VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Total combined disability updated in Ebenefits, but claim still gathering evidence?

Rate this question

Matt21ss

Question

***EDITED TO ADD RATED DISABILITIES******

I hadn't checked Ebenefits in a while because I became frustrated with the change in open claim status from gathering evidence to awaiting documents are past due.  I asked my VSO if there was anything I needed to do and he said that it wasn't at our end, but between C&P and VA. All medical records were uploaded by VSO and intent to file was sent within 12 months of retirement (20 years in Navy), so any backpay would be retro to NOV 2016.

So I clicked on the Disabilities TAB, and to my surprise is says, "You have a 100% final degree of disability".

-All of my rated disabilities had effective dates of 11/01/2016 (except the Not Service Connected).

One had been deferred.........."trigger finger right, tenosynovitis thumb right and tenosynovitis index finger right"

Before I update my profile on Hadit:

- Since there are effective dates, do I assume this will be my final rating?

- Since my claim is still open and gathering evidence (I assume from the one deferment) will this delay the closing of the claim?

-  If the deferred item does not effect the overall total disability (don't think there is higher than 100%) would that delay payment or backpay?

- Should I expect payments anytime soon or not expect anything till the deferred item is complete? Is backpay and disability withheld or initialized now since it is at 100%?

I guess I am just looking for a timeline....something like, "Matt, don't even look at that anymore. You have like 2 years before anything hits your account." or "Yup, you should be seeing a payment by next month and backpay two weeks after that!!" (I like that one better!!)

I think it is worse now that I looked at the damn disabilities tab.........I feel like I am assuming too much and am gonna be one of those Vets that stare at my email waiting for the "deposit posted" email.

Here is a screenshot of what is listed on Ebenefits:

image.thumb.png.465057b8cd67b0e03f433b2c3eb620c5.png

Thanks to all that respond and to all that are on here helping.  I hope my post helps others find answers as well

Edited by Matt21ss
upload screenshot

Buck52,

Any opinion that you have is better than the guess that I would make!!

I am pretty sure that the pending disabilities are just a copy of my "rated" disabilities, So since I might have nothing over 50% I would not qualify for SMC? I am not looking to rock the boat and if continues through at 100%, I will be content.

Would it be safe to assume that they would start the DFAS paperwork as CRDP since I am active duty retired w/ 100% SC disabilities.......even though there is one Claim that is deferred?  Does it matter what SC percentage they put on it since it won't affect my overall combined rating anyways?

I think I have jumped down the rabbit hole!! It's waaaaayyy to early for that....I'm only 39!!!

I thank all of you for helping newbies like me!!! You have no idea the comfort you guys can make a person feel from just responding to a post!!!!    I hope to help others like this in the future!!

Reading online for CRDP: https://themilitarywallet.com/va-disability-compensation-affects-military-retirement-pay/

Concurrent Receipt Laws: Up until 2004, the law prevented military retirees from receiving part or all of their military pay if they also received disability compensation from the VA. Military members had to choose which payment they wanted to receive: military retirement pay, or VA disability compensation. If they chose to receive both forms of payment, they had to offset, or waive, a portion of their military retirement pay equal to the amount they received from the VA. Basically, it prevents servicemembers from double-dipping and receiving compensation from both the VA and the military.

In 2004, the law was changed, and military retirees were eligible to receive both military retirement pay and VA disability compensation, but only if they had a VA service-connected disability rating of 50% or higher.

VA disability rating of 50% or greater. Military retirees with a disability rating of greater than 50% are eligible to receive both payments under CRDP. They will receive their full military retirement pension, along with 100% of their VA disability compensation. They do not need to offset their military pay by the amount of the compensation they receive from the VA.

But who knows.......I can't count those chickens till they hatch!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes in 2004 the law was changed. (Thanks for posting this Matt)

a 50% Service connected Veteran or higher % & Retired from military can now recieve both VA S.C. Compesation & Military Retirement. (Actually since 2004)

This is great for that Veteran  and well deserved and if the Veteran is totally disabled  he should also check with the SSA and file SSDI   With those three  would make for a pretty good income.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

BTW Matt21ss

Thank you for the long period of the military you served ,20 years that's a long time my friend..  &  I thought 3 years would never end.

Nah it was not that bad.

Edited by Buck52

Buck52,

The 20 years I served went by in a flash.  It was an honor to serve, but without people like you before me, I might have never gotten that chance!!

UPDATE :   I was able to view the letter generator........... this is what the Benefit Summary Letter says:

Military Information

Your most recent, verified periods of service (up to three) include:
Recent periods of military service Branch of Service Character of Service Entered Active Duty Released/Discharged: Navy / Honorable / October 03, 1996 -  October 31, 2016

VA Benefit Information

You have one or more service-connected disabilities: Yes
Your combined service-connected evaluation is: 100%
Your current monthly award amount is: $XXXX.XX (It has a number there, I just X'd it out)
The effective date of the last change to your current award was: February 01, 2018
You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service-connected disabilities: Yes

So I guess they wouldn't allow me to generate a letter unless it was finalized????

Yup Matt, Seems to be finalized. You're in the same boat as me in regards to waiting for a decision letter. I'm assuming you are a retiree which can make a difference in timeline with any back pay you have coming. Congrats again!