VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

re-evalutation of temp 100% ischemic heart disease

Rate this question

joe appel

Question

Have a question:

Am 70 years old, served in Navy 66-70, was in SAR (search and rescue) helicopter squadron from 68-69, did 3 3-4 month tours in Nam . Got triple-bypass in October of last year, and VA awarded me temporary 100 disability in Feburary of this year.  The awards letter states that I will be re-evaluated Jan of 2019. 

Anyone have any experience with this, meaning at my age could they lower it. I was told by a few doctors that there is no cure for coronary artery disease, and chances of lowering the 100% is slim.

Edited by joe appel
missed informaqtion

2 hours ago, broncovet said:

Given they have apparently scheduled a reduction exam in Feb. 2019, this would indicate its not a temporary convalescent rating.   Did you get backpay to Oct. 2017?  This would indicate to me its not a convalescent rating but rather a temporary one.  

Again, unless this is convalescent, I doubt they would lower a 71 year old's rating because he improved.  Remember, VA comp is designed to replace your potential income, so what kind of work can a 71 year old with a coronary bypass do?  

Yes, I got a check in Jan 2018 for back pay retro April 2017 when I first applied.  I called unsure if I should keep it, and they said the check is mine, not to worry, however I will be re-evaluated Jan 2019. I work part-time (4 days a week) doing financing at a car dealership, only because i'm sick of staying at home.

I am glad those friends told you to apply.

The AO IHD regulations came out in 2010 and I bet there are still Vietnam vets with IHD, or Parkinsons, or Hairly Cell B cancer that were recognized as presumptive to AO in 2010....that do not know they should file a claim.

If they were ever denied in the past with a rating next to one of above as "NSC"- they fall under Nehmer footnote One ( explained here under a search) for a very favorable EED.

It bothers me a lot that only the online veterans community seems to really be aware of all of the AO presumpives.

The 2010 AO changes got minimal attention from the National news media.

1 hour ago, Berta said:

I am glad those friends told you to apply.

The AO IHD regulations came out in 2010 and I bet there are still Vietnam vets with IHD, or Parkinsons, or Hairly Cell B cancer that were recognized as presumptive to AO in 2010....that do not know they should file a claim.

If they were ever denied in the past with a rating next to one of above as "NSC"- they fall under Nehmer footnote One ( explained here under a search) for a very favorable EED.

It bothers me a lot that only the online veterans community seems to really be aware of all of the AO presumpives.

The 2010 AO changes got minimal attention from the National news media.

So am I, thanks for the response. I guess my only concern is losing the 100%, that gave me ability to retire. 

At some point in the near future, your going to have Heart Echo. Be sure to get a copy from your VMC Radiology Dept. There may be Radiologist discussion of the results posted in your MHV Med Records about a week or so after the Exam. You should be able to determine if the Reduction Ax is going to fall based on the results of the Echo.

Well, the Echo came, and it's 55-60%, which essentially is good from a health standpoint, not for disability. . I gave the report to my daughter (she's a Geriatrician),and she was worried. Seems the Echo showed stage III diastolic dysfunction, which she said isn't good, it's congestive heart failure. She thinks with that the VA shouldn't reduce the 100%. 

I don't know, it is what it is.

Edited by jappel2

Have VA ratings: PTSD 50% and secondary sleep apnea 50%.  After passing out two years ago, was diagnosed as having sustained ventricular tachycardia (VTAC) which resulted in the local medical school/hospital sticking a pacemaker/ICD in my chest.  A year later the device fired off and same Cardiologist's assessment was that of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation with a history of "nonischemic ventricular tachycardia".

When VA diagnosed my sleep apnea (2010) I got the first night's sleep without waking up in cold sweats through the night with a splitting headache in the morning... 40 years after leaving RVN.  Didn't apply for disability.  Applied for PTSD and sleep apnea 2016, was awarded PTSD then, secondary apnea on appeal 2018.

Would like to file for the arrhythmias as secondary to the sleep apnea (which was undiagnosed for 40-years).  As a side-bar, studies are increasingly associating atrial fibrillation with sleep apnea.

Would welcome any comments, recommendations, or over-all sage advice.

Semper Fi