VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD increase A&A added

Rate this question

taylor88be8

Question

I have been TDIU P&T for over 6 years well since I medically retired from the Army for PTSD on June,26,2012 (PDRL).  

My current ratings are 70% PTSD. ,30%Migraines  30% Gerd 10% Tinnitus 0% ED  combines total of 90%

I was awarded VA Caregiver from 2012-2014 until my wife left me them I lost Caregiver 

question is if apply for a increase in my 70%PTSD and I have a DBQ signed rom a medical doctor stating “Total Occupational and Social Impairment”  and the same MD filled out the VA Form 21-2680 A&A Form stating I need it.

I’m also on SSDI since 2012 for PTSD as well   

I already have SMC-S and SMC-K

What are my chances for any of this?  

Thanks 

Edited by taylor88be8

It's not unusual for Vets filing for IU to list their PTSD SC  as well as their Migraine SC as the cause of their claimed IU. When the Award is generated, the inclusion of the Migraine SC eliminates it from the SMC S (1) 60% calculation. You indicated an SMC S, not an S (1) Scheduler. Not a big deal.

Are you now filing for a PTSD SC Increase to 100%?

How does your Dr's New A & A 21-2680 comport with the original 2012 A & A  2680?

I'm sure you are aware that PTSD and other MH Conditions are all viewed by the majority of both Private and VA MH Clinicians to be treatable, with expectations of marked improvement over time.

An IU Award, T & P No Future Exams Scheduled, has been known to give Vets a false sense of security in the permanence of the Rating.

1 hour ago, Gastone said:

It's not unusual for Vets filing for IU to list their PTSD SC  as well as their Migraine SC as the cause of their claimed IU. When the Award is generated, the inclusion of the Migraine SC eliminates it from the SMC S (1) 60% calculation. You indicated an SMC S, not an S (1) Scheduler. Not a big deal.

Are you now filing for a PTSD SC Increase to 100%?

How does your Dr's New A & A 21-2680 comport with the original 2012 A & A  2680?

I'm sure you are aware that PTSD and other MH Conditions are all viewed by the majority of both Private and VA MH Clinicians to be treatable, with expectations of marked improvement over time.

An IU Award, T & P No Future Exams Scheduled, has been known to give Vets a false sense of security in the permanence of the Rating.

The PTSD DBQ states “Total Occupational Impairment, I was already approved for the VA Caregiver from 2013-2015 for PTSD but when my left me and she was my caregiver the caregiver stopped and I never followed back up with it.  Like I said I’m SMC-S.    If that’s different from S1 then I have just SMC-K & SMC-S.   

I was approved for social security disability in 2012 as well for PTSD and Migraines and then I was medically retired from the Army Permantly (PDRL)  with a 100% PTSD Rating from the Army and 100% CRSC I was injured in a roadside bomb and Purple Heart And we lost 17 guys, so my records reflect we were in the middle of a very Violent area of Afghanistan.  

You have the SMC S (1), your (2) 30% + the 10% get to 55.-- gets you to the separate CSC 60% to qualify for the S (1) Scheduler Rating.

You lost the A & A shortly after the X bailed, how have you managed to date? Has someone replaced her services?

On 3/28/2018 at 6:06 AM, Gastone said:

You have the SMC S (1), your (2) 30% + the 10% get to 55.-- gets you to the separate CSC 60% to qualify for the S (1) Scheduler Rating.

You lost the A & A shortly after the X bailed, how have you managed to date? Has someone replaced her services?

On 3/28/2018 at 6:06 AM, Gastone said:

What do you mean how have I managed to date?  Has someone replaced what service’s? 

Whoa there, cowboys. What's a SMC (s)(1)? Last I checked, there's one SMC (s) authorized by Congress https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/1114

(s)

If the veteran has a service-connected disability rated as total, and (1) has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent or more, or, (2) by reason of such veteran’s service-connected disability or disabilities, is permanently housebound, then the monthly compensation shall be $3328.70 For the purpose of this subsection, the requirement of “permanently housebound” will be considered to have been met when the veteran is substantially confined to such veteran’s house (ward or clinical areas, if institutionalized) or immediate premises due to a service-connected disability or disabilities which it is reasonably certain will remain throughout such veteran’s lifetime.

You see? There's only one (s). There is no new, improved secret (s)1. The statute is unambiguous on its face. SMC (s) = $3,328.70 for a single guy or $3,494.51 if you are married. The conjunctive is "and". You need 100% (or TDIU)"and" 60% or more. The disjunctive is "or" as in "Or" you need a permanent housebound profile for the rest of your life to qualify without that extra 60% or more.

The next step up from SMC(s) is SMC (l). That is more commonly known as the first tier of the Aid & Attendance ratings.  It's followed by (r)1 and (r) 2.

(l)
if the veteran, as the result of service-connected disability, has suffered the anatomical loss or loss of use of both feet, or of one hand and one foot, or is blind in both eyes, with 5/200 visual acuity or less, or is permanently bedridden or with such significant disabilities as to be in need of regular aid and attendance, the monthly compensation shall be $3700.43

Edited by asknod

Nod, sounds good to me. Then again, I have to ask myself where the hell did I come up with the SMC S (1) idea, possibly in a dream? I'd been aware that there were (2) ways to qualify for Housebound but never paid much mind to it until I got the Award in 2015 after a single SC 100% Rating Increase.

As I understand your post, you've never seen the Single 100% SC with the additional SC's at 60% CSC referred by the VA as Scheduler SMC S (1)? At this point, I stand corrected.