VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BVA granted 100% Jan 11/2018. Filed my claim Sept 2008. It's been a long road. Now just wondering how long before I here from the regional office, and back pay.

Rate this topic

sheppcw@aol.com

22 hours ago, sheppcw@aol.com said:

BVA granted 100% Jan 11/2018. Filed my claim Sept 2008. It's been a long road. Now just wondering how long before I here from the regional office, and back pay.

So I recently received a BVA award for TDIU and SMC S, I received the BVA letter on DEC 1st 2017, My ebenefits page updated yesterday Jan 31st 2018 , which is when the RO sent out the decision letter. So for me its been 2 months for them to send out a decision letter. I was told by many on here that I would likely see my retro before my letter but Im sure it doesn't always work out that way. Below is what you should keep an eye out for on ebenefits, I usually checked my "disabilities tab" or my AB8 Letter.  Note that the below image is how I found my effective date.  Hope this helps, make sure you have your direct deposit set up and also I set up my bank account to message me when any funds are added. Congrats!

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 2.09.02 PM.png

I can't find any timelines, but I recommend being aggressive with your Regional Office to make sure they're even working on it.

Here's why:  The BVA awarded 20% disability Sep 2017.  The BVA sent the Judge's decision to the RO 11 Sep 17 and no action.  I faxed the RO a copy of the BVA letter (they acknowledged receipt) on 18 Oct 17and still no action.  I mailed the RO a 2nd copy of the BVA decision on 14 Dec and still no action.  January 18, I got the national office to press the issue, the RO reported they didn't get the BVA letter until 14 Dec and still no action.  It's now 2 Feb and I'm still in the dark. 

Here's my long "whining to myself" version:

After a 6 year fight, the BVA awarded 20% disability Sep 17.  I checked with my RO to ensure they had the decision letter.  They told me they did not receive the BVA decision and asked me to fax it to them, I faxed it, they acknowledged receipt on 18 Oct 17 and would start working it.  I asked again in Dec, they sent me a letter that they knew nothing about it, which was insulting since they already acknowledged they received my Oct 17 fax and would work on it.  The first insult.  So, I mailed a 2nd pristine copy to the RO, they received it 14 Dec.  I checked again mid-Jan, no answer whatsoever.  So, I asked the national office, explained it all and offered to send them the proof of what was happening (I always work via e-mail where possible and keep all copies).  The national office reported the RO got a copy of the decision on 11 Sep 2017.  The national office then sent me a "correction" e-mail and stated the RO didn't get a copy until 14 Dec.  Another larger insult.  Although the RO acknowledged receipt of the decision letter on 18 Oct, and the national office knew about it, the national office went along with the 14 Dec date.  So, I asked the BVA when they sent the letter, and I'm not kidding, the BVA strongly implied (without actually saying it) that they don't track decisions or know what happens to a decision once it's made, which was the insult that topped the other insults and was clear, absolute BS.  So, now the RO has three copies of the BVA decision dating back to 11 Sep 17, I've heard nothing and strongly suspect when I ask again, I'll go back thru the same loop.

Edited by knehansm
Corrected sentence

• 2 months later...

We dont know how long it will take your VARO to implement the BVA decision.  When things go well this can happen in a month or less, but one of mine took 3 years because the VARO could not or did not read the BVA decision until I contacted Allison Hickey and complained.  

So, sit tight and start planning.  You can estimate (or even calculate your retro), then you get to have fun deciding what to do with it.  Its a very good idea to plan this out ahead of time.  Make your list of priorities, such as:

1.  Pay off old bills/debts.

2.  Help your church and family.  

3.  Take a trip

4,  Buy a car, 

5.  Save some

6.  Invest some.  ETc etc.  

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use