VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehab if I already have a job?

Rate this question

john3mary

Question

I have a 50% rating from the VA.  I will have my first meeting with my Voc Rehab counselor in 4 days.  I already have a job, but I plan to argue underemployed but it might be a stretch.  I need to get some technical certificates to stay competitive and try to get a remote job (work from home) where I can control my work environment like a standing desk, etc....  I work in the IT industry.

Does anyone have a sample PPT or word document plan to present to the VA counselor?   I read Ben Krause's site and he suggests that you go in prepared with a PPT or Word plan that shows your reasoning and your proposed plan.  Anyone out there have an example?

Thanks,

John

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

@Buck52 agreed - @Gastone YES_ Keep it simple - Voc Rehab wants to see if you are a critical thinker and thought the job related quest in detail......

I would counter  the degree statement ...with the knowledge I gained in my B.S. (Criminology) degree enables me to counsel Veterans in Jail reentry - which is what I was attempting to do before the IU award. 

So the one use I have is.......giving back .... This was my third degree - ( 1.) Criminal Justice - A.A.  1.)  Occupational Therapy A.A.S. paid for by the military... Thanks Uncle Sam! 

One of the key parts of VR Ch31 is that it is designed to compensate you for the disability that  you have.

The M29 manual that you can find on Ben Kraus web site has a lot of info on what the VRC will be looking for. Suggest you grab that and check it out.

Yo L, are Masters Programs available for your BS Degrees? Today you really need a Masters to realize the full $$ potential in any specific field.

PW, I disagree regarding  "VR Program is designed to compensate" statement.  There is no correlation between a Vet's actual CSC or individual SC's and the VR Financial Assistance available. The monthly Stipend while in school or training ,is the same for a 40% and a 100% SC Vet based on Part or Full-Time and the number of dependants. However, It's somewhat different for a Vet pursuing a Self-Employment path. The start-up costs of equipment and inventory can be substantial.

The purpose of the VR Program is to assist any Vet that meets the relatively low SC % to have access to VA Professional Employment Testing and Counseling (all VRCs hold  Masters Degrees) and financial assistance with whatever Employment Path, College, Self-Employment, trade school they choose and qualify for.

@GastoneYes - I was accepted into the Master's Program, but decided against it due to cost.

Used up all of my Vietnam Era GI Bill and had 90 hours left on my TX Hazelwood.

My Occupational Therapy degree - 2 years had me at $65,000 when I retired with 21 years of service ... LOL probably a better income producer.

As an Entry Level  Probation officer or Reentry Counselor- my pay was started back at $50,000 ....MY Navy Retirement was a good money maker too...... Since I am 60 - I will just give back....

I saved every penny I ever made...... now is the time to have fun! ( inspiration by @Berta   :)

Edited by L
addendum of wisdom....

L, "Live Long and Prosper!" I agree with your Master's Degree Decision, especially at age 60, been there. The cost in time and $$ has to be of great importance to all us Old Dogs. Closer to the end than the beginning.