VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To "RAMP" or not to "RAMP"

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

As many may know, Congress has passed new legislation which essentially requires VA to cut down on appeal backlog.  This plan is known as "RAMP".  

Currently, only Veterans who ARE INVITED by VA can elect to go with RAMP.  Im not sure it will do much good to write to VA and tell them you want RAMP, tho its POSSIBLE that VA may grant this request.  

A well known law firm has published some credible, and valuable information on RAMP.  If offered a chance to "RAMP" through a VA letter, its probably a good idea to:

1.  Just do it and go for RAMP.

2.  At least read the following before declining ramp, and discuss this with your representative.  

https://cck-law.com/news/news-cck-live-revisiting-ramp/

MY summary:

UNLESS you have a compelling reason, opt "in" for RAMP.  

CCK says you should not do RAMP if any of these would harm your claim:

However, veterans should fully consider that participating in RAMP means:

• not being able to appeal to the Board until at least February 2019.
  • not being able to take their claim directly to the Board of Veterans Appeals.
  • never going back to the legacy appeals process.

Man...I don't wanna wait another month!!!!!!!!!!

He'll no!!!!

I'm lucky, only been waiting 41 months since my origional claim date.  What's another month or two at this point lol.

Keep those updates coming!!!!

9 hours ago, killemall said:

Man...I don't wanna wait another month!!!!!!!!!!

He'll no!!!!

I'm lucky, only been waiting 41 months since my origional claim date.  What's another month or two at this point lol.

Keep those updates coming!!!!

Now that we're into September, I'm at 72-monrhs (6yr) on my original claim date, and I feel your anxiety for sure.

FWIW, I am getting the impression of RAMP procedures as something like this... Vets in RAMP will get a decision very quickly, but it appears that being notified of a decision to make a decision, is just one more method/way to string the appeals process out longer and longer.  Kind of like punching the "walk light" button (decision #1), and then trying to determine if cross-traffic will prolong the "wait" time before the walk "light turns green" (decision #2).  And then while the green walk light is illuminated green, trying to determine if cars turning right on red will actually let reach the other side before the walk light turns red (decision #3) and then the cycle begins again (decision #4 and then again turns into #1).  Rinse and repeat until the vet(s) drop out due to attrition/death.

In my case, the authorizing step was claimed by the BVA actually to be a decision just to ALLOW them (BVA) to then to actually make a another decision based on the evidence. Who knows what that "next" decision will be...move my appeal from pile "A" to pile "B"?

BTW, logging onto Vets.gov, it appear that my earlier legacy appeals have been moved into RAMP.  The only appeal supposed to move into RAMP was the Oct 2017 (FORM#9) and the other appeals dated (FORM#9 May 2016) were to remain in legacy appeal mode.  And currently appeals dating to June 2016 are now being distributed to BVA judges.  Am I being screwed by this RAMP unilateral decision or what?

LIKE I CAN BELIEVE ANY OF THE BELOW. BLOW THROUGH ~83,000 CASES IN 2-4 WEEKS? ...'shore...ju-betcha..."

Status of Your Claim

Preparation for Decision

How long until a judge is ready for your appeal?

The Board of Veterans’ Appeals reviews cases in the order they are received. When you completed a VA Form 9 in May 2016, your appeal was added to the Board’s docket, securing your spot in line.

The Board is currently reviewing appeals from June 2016 or older. Your appeal is eligible to be sent to a judge when it is ready for their review.

82,913  Appeals ahead of you

You are here

Docket-line-pin.svg

Front of docket line

195,418 total appeals on the docket

Edited by HorizontalMike

Just a quick question for everyone. So I am in RAMP. My RAMP appeal consists of 4 different issues, one is an earlier onset, one for an increase, and two changes they made to my disabilities that should have been additional disabilities and not changes. Anyway I get a letter from the DAV today giving me an informal decision, but it was only for the earlier onset and not the other three issue. Anyone experience this before? Usually they send a letter addressing all the issues at once. Just wondering. Thanks in advance. 

Please ask your question in a New topic (Ramp, for RAMP posts).  However, since you are new I will answer THIS ONE TIME ONLY.  

Yes.  VA sometimes "bifurcates"  (divides the claim into different issues), sometimes "combines" issues, and sometimes leave them as is.  They do this for their own reasons and dont explain why.  Wait for the decision and it may explain.  

Sorry about the post. I posted it here for two reasons 1. This is a RAMP appeal and 2. To show that they still “bifurcate” an appeal even in RAMP which I didn’t think they did in an appeal process.