VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnosed Flat Feet and Filing Claim

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with bi lateral pes planus (flat feet) in service and am now separated and in my presumptive period. 

From my understanding you need to have pain + flat feet to get any rating over 0%. I have pain on both feet but it was not documented. 

Now my question is, should I see a civilian doctor to evaluate my flat feet and pain to have it documented? Or should I file the claim for flat feet and wait for the C&P exam to tell the doctor I have pain on both feet from it?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Having the diagnosis in service is good, even if they did not document reports of pain at that time. For purposes of getting a 10% rating, having pain now or since you left the service should be helpful as long as your diagnosis fits the rest of the rating criteria. I hope this helps!

§4.71a   Schedule of ratings—musculoskeletal system.

The Foot

Rating
5276   Flatfoot, acquired:  
Pronounced; marked pronation, extreme tenderness of plantar surfaces of the feet, marked inward displacement and severe spasm of the tendo achillis on manipulation, not improved by orthopedic shoes or appliances  
Bilateral 50
Unilateral 30
Severe; objective evidence of marked deformity (pronation, abduction, etc.), pain on manipulation and use accentuated, indication of swelling on use, characteristic callosities:  
Bilateral 30
Unilateral 20
Moderate; weight-bearing line over or medial to great toe, inward bowing of the tendo achillis, pain on manipulation and use of the feet, bilateral or unilateral 10
Mild; symptoms relieved by built-up shoe or arch support 0
5277   Weak foot, bilateral:  
A symptomatic condition secondary to many constitutional conditions, characterized by atrophy of the musculature, disturbed circulation, and weakness:  
Rate the underlying condition, minimum rating 10

3 hours ago, Vync said:

Having the diagnosis in service is good, even if they did not document reports of pain at that time. For purposes of getting a 10% rating, having pain now or since you left the service should be helpful as long as your diagnosis fits the rest of the rating criteria. I hope this helps!

§4.71a   Schedule of ratings—musculoskeletal system.

Thank you