VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any experience with a NOD for effective date?

Rate this question

ErinNick

Question

Long story short, my husband was awarded disability for PTSD in October, and at that time he received back pay from September of 2016, which is when the claim was officially filed.  He originally filed an Intent to File in September of 2015, which reserves the effective date and provides you a year to file, which he needed the full year while he obtained his medical file.  He submitted a NOD due to the effective date actually being in September of 2015 instead of 2016.  Does anyone know how long this takes?  I've read horror stories of it taking anywhere from 3-7 years, but it seems like such an easy fix to determine the effective date, especially if they have the records showing the Intent to File.  Has anyone submitted a similar NOD and if so, how long did it take.  

My husband just signed to move his NOD over to the RAMP program that says it averages 125 days for a decision, also.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

RAMP is still pretty new, but it sounds like they have been working through NODs in about 3 months.

I expect that will change as it ramps up, but there is a lot of focus on RAMP, and so far little participation, so processing should go quickly for the near future. 

Non-RAMP NODs sound like they are taking forever, but it depends on the regional office.  Mine in 2013/2014 took a year.  Others have taken 3, 4 even 5 years.  

• HadIt.com Elder

It just depends how backlogged they are? there supposed to work the NOD on first come first serve basis  EED's Included.  if this is at your R.O. You can call IRIS and ask them how far out the NOD are? or if you use a VSO ask him/her to check that.

RAMP Program is fairly new  and as I understand it veterans have to be invited for that program?..usually veterans that have been waiting for years this is what RAMP is design to do and also for new claims.

weather or not this program works in 125 days is still out on a limb!

We all have to wait & wait.

Edited by Buck52

Did you mention what type of NOD (Review or Hearing) was filed, RO Review, DRO Review, DRO Hearing or the Traditional BVA Hearing?

I can't say I've been looking for any specific RAMP Appeals Decision stories but if you find any posted on Hadit, point me at it.  How long after the Decision Letter before he filed whatever type of NOD he decided on. No one mentioned anything about a promptly filed "Official Request for Possible CUE Review?"             I filed one 02/16 for an EED error on an 11/15 Quality Review Reversal Decision. Within 2 months the New Retro Deposit hit. Had I filed a DRO Review, probably would have taken over a year to hit on the "On Deck Circle," then another 6 to 8 months for the Retro and Decision Letter.

Good luck with your appeal. I switched over to the RAMP system on August 25, 2018 and my NOD was approved on 27, Feb 2019.  My original appeal prior to RAMP was in July 2015. I saw it wasn't going anywhere so I switched over to RAMP.   The good news is that they back payed me from my July 2015 appeal. I'm buying the beer. 🙂