VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Effective date questioned

Rate this question

Alpenliter

Question

I was recently awarded 100% disability, and the effective date went back to when I first took a stress test to evaluate my heart problems, 12 months earlier.  My question is: while looking at my EKG, both my cardiologist and my primary care provider commented that it showed that I had a heart attack as far back as 2013.  Should I file an appeal as to the effective date using the EKG that clearly states " Inferior infarct (cited on or before 10-May-2013)"?  I don't want to appear greedy, or "rock the boat", but don't want to walk away from money on the table if it's there. Thanking you in advance for any help on this.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I guess my explanation was not clear-

My husband never formally applied for DMII.

His 1151 was primarly for better PTSD care but he threw in he believed since VA did not give him adequate care for his PTSD, that they might also have been negligent with diagnosing and treating  any potential heart disease and also his stroke.When he dies ( no substitution regs than) I had to start at day one as the claimant and proved he did have undiagnosed ,untreated heart disease and stroke.

So in that case maybe one could say the veteran did preserve an EED that he did not even know he had.

I didnt find out he had DMII from AO until 17 years after his death.He made no claim at all for diabetes,in his lifetime.

I was awarded direct SC DIC back to the date of his death. AO DMII contributing to his  death.

But that claim ( it took me weeks to decide how to even word the claim) was a misdiagnosed issue as well as an AO presumptive. I already received 1151 DIC so I claimed direct SC death instead.

The VA never rated the DMII at all. The award provided close to if not over 100,000 in ancillary and sundry  benefits.

We really dont have enough info to opine on this vet's chance at a better EED.

We dont even know yet what the 100% and SMC are for and what rating is specifically for the heart disease.

I am assuming that the prior EKG and post medical care was provided to this vet by the VA but  I have no idea if that is the fact here.