in the mail? (which has happened with my meds plenty)
      i just can't wrap my head around this flawed logic of a treated disability is no longer a disability. 
      Thanks guys
    • By KC3
      The USDVA will not give my representative at the ?DVA access to my file. I filled another POA out after 2 years and it was submitted to the USDVA several months ago.
      How do I get the USDVA to release my records to my rep? 
    • By GBArmy
      One thing that I am curious about is the Power of Attorney (POA) that a veteran signs off on to a VSO, such as the VFW or DAV. I understand the function of the VSO, but what is the VSO's incentive? I expect someone, perhaps Brokensoldier for one, would have first hand knowledge. I'm thinking it is directly or indirectly connected to a financial incentive. Maybe, the VA pays "X" to the VSO organization for ever veteran they represent say on a monthly basis. If it isn't financial, what is it?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 12 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines