VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA new Dr’s stop my pain meds for no reason! Now won’t give me any at all??

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Vync said:

Had same situation happen to me and been dealing with it for about five years and escalating. Congressman was able to help and I got approval for treatment from a non-VA doc. No opiates, but they did refer me to a non-VA doc to get an epidural pain block in my spine. No guarantee on whether these shots will work, but better than nothing.

Have they tried giving you meds like gabapentin or Lyrica? The latter is helping me a little bit, but I just recently started it. The idea is to help quiet nerve activity, but they are not initial types treatment.

I was on Gabapentin, naproxen, an methadone as my last treatment before they stopped them.

The naproxen an gabaletin really don’t help much.  I’ve been taking them for 9 years an by themselves offer no pain relief.

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Since the law change the #2 narcotics the VA has been cracking down on the pain meds.

my PCP DID THE SAME 

I did what Ms Carlie said to do before she passed  just let your PCP know you have learned how to adjust the pain meds  with another nsaid and not take a pain med if the others meds can control your pain gabapentin and lyrica as Vync mention .

I take my pain meds only if needed  and take an 800 Ibuprofen  before taking the pain meds, I only take the pain meds if needed  so th PCP Will know your managing your medications the right way .

Never gripe at your PCP bout your pain meds  or beg them for them  thats the wrong singal your sending to your PCP,,, They like to hear how your managing your pain meds and are more likely to refill your pain meds.

or something close to this  but the point is you need to let your PCP know your managing your pain meds with nsaids or the muscle relaxers and have actually cut down on the pain meds, but the pain meds are still a big pain relief &  without them your pain gets out of whack  per say.

I stopped my pain meds on my own.  I have no addiction with pain meds.  I have a problem with pain.  Even when I took pain meds I took the smallest amount that worked an had them adjust dosage to that level.

Ive been without pain meds for 8 months going through all the other options like acupuncture which didn’t work for nerve pain.  Physical therapy which Ibevdown many times before an you can’t unpinch the nerve or bulging disks but i has to go again an try anyways.    Finally went to a pain managent outside VA to do trigger point type injections which didn’t work very long the last two times I did it, and I was talking about how much pain I was in to the doc an he was going to write a pain script for meds but I had to tell him don’t bother the VA won’t fill it an I can’t afford to pay for them out of pocket.  Which kinda blew his mind a bit.  He wanted me to go to the in house pain management medication doctor but the VA does not allow outside approval for medical prescriptions on narcotics apparently.  So it’s half of the pain management at the clinic outside the VA since I can’t use the medication portion of the management treatment.. 

My VA doctor an the the VA pain Management doc are hard line NO on any narcotics now at all!  Zero will be given under an circumstances! I guess the dozen or docs before them were all wrong in allowing narcotic as a management tool.

Vets should not have to suffer in pain if they have legitimate reasons to use a narcotic pain med for pain!  

I can’t afford to go to an outside doctor for pain management prescription for pain meds.

I can’t believe that the VA policy is now so hard line NO to pain meds to treat people with pain that they will not give them out under any circumstances!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I Understand what your saying   but to get your VA PCP to get your pain meds or at least some pain meds,you got to let them know your managing your pain meds by adjustments...the thing you need is your pain meds  correct? for your unbearable pain.

Veterans need to do what it takes to get their PCP to write a script.

Now sometimes this won't work   just depends how your PCP feels about it or he/she could have recieved a VA Memo  telling him/her to stop all pain medication  effective Immediately.

some VA DR'S do have compassion.