VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Examining your service medical records...

Rate this topic

Can you tell us exactly what your 80% is for?

Has the depression been service connected?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Berta said:

Has the depression been service connected?

Yes

33 minutes ago, Berta said:

Can you tell us exactly what your 80% is for?

Here is something I have been working on so I would know myself. I think you will be able to make sense of this.

VA Ratings History.rtf

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:00 AM, Tbird said:

* First thing I do after receiving a service medical record is number each page when I get to the end I go back and add 1 of 100 and so on.

* Second I then make a copy of my service medical records on a different color paper, yellow or buff something easy to read, but it will distinguish it from the original.

* I then put my original away and work off the copy.

* Now if you know the specific date it's fairly easy to find. 

* If on the other hand you don't know specifically or you had symptoms leading up to it. Well this may take some detective work and so Watson the game is afoot.

* Let's say it's Irritable Syndrome 

* I would start page by page from page 1, if the first thing I run across an entry that supports my claim for IBS, I number it #1, I Bracket it in Red, and then on a separate piece of paper I start to compile my medical evidence log. So I would write Page 10 #1 and a brief summary of the evidence, do this has you go through all the your medical records and when you are finished you will have an index and easy way to find your evidence. 

Study your diagnosis symptoms look them up. Check common medications for your IBS and look for the symptoms noted in your evidence that seem to point to IBS, if your doctor prescribes meds for IBS, but doesn't call it that make those a reference also.

What is the fastest and easiest way to get my records?

SMRS- go to the NARA (National Archives)web site and click on veteran's records button on  top of  the site page page,

and they will provide a blank SF 180 that you can fill out on line, print off the bar coded thing,

sign and date it, make a copy for your records, and mail it to where the SF 180 form directs you to.

(and get a Proof of mailing receipt from your Post Office)

C file: You request one free copy of your C file by writing to the Regional Office you deal with.

VAMC records. You can request a complete copy of your VA medical records from the Records Access Officer (sometimes called the FOIA officer) at your VAMC.  They should have a brief form you can fill out.

Dont request your  file or VAMC med recs using the FOIA Act. You can cite the Privacy Act (5,USC 552) if you want to but these are Your records and a FOIA will take much longer to get them.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use