VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

So Confused

Rate this question

sovereign

Question

Hello everyone- I just discovered this site and am wondering if anyone could offer some guidance. While stationed in Sicily in 1979, I was in a head-on auto collision. Since Sigonella didn't have a hospital, I was medivac-ed to Naples where I had surgery for broken feet (with surgical screw) and broken knee. After a week, the nurse threatened me with a feeding tube if I didn't eat. I told her I couldn't open my jaws. They x-rayed and found both jaws broken. They didn't do ct scan or anything for my head injury. I was sent to Germany for my teeth to get wired. 

In 1991 a friend encouraged me to file a claim, which I did and was awarded 20% for ankle, 20% for knee and 0% for misaligned jaw. I didn't file a NOD or anything at the time. I also started having panic attacks in 1991 and agoraphobia (in my record) and subsequently had to quit my job in 1996. Since I lost my insurance, I haven't been to a doctor (except for a few minor things) in over 20 years. I've been reading a lot and see so many things I am eligible for file a claim for. Even things they put in their own c&p exam-- like TMJ and painful scars, etc.

I have recently started going to the VA for medical and would like to make several claims. I have hep c from the blood transfusions in Naples, I just had a CT Scan and EEG (both with abnormalities) and I can not walk more than half a block without extreme pain in my feet, legs and hips. I have serious depression and rarely sleep or leave my home. I have much trouble with memory, cognition, etc., so it's hard for me to figure out where to begin. 

Any guidance or suggestions would help tremendously.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Since you are already going to the VA for care I would recommend you see a VSO at the facility.  A good veterans service officer will be able to pull your record together and see what you can apply for.  Since you never disagreed with your claim you most likely will not be able to get back pay but you can file for an increase in severity in your currently rated claims and file a new claim for your panic attacks.  Just be prepared since nothing happens quickly at the VA.  Good luck and come back, some people smarter than me will chime in pretty quickly.

I think you should apply for "all the benefits you think you deserve" even if a VSO says no, as more than one VSO has "talked Vets out" of applying for benefits they eventually got and deserved.  VSO's are not doctors, and they are unable to assess your conditions, they have to rely upon you.    It may help if you understand you will likely need the Caluza triangle for each claim sought:

1.  Current diagnosis.  No diagnosis, no benefits. 

2.  In service event.  (Stressor, in the event of PTSD).

3.  Nexus, or a doctors statement saying your (current diagnosis) is "at least as likely as not" due to xx event in service.  

You dont need a "diagnosis in service" , but its great if you have that.  

If you are not working, due to sc conditions, you should consider applying for TDIU, and, maybe pension if you have very little or no income and served in what VA defines as "war time". 

Dont forget to apply for Hep C, this is a big one.  Our resident expert on Hep C, is Alex Graham (asknod) who has won service connection for hep c for many vets, including himself.   

Edited by broncovet

Yes, that's part of the confusion. I haven't had insurance in over 20 years, so no medical trail. I've recently started going to VA for medical. I've recently had abnormal EEG and CT Scan for head injury and they acknowledge my Hep C. I filed a claim for Hep c in 1991, but never heard from them and didn't pursue anything. I was very young and dumb and had the idea that I didn't deserve anything. A friend, x-military literally harassed me everyday to go file a claim. 

Now I am experiencing how messed up I am. The trouble is that I don't have insurance, so the VA is all I've got. 

The doctor told me the CT was normal, but I got copies of my tests and it clearly says abnormal white matter, etc. They did say the EEG was abnormal. Mostly they are focusing on non-service connected issues, even though I've requested a TBI screen and MRI for head trauma. I've asked for Hep C test progression and other things, but they just ignore that. I've been to see a patient advocate and they are mostly concerned about supporting the doctor/VA. 

Thanks SO much for responding! How do I connect with Alex Graham? I do go to Nod's website-- Just discovered it.

Are you registered on the VA E-Ben site? How about the VMC "MHV" {My Healthy Vet) site?

You really need to start a NEW Claim on your E-Ben site to establish a "RETRO" Date. Just don't hit the Submit Button yet, you have 12 months to complete the on-line filing. If you're not sure how to get the MHV and E-Ben set up, check in with the Vet Learning Center at your VMC, they'll hook you up.

You were SC'd in 1991 and didn't use the VMC for Med Care after you lost your private insurance, really doesn't matter, but why?

• HadIt.com Elder

sovereign

There is no limit on filing claims nor a limit as how many claims you file

If I was you I would file on every thing you mention no matter how many...some you maybe denied on but you should be able to win most of these claims.

they will not go back that far(20 years ago) I don't think but they will use the date you first file for your claims...so why not just file for all your conditions at once.

Aslo as Gastone mention above  you have a year to file and 2 years if you file a INT (intent to file)  the ITF gives you a better EED(early efftive date) for your claims.

Request your C-File and start reading your medical records   or if you feel this is to hard for you to do your self?

check out an experience Veteran Attorney or a VA Certified Claims Agent  such as Alex Graham. (Asknod.org)

You came to the right place for help.

Feel free to ask any questions you want.

&

Welcome to Hadit my fellow brother Veteran.

Edited by Buck52