Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

fundraising.jpegHadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
    • Howdy all,

The VA DRO denied my claim for an earlier effective date for my sleep apnea. They originally denied it in 2008 but granted it in Nov 2019 secondary to my GERD. I was rated for GERD in 2001. So I had it in 2008. I have attached the 2008 denial, 2018 approval, and the NOD SOC. All of my medical files and the medical articles and VA Citations referenced were in existence in or before Jan 2008. The only new items were the NEXUS letter from Dr Bash and a few extra buddy letters. The original denial states that my medical records show no diagnosis or treatment and only isolated complaints of symptoms. The denial does not even list my wife's or my lay statements as evidence reviewed. I have symptoms listed numerous times in my SMRs:

a. Medical visit dated 24 Feb 76 for problem sleeping and depression.
      b. Physical exam dated 24 Jan 79 listed frequent/severe headaches" dizziness, and
      nervousness.
      c. Physical exam dated 07 Nov 83 listed frequent/severe headaches.
      d. Physical exam dated 16 Jan 85 listed frequent/severe headaches.
      e. Admitted to hospital 05 Aug 86 for chest pains and anxiety.
      f. Medical visit dated 14 Jul 87 for problem sleeping and morning confusion.
      g. Physical exam dated 25 Feb 88 listed dizziness.
      h. Physical exam dated 07 Oct 91 listed frequent/severe headaches
      i. Physical exam dated 25 Aug 93 listed headache.
      j. Hernia repair surgery dated 22 Ang 94 surgeon had to insert devices of some
      kind in each of my nostrils that went down into my throat to keep rny airway
      open and stop my disruptive snoring.
      k. Physical exam dated 29 Sep 99 listed frequent/severe headaches.

So could you all take a look and let me know what you think.

Redacted VA NOD SOC 04-09-2020.pdf
      VA 2008 Denial of OSA Redacted.pdf
      VA Claim Decision Ltr 08 Nov 2018 Redacted.PDF
      • 3 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
Alpenliter

Effective date questioned

Question

I was recently awarded 100% disability, and the effective date went back to when I first took a stress test to evaluate my heart problems, 12 months earlier.  My question is: while looking at my EKG, both my cardiologist and my primary care provider commented that it showed that I had a heart attack as far back as 2013.  Should I file an appeal as to the effective date using the EKG that clearly states " Inferior infarct (cited on or before 10-May-2013)"?  I don't want to appear greedy, or "rock the boat", but don't want to walk away from money on the table if it's there. Thanking you in advance for any help on this.

when did you file your claim? what date was that? they maybe going back to that date?... I smell a low -ball here...Do you know what date they said your EED WAS? And did they say why?

Yes , if I was you I would request they use that 5-10-2013 date as your EED,

medical records don't lie and I don't see how they can get out that one.

guard those medical records with your life...that could very well change your entire life.

and if you had any heart problems before that date  request that date if its on record?   if you have medical documentation  that's the best evidence you can get.

The more years they go back means ching chang ching chang all the way to the Bank.

if you get 4 years retro at 100% S.C. for the first time  no deductions...at around 3,100 month thats a big hunk   just 48 months would be round 148.800.00 retro Plus  more if you add dependents  (children. parent living with you)

I say go for it .

Also since you were granted 100% for heart problems, if you have any more conditions that can be related to the heart..file secondary  to those conditions....if you can't work because of this 100% S.C. Disability you were just granted  then these secondary conditions after S.C. AND RATED could mean SMC S 1 H.B. (Special Monthly Compensation)for house bound in fact because you can't leave home for work.  that's another almost 347.00/ 400.00 $ with dependents added into your 100% comp.

& That's not being greedy thats taking care of you and your family , the SMC is for that reason.

you served and you deserve.

When you file your NOD Appeal...then submit these medical records and  check on those secondary conditions too  and if you have medical records to support  these conditions  request they give you those too.

Make copies of everything you send the VA and get a sign return receipts from the Post Office. and keep them in a safe place. you can use ebenefits but I recommend you do both.

Thank you for your quick response Buck.  To answer your questions, I filed my claim for the heart ischemia in January of '17.  They went back to April of 2016, the date of my first stress test as the payment starting date.  I am already receiving the special monthly compensation with housebound benefits effective April 2016.  What method would be best for filing a claim?   Should I use the Notice of Disagreement form or go through my VOS?  Thanks for the tips on sending the forms.  

Are you an incountry Vietnam vet?

If so did you ever file a past claim for any heart disease?

It seems you didnt- because you had no idea you had heart disease.

"Should I file an appeal as to the effective date using the EKG that clearly states " Inferior infarct (cited on or before 10-May-2013)"? That is a clear indication of some malpractice - if this was done at the VA...

Under Nehmer Footnote one my dead husband ( who died due to ischemic heart disease )- (I had already proven to VA his death was caused by VA malpractice) died in 1994- the  EED of my AO IHD Nehmer  claim went back to 1988- when he too had an EKG that was abnormal  and  revealed he had had that same day a heart attack while at work-at the VA.

They gave him a diagnosis of sinus infection and three days off from work, and he seemed to be in a daze...and started showing symptoms of brain ischemia soon after that , that his autopsy revealed were many  Transcient ischemic brain events until he had a major Stroke.. and then a fatal ischemic heart attack.

You might have the basis for a Section 1151 claim.might-

Did the VA give you any treatment at all after the 2013 cardiac event?

On that day or close to it, were you ever in the VA ER for chest pains or anything?

As Buck said"Yes , if I was you I would request they use that 5-10-2013 date as your EED,

medical records don't lie and I don't see how they can get out that one."

Believe me they will try!

Do you have copies of ALL of your VA medical records?

Ms Berta do you think he has enough evidence to file the 1151?

he is rated at 100% with SMC H.B. 1. Already..not sure when he got theSMC?

But he just was Awarded the 100% 2017  but  they went back to 2016 for EED.

I believe he can get that back to that May 10th 2013 date when the Dr's (two cardiologist mentions he has shown to have a heart attact back then and has the medical records for evidence.

I am not sure how he would go about filing the 1151? you can let him know how to file on that one..I'm not familiar with the 1151 claims at all....but he could NOD that EED Date.

if he was just granted the 100% in 2017 he still has time but really needs to speed it up.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MarkInTexas
      Well folks, I finally crossed the goal line that I have been moving the ball toward since I started this adventure in 2010.  A few days ago, I saw all kinds of crazy activity on eBenefits and VA.gov as I went to check on my slow shuffle in the BVA line.  I had already had my hearing and had several claims granted, and was waiting for the VA to move forward on the granted conditions, or see if they were were going to handle the remaining two remanded conditions that didn't amount to much anyway.
      I was sitting back with something like 33,000 claims still ahead of me in the slow march, so I was surprised to see an attorney fee determination claim pop up out of nowhere.  I called my attorney and left a message with his office.  He called me back a couple of days later excited and says that it looks like I'm about to join the Chapter 35 Club and that they will be retro'ing my EED back to my original claim dates.  He said to watch for the mail, and as usual to never trust eBenefits, which I don't, but I still do go to, which I know I shouldn't, but I do.  Y'all know what I mean.
      Anyway, a couple of days later, I get a nice retro in my account, and see that eBenefits is showing 100%, and the letter generator shows the same with the famous language of permanent and total with no future exams scheduled included in the letter.
      I noticed all of the BVA granted conditions were showing as service connected, except for one, so I'm assuming they are still working on that little one.  Also the two remanded conditions have not been decided yet either.  One called for a records review in the BVA remand decision and the other for a C&P, so since we now live in a COVID-19 world, who knows how that will work out?
      So anyway, I'm sitting and waiting on the one granted remaining and two remanded, but everything online shows green lights.  I did notice that there is are now two "new" claims open in my eBenefits, one still for the attorney fee determination and one for a "STR-Medical", and when I go to it, it says the claim is a regulatory and procedural review.  I'm hoping that some of y'all know what that means.
      I know that nothing is super "official" until I get the big brown envelope, or white, or brown and white....whatever the VA has in stock at the time, but it is a relief to finally be near the end of the tunnel that started with a VONAPP submission to the VA.  Yeah, I said it...VONAPP......the claims are that old.
      I know I've said it before, but I will say it again.  I joined this site back in 2012, and it has provided a wealth of knowledge, counseling and peace of mind, and also served as a place to ventilate.  I couldn't have made it without the help of you folks.  I also have to say that Asknod's e-book on Amazon saved me tons of trouble in the beginning, and it as handy as a pocket on a shirt as you navigate through the process.
      Thanks to all of you, and I wish you peace, good health and happiness.  I'll be back and forth on here still to check in, and maybe give some advice or get some advice.  Thank you all for your service, both in the military and now.  God bless each and every one of you.
      Mark

• By hemipepsis5p
      Hi everyone! 

So I have bipolar disorder, and I've made massive progress in my wellbeing in the last 6 months from diet/exercise and tons of self-help books and a Bipolar Life Skills program. Anyway, I feel great, and have for months and months now, and I feel like I'm ready to go back to school and finish my degree (in psychology) and try to get higher education so I can help other Veterans out of depression (I want to be a psychologist, the Psy.D route).
      Anyway I'm at 100% right now for my bipolar disorder, and I'm getting re-rated in like 2 years. I have 1 month left on my 9/11 GI Bill, which isn't enough for me to finish my degree (I have 2 years left). I'm aware that I have to put in for Voc Rehab before using my last month of benefits in order to get the higher Voc Rehab BAH rate.
      So my question is, if I call up Voc Rehab and say "Hey I'm feeling well enough to do school again and work and I want to be a psychologist and help other Veterans get their lives together" will the Voc Rehab people immediately schedule me for a re-evaluation? Don't get me wrong I want to get off of this disability stuff but if Voc Rehab is going to pay me only the BAH for the school's zip code, that is not enough for me to live on without a roommate (I'm 30) or some other source of income, not even close, like, the BAH is 3k per month, and the cheapest studios around the school (within a 45-minute drive one way) are $1200, and there are so many people applying for the apartments that unless you can show you bring home an income that is 3x your rent (in this case $3600 per month), they won't rent to you. I already tried to move there on my current monthly income (3k) and I got no responses.

Living on campus is possible but would be a nightmare as I would have to spend 4 months out of the year living with my 62 year old mom and my stepdad in a cramped little house. It's just not realistic. I know for a fact they wouldn't let me live with them for 4 months out of the year. Even when I was homeless they were only going to let me stay there for 1 week until I got into a VA housing program. It especially wouldn't work if I wanted to take summer courses because the dorms are closed during the summer and my family lives in another state. I also wouldn't be able to maintain my current extremely-healthy diet because no cooking is allowed in the dorms (no hot plates or toaster ovens). I eat very specific health-food recipes and mealprep 3-4 days at a time. The dining facility at the college is okay but is incompatible with my superfood diet. I checked to see if the school has off-campus school-sponsored housing but they don't have any.
      Anyway, I could absolutely make it work even if I'm bumped down to 50%, but if they put me at 10% or something I'm going to have to get a job when I'm going to school which would be too hard for me to do while getting the grades I need to get into a Psy.D program. Transferring schools to a cheaper area isn't much of an option because my transcript is so awful right now that no one else will take me.
      Will Voc Rehab set my BAH to 3x the studio rent for the area so I can get an apartment? I can hear you laughing now, I've dealt with the VA, I know the answer is probably "Yeah sure, when pigs fly."
      Thanks for any help!
    • By Nyree212
      Hello all I am fairly new to this forum however I get the majority of my insight here

Currently I'm rated at 90% overall , out of that my depression is currently rated at 50% , about 6 or 7 more disabilities each rated at between 10-30% as well ranging from back ,feet and hip problems and recently I have submitted my claim for tdiu back in October 2018 and this past Feb 2019 I had my c&p exam and I was wanting to seek feedback based on what my examiner wrote in the notes in the results I've copied and pasted the portion that stuck out to me most 
      Do I have a good chance at tdiu? Its a very scary process 

facilities. Encounter Date/Time Encounter Type Encounter Description Reason Provider Source                                                   :here are some of key things that stuck out from my examiners notes- 

At the time of the last exam she was experiencing a high level of work
      stress. This continued until her discharge in 9/19. She enrolled in
      College but only went to a day of school. She
      recalls, "it was pretty stressful, the wear and tear. Some of the
      classes were upstairs. Mentally I couldn't focus. I was excited, but
      when I went I felt overwhelm[ed], 'I can't do this.'"

She has looked for work she could do at home but was unable to find
      anything. Has not had paid work since her d/c from military service.

The veteran's depression is quite severe and would impact her
      performance in any job. She would be vulnerable to regular absenteeism
      and low productivity in any job. She would avoid social interaction and
      would particularly struggle to perform in jobs that involved extensive
      social interaction (e.g., team based jobs, customer facing jobs). She
      would likely struggle to tolerate the routine stress of most jobs or get
      through a work week without displaying obvious signs of depression and
      anxiety
    • By marine0816
      Can't believe that I'm 100% Permanent and Total. With VA jerking me around for all these years, but without the help from Hadit I wouldn't  be here. The fight continues at the BVA level to hold on to what I've got, but now I can rest a little easier. The property Tax Exemption and the free Dependent Tuition is what my injuries deserved and that is what I was pushing for. I've seen Rheumatologist, Podiatrist, Vascular Surgeons, General Doctors, VA Doctors Nurse Practitioners,  combined, with hundreds of pages of medical evidence along with buddy statements to help solidify my case. If you look at my signature you can see my journey, the good years are the HADIT YEARS. Thanks to everyone that helped me out...

FLASHBACK To my first post back in 2013.. WOW, I had no clue I would be here

• By Inarticulate&Distorted
      It's official! After 3 years 8 months of fighting the VA. Now at 100% TDIU P&T. Chapter 35 Bennefits will be a nice addition. I look forward to hearing your success stories too fellow Vets.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
    • Howdy all,

The VA DRO denied my claim for an earlier effective date for my sleep apnea. They originally denied it in 2008 but granted it in Nov 2019 secondary to my GERD. I was rated for GERD in 2001. So I had it in 2008. I have attached the 2008 denial, 2018 approval, and the NOD SOC. All of my medical files and the medical articles and VA Citations referenced were in existence in or before Jan 2008. The only new items were the NEXUS letter from Dr Bash and a few extra buddy letters. The original denial states that my medical records show no diagnosis or treatment and only isolated complaints of symptoms. The denial does not even list my wife's or my lay statements as evidence reviewed. I have symptoms listed numerous times in my SMRs:

a. Medical visit dated 24 Feb 76 for problem sleeping and depression.
      b. Physical exam dated 24 Jan 79 listed frequent/severe headaches" dizziness, and
      nervousness.
      c. Physical exam dated 07 Nov 83 listed frequent/severe headaches.
      d. Physical exam dated 16 Jan 85 listed frequent/severe headaches.
      e. Admitted to hospital 05 Aug 86 for chest pains and anxiety.
      f. Medical visit dated 14 Jul 87 for problem sleeping and morning confusion.
      g. Physical exam dated 25 Feb 88 listed dizziness.
      h. Physical exam dated 07 Oct 91 listed frequent/severe headaches
      i. Physical exam dated 25 Aug 93 listed headache.
      j. Hernia repair surgery dated 22 Ang 94 surgeon had to insert devices of some
      kind in each of my nostrils that went down into my throat to keep rny airway
      open and stop my disruptive snoring.
      k. Physical exam dated 29 Sep 99 listed frequent/severe headaches.

So could you all take a look and let me know what you think.

Redacted VA NOD SOC 04-09-2020.pdf
      VA 2008 Denial of OSA Redacted.pdf
      VA Claim Decision Ltr 08 Nov 2018 Redacted.PDF
      • 3 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines