VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ID Card for 100% Vet

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is an old topic, but I managed to schedule an appointment and get my DOD Next Generation ID card at Fort Polk, Louisiana this past week.  The process was pretty simple.  You can schedule an appointment at a base closest to you online, and in the scheduling section, there is a local phone number for each office.  When you a call, a human being picks up, which is nice.

You'll need a letter showing 100% PT, which if you're rated, you can get on the eBenefits or VA.gov websites, and you'll also need a copy of your DD Form 214.  You'll also need to valid forms of ID, which the website will outline what forms are accepted as primary and secondary.  Your DL or VA cards will work fine to cover that.

The whole process from gate entry, bathroom break, signing in, getting the card and driving back out the gate was only about 30 minutes or so.  If you're 100%, the DOD will already have some of your information in their system (no, believe it or not, these folks don't have all your service history immediately available either.). However, they will have your name, rating, SSN, DOB, etc.

If you are PT, you will get a card that has no expiration date and says that. It also will have "100% Disabled American Veteran" on top.  You can also get an ID for your spouse and kids, and the kids can have one through college as your dependent.

One thing I did notice is that they don't fill in your pay grade, and the rank block was generalized and not rank specific.  Mine said "AMN" with the Air Force logo in the background.  I asked why it didn't have my exact grade and rank and the clerk advised that this was how they do it irregardless of what is on the DD Form 214.

You can use this card for a ton of things on base, so I think it's worthwhile.  Your VA cards will allow for base entry at the front gate when they scan the bar code, but this card allows for broader access to services and also is a good additional government issued ID to have on hand if needed.

Just my very late comments to an old thread.  Good luck to you all and thanks for your service.  Have a great weekend!

Mark

• HadIt.com Elder

Fort Polk....garden spot of the nation!  I spent a few months there in the 1960's.  When I was there it was a slum.  I hope they improved it.

13 hours ago, john999 said:

Fort Polk....garden spot of the nation!  I spent a few months there in the 1960's.  When I was there it was a slum.  I hope they improved it.

LOL!  Looked pretty good from what I saw of it.  I didn’t venture around too much.  From what I saw, it definitely has been modernized and well kept.  Side note, the RAPIDS site for civilian ID's and the 100% veteran DOD ID's is the one at 1716 3rd Street on Fort Polk.

Fort Polk has at least one other RAPIDS site, but this one is designated for these "extra" ID's.  Looks like they do retired, family and active duty too, but the clerk explained this is where they route everybody, so keep that in mind if you are looking at the online scheduling calendar in that area.

Side note, it's easy to get there.  From the entry gate, you're only going a little over a mile, then you turn left at the hospital and follow the road down a couple of tenths of a mile and it will be on your left.  Building #250.

Mark

Edited by MarkInTexas