• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Mikeoif
      I filed for tdiu and ptsd claim in Oct of 18, I didn't have all my medical files lined up and was given service connection for unspecified anxiety at 30% in March 19, and denied tdiu for failed scheduled rating needed and they mentioned that I had work experince and helped for a year with my niece , weird mention in the paperwork for why tdiu was denied but whatever. So I filed supplemental claim in april and had a highly regarded univeristy brain department and psychiatrist department diagnosis me for ptsd as a referral from the VA. So boom got another c&p in June and was given 70 % rating for ptsd but didn't file anything for the tdiu, at this time hired a va lawyer before I got my 70% rating thinking id have to appeal if they denied my ptsd again but they didn't so then I kept the lawyers on as they looked at my files for more things to be done and then they had me file tdiu paper work again but then on OCT 31st they filed a higher level review for my TDIU decision going back to march when it was denied. My two questions are how does HLR handle tdiu claims and cause I was denied originally for it for lack of rating and lack of medical evidence does my new c&p in June and my medical diagnosis with recommendation that got me to 70% now, will that evidence be included in the review of the tdiu or is the Review just of the evidence that was available at the time of the original denial back in march? I've been out of work for over a year as well but haven't kept a job down for a decade though I've tried for sure. OIF 08-09 1-22 INF, 1 BCT, 4th I.D. Also do granted my tdiu effective date should be Oct 2018 right as my intent to file date? Thanks
    • By RBrogen
      Hello Everyone,
      I wanted to put a situation out to you all and get your feedback as it would relate to a potential presumption of soundess cue claim.
      Back story:  1983 - In high school I tried out for varsity football (note I am 5'5" and 135lbs at that time) so I could have some level of social life.  First day of practice a kid ran into my left side and hurt my knee.  I DID NOT seek medical attention, never went to the doctor and was fine the next day (though I did decide not to try out for football any longer).
      Fast Forward:  1985 - I joined the Army National Guard and NO MEDICAL ISSUES were noted on my entrance exam.  I transitioned from ARNG to RA in 1987 and did not have anything listed on the exam for that either.  I was Airborne and have STR entries for strained MCL, Achilles and Twisted knee.
           1991 - I got out of the service with a lumbosacral strain issue with 20% disability at that time.  
          1996 - I had meniscal surgery on left knee
          1997 - I had surgery on my right knee was going to physical therapy.  During the review the physical therapist did to get medical history they asked me about injury history and so I told them the only issue I ever had was the issue in high school which was really a non issue but I was being honest and the meniscus surgery the prior year.  They incorrectly annotated on my record that the high school knee injury was "torn meniscus" by combining my two statements into their notes to read high school knee injury (torn meniscus).
          1999 - I filed a claim for bilateral knee issues and was denied because the rater read that note and said that I had a pre-existing condition.  There is no medical evidence of my high school knee issue because I never went to the doctor and the next day it was fine.
      I was finally able to get a rater who service connected and rated for both knees and ankles and nexus was established for marching/jumping in service.  I didn't know exactly why I was originally denied but after getting my c-file I figured out that it was all because of a physical therapist not taking proper notes.
      My question is that I don't think they properly applied the presumption of soundness rule in my case because the rater had no direct medical evidence to prove that I had a pre-existing condition and the entrance exam(s) were negative for any medical conditions.  I'd like to get your thoughts.
    • By Kihr
      Yesterday my claim moved to Prep for decision, this was a week after my latest C&P, I was feeling optimistic that the estimated completion date of 9/4 was reasonable.  Today it moved back to review of evidence and my date oushed to 9/14.  This is a claim with 1 increase, 2 new, 2 secondary.  I filed my claim 9/24/18 it seems like a long time for a claim.

Anyway, my question is: have any of you had the claim move from "prep for Decision" only to regress to review of evidence?  If so, what was the timeline like?
    • By Kihr
      How much can they see, how much can they tell me?  I seem to get almost nothing but cryptic information from my VSO.  Are they restricted from telling information to me while the claim is not yet complete?  Or is it possible that she withholds the information having been burned by changes in the past?
    • By Kihr
      I am a little confused, I have "psoriatic arthritis, also claimed as back condition" as my current and only rated condition 20%, which was from my initial claim 10 years ago.  They were submitted as 2 different items, "back pain" & "psoriatic arthritis" but combined.  Anyway, I submitted a claim in september for an increase to my P.A. and a few other new claims related to tgr P.A. and had C&Ps in November.  I have been waiting ever since with no updates, denials, deferrals, granted claims etc.  Last week I get a call for a contractor exam about my back.  I was a bit confused, about why I was having the exam but it is what it is so I went today.
      The examiner said "you are not rated for a back condition, you have no official diagnosis for your back, it just says back pain."
      "I don't know why you had an x-ray without a diagnosis, the x-ray said there was no arthritis in your back. So I don't know why they combine these as a single rating."
      I am not entirely sure why I had this exam, it makes me a little nervous about all of this.  
      1.) Any reasons my 5(in total including P.A. increase) claims would have no decisions made at all after nearly a year?
      2.) Should I be prepared for bad news?  Is it likely they will just deny all of them because they have not done any grants approved?
      3.) Has anyone had an issue like this they can shed some light?
      4.) Assuming there are no further exams, is 4-6 weeks a good guess for a decision length from this C&P?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 16 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
    • I was denied SC for IBS and GERD IN 2011. In 2019 I was awarded SC for GERD. This CUE  is for 2011, both GERD and IBS. There are some odd aspects regarding the 2011 decision, the way it was written and the C&P report and the way it was written. I've tried to present this as clearly as I can. Note: the decision contradicts itself. the decision also contradicts the C&P Report. Honestly, I think the rater just got confused because the C&P was so poorly written. *THIS CUE HAS NOT YET BEEN SUBMITTED*Please let me know what you think. Appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

VA RATING DECISION MARCH 23 2011 GERD IBS.pdf C P REPORT 7312010 GERD IBS.pdf GERD IBS CUE 2011(1).pdf

C P ADDENDUM REQUEST RE DIAGNOSIS 7232010.pdf
      • 54 replies
    • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims
      When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a Veterans Affairs Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing Veterans Affairs Disability Claims. [Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog]
      • 0 replies
    • Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemptions by State
      Alabama 
      A disabled veteran in Alabama may receive a full property tax exemption on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled as a result of service and has a net annual income of $12,000 or less.
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines