VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received 100% at earlier date through Appeal-received no compensation back pay.

Rate this question

hcorcoran01

Question

I appealed for an earlier date for PTSD and Individual Unemployability.  I received my 100% December 10, 2010, and appealed to the date I originally applied for benefits (November 2007).  I just received the Order approving both but the Order states "It is granted, subject to controlling regulations governing the payment of monetary awards".

Does this mean that I get no back pay - as I didn't receive any back pay - just got the approval from Veterans Law Judge, Board of Appeals.  Should I appeal the fact that I received no back pay?

Any help would be appreciated!

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I received it about a week after I wrote this, so in my case they were pretty quick.  Got the formal letter about 3 days later.  Thank you SO MUCH for your answer as I appreciate it!

I have a question if anyone can answer it. I was just rated 100%PT.  I was told i possibly could be rated for SMC status. Is this doable?

Disabilities

100%

Total Combined Disability

You have a 100% final degree of disability. This percentage determines the amount of benefit pay you will receive.

How is this calculated

Rated Disabilities

Disability Rating Decision Related To Effective Date
left (non-dominant) shoulder condition (claimed as left shoulder)   Not Service Connected    
trunk injury   Not Service Connected    
abdominal muscle   Not Service Connected    
degenerative disc disease/arthritis of the thoracolumbar spine with intervertebral disc syndrome and history of lumbar strain (previously rated as lumbar strain, claimed as lumbago, upper and lower back, spasming muscles and bulging disc) 20% Service Connected   06/05/2017

radiculopathy, left lower extremity, sciatic nerve 

40% Service Connected   06/05/2017

radiculopathy, right lower extremity, sciatic nerve 

radiculopathy, right lower extremity, femoral nerve 

10% Service Connected   06/05/2017
left knee chondromalacia (claimed as severe bilateral knee chondromalacia) 0% Service Connected   04/15/2014
limitation of flexion, chondromalacia and osteoarthritis, right knee 0% Service Connected   06/05/2017
migraines   Not Service Connected    
carpal tunnel syndrome, left hand   Not Service Connected    
carpal tunnel syndrome, right hand   Not Service Connected    
pseudofolliculitis barbae (also claimed as skin condition) 0% Service Connected   04/15/2014
limitation of extension, chondromalacia and osteoarthritis, right knee (previously rated under DC 5003-5260) 40% Service Connected   06/05/2017
major depressive disorder (also claimed as adjustment disorder with depressed mood; nightmare disorder; depression; and trouble sleeping) 50% Service Connected   04/15/2014
right (dominant) shoulder labral tear, including superior labral anterior-posterior lesion 20% Service Connected   05/02/2015
degenerative disc disease/arthritis of the cervical spine with intervertebral disc syndrome and history of cervical strain (previously rated as cervical strain, claimed as neck) 20% Service Connected   06/05/2017

radiculopathy, right upper extremity, middle and lower radicular group 

radiculopathy, left upper extremity, middle and lower radicular group 

30% Service Connected   06/05/2017
right knee scars 0% Service Connected   04/15/2014

Pending Disabilities

Disability Submitted Type Actions
Lumbar Spine 05/08/2018 INC View Pending Claim
Right Knee 05/08/2018 INC View Pending Claim
Cervical Spine 05/08/2018 INC View Pending Claim
Right Upper Nerves 05/08/2018 NEW View Pending Claim
Left Upper Nerves 05/08/2018 NEW View Pending Claim
Left Lower Nerve 05/08/2018 NEW View Pending Claim
Right Lower Nerve 05/08/2018 NEW View Pending Claim
Skin Condition 05/08/2018 INC View Pending Claim

I dont see this as a 100% P & T award at this point .........others will chime in

maybe I have misunderstood the  info- the entire block outlined in blue is not visible to me.

Edited by Berta

I am already 100% PT(was recently awarded).... i have other disabilities that are going to add up to 99%....thats why im checking to see if anyone  knows if i could possibly qualify  for any other va comp benefits besides smc s.

• HadIt.com Elder

It depends on what your rated for >  for these other  disability's conditions pending?

You do have a final 100% degree rating but to meet the SMC Criteria you will need another separate and distinct disability rated at 60%   they combined what ratings you do have to the final 100% rate.

so now you will need a 60% rating on another disability.

I am researching SMC for combined ratings .

I believe there special circumstances a combined rating after a Veteran reaches the 100%  it is possible to meet the SMC Criteria.