VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veteran as caretaker

Rate this question

bobz

Question

I have seen a lot of information and assistance for people who are care providers for our veterans. What I cannot find is information for when the Veteran is the one who is the caretaker. Would it be the same?  In my case I am 100% P&T and in the position of taking care of my wife. Just looking for ideas etc...

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think  spouse of post 9/11 vets can get VA care taker money.  If you or your wife were in nursing home you could get extra money.   You might be able to get A&A money for your spouse depending on how totally disabled she is and if she can do basic functions of self-care such as washing herself, feeding herself etc.  From what I understand you or your spouse must be most severely disabled and almost bed ridden to get care taker pay.  I would apply for whatever is available.  I am housebound and I was turned down for the program where they make major adjustments to my house to make living easier.  The VA said since I was not bed ridden and had all four limbs I did not qualify.  This is what you are dealing with,  but I do remember that a vet can get money if spouse is in nursing home under certain conditions.  It is really worth checking into with the VA. I am throwing out things I heard or read in the past.  My aunt got extra money for nursing home care but she had DIC.  It did help to pay for her care outside VA facility.  She was not entitled to VA nursing home or assisted living care.

Is your wife getting SSDI or SSA?

bobz,

I am 80% service connected and I get an additional $122.00 for A/A for my non-Veteran spouse.  She has Multiple Sclerosis and is disabled and on SSDI.  I had to submit her medical record to the VA in a claim for it.  I included her SSDI letter and a statement from me listing the things that I do for my wife, etc., because of her disability.  It was approved the first time.

If you look at the VA comp 2018 pay rate chart you will see at the bottom

"Additional for A/A spouse (see footnote b)"

Then go to 100% and you will see if approved you would get an additional $152.06.  That is without children, etc.

Here is a link to a comp rate chart;

https://militarybenefits.info/va-disability-rates/

This is not the same as Veteran A/A, which is a whole different thing.

Its not much, but better than a stick in the eye!,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

bobz  i never meant to hijack your thread but needing to ask Hamslice some questions that relate to his post above  so I apologize to you sir in advance.

Hamslice

you get an extra 122.00 per month for A&A?

Because you care for your disabled spouse?

My spouse is disabled for quite a few conditions mostly Osteroperioris in her spine & LEFT MANES DISEASE OF THE HEART OPEN TRIPLE BY PASS IN 2005  and is on SSDI  since she was 60 she is 63 now And just got on medicare 

I help her around the house for her showers and cooking and cleaning making beds  ect,,ect,, and help her walk and move her in her wheelchair to Dr Appointments she has a power wheel chair but we  don't have any way to haul that heavy thing around  she uses it here at home.

is it possible I could file a claim for A&A? We sure could use the extra $$ 

but I am 100% with two SMC awards.  would that be a problem to be denied? because I am considered Housebound myself.

I am an older veteran I served in the Vietnam conflict 69-71 all my S.C Disabilities incurred in Vietnam..I need 3 more years FOR THE 20 YEAR PROTECTION RULE on my 100% S.C. Disability   I get my 50% S.C. 20 YEAR RULE ON APRIL 10TH of this year.

what ya think?

Edited by Buck52

I think the regulations are clear that you can get paid for taking care of a disabled Vet, even if you are a relative.  

I would "guess" the opposite it true, that you can take care of your spouse who is worse off than you are even if you are a 100 percent Vet.  

I know of no regulation that would prohibit a 100 percent Vet from giving care to an ailing spouse.