VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD increase A&A added

Rate this question

taylor88be8

Question

I have been TDIU P&T for over 6 years well since I medically retired from the Army for PTSD on June,26,2012 (PDRL).  

My current ratings are 70% PTSD. ,30%Migraines  30% Gerd 10% Tinnitus 0% ED  combines total of 90%

I was awarded VA Caregiver from 2012-2014 until my wife left me them I lost Caregiver 

question is if apply for a increase in my 70%PTSD and I have a DBQ signed rom a medical doctor stating “Total Occupational and Social Impairment”  and the same MD filled out the VA Form 21-2680 A&A Form stating I need it.

I’m also on SSDI since 2012 for PTSD as well   

I already have SMC-S and SMC-K

What are my chances for any of this?  

Thanks 

Edited by taylor88be8

NOD, aren't all SC Vets eligible for the Family Primary Care Program? As long as the Primary Care Provider (Family or Friend) is currently living with the Disabled Vet and the Vet meets (1) of the 3 or 4 Qualifiers, the VA pays a monthly stipend to the FPCP.  

While reviewing the NVLSP.org article, 2012 Family Primary Care Provider Program and the VA 10-10 CG application form, I found the Vet's Disability requirements to be much less stringent than the A & A Awards. I believe the monthly stipend paid directly to the PFCG was about $1200.00 based on the 2012 rate of $11.40? per hour.

13 hours ago, asknod said:

There are four flavors of A&A. One is the first tier or SMC(l). Next comes r(1), then r(2).  Last  but not least is SMC r (t). It is staged into several tiers with the highest equaling the payment of r(2). Because the Veteran is from whom the entitlement flows, all funds are paid to him for disbursement unless he has a fiduciary. With a divorce, his ex-spouse loses her spousal entitlement. With no caregiver living in the home, Mr. 88 loses the smc r(t) and drops back to SMC (s). If the caregiver were someone other than the spouse, the $ would be paid to him/her directly.

Buck is correct. If a new caregiver was found who could live there 24/7 and be trained by VA to provide the function, he would be entitled to the smc r(t) again. It would not require a relative but that would be optimal here probably. Again, VAF 21-2680 is rather pointed in what constitutes the requirements to attain A&A and especially any A&A at the higher tiers. CAVC precedence says you have to have "most but not all" of these problems listed in order to get the $. But if you only have one risk, it almost always has  to be bedridden or blind. VA is pretty sticky when handing out these big ticket SMCs. I'd say there are less than 5,000 r (1) & (2) ratings out there. One thing no one discusses is r(t) is considered "transitional" as in 'you're going to get better some day and won't need it.' I've never done a r(t) yet, just a couple of r(2)s and and 3 r(1)s. I aced them all.

With the PTSD rated for over 5 years, it's "substantially protected" but that's no guarantee. One thing I've found is the more screwed up you are, the less chance of getting dunned by a c&p and reduced. I did see a Vet get whacked at 19 years and 4 months. He fought to the BVA and got it overturned. These guys are vicious. Remember that.

Sir, I love your attitude and it has empowered me to read all the laws and regs, I've studied all your post and your site, it has been a huge help! I had this feeling of being alone in my fight, but you have shed light on that darkness. I thank you for your service and contribution to vets!!! I'm also in a fight for A&A. I'm doing it myself as with all my claims, and you give me surety. The VA denied me A&A and also said they considered me for A&A but I didn't return a form from over almost 2 year ago. The VA is vicious. lol

That, sir, may be. My expertise is Vietnam, AO, SMC at everything but the (t) rate and Hep C. I have one §1151 case pending on a NOD. I just won one on glioblastoma due to Camp LeJeune even though it's not on the list (https://asknod.org/2018/03/22/bva-two-american-kids-growing-up-in-the-heartland/). Remember, VA claims are basically all the same except for §1151s. You need three ingredients to bake VA cookies. Too bad we didn't learn all this until 1994 in Caluza.  

Gastone,

It depends on what level. I am on the highest tier of Caregiver, and my wife is paid $3175 a month, there are 2 lower levels, I believe Tier 2 is $1675 and Tier 3 is $1000. Im sure I would qualify for A&A,  but even after all this reading and good help thru Hadit, I dont have a clue which and what amount criteria I would meet. Also, I believe a Vet can not get Caregiver and A&A at the same time. I wish I was as knowledgeable as alot of smart Vets on here are. Also sorry to hear of your wife leaving, that happens too much these days and it bothers the hell out of me. My wife has alot on her plate along with taking care of my young girls, but she has always stood by me and tried to do her best and never puts me down for it either. I wish things were different, but we did not ask to be hurt or sick. Good luck and God Bless my friend.

N-04, thanks for the info. What's the Tax Status of the Stipend paid to your Wife? It is, paid directly to your wife, not included in your Comp Check as with SMC A & A, correct?

Does anything show up on your E-Ben Benefits page, indicating receipt of the Fam Primary CareGiver stipend.?

On 4/2/2018 at 2:43 PM, Gastone said:

N-04, thanks for the info. What's the Tax Status of the Stipend paid to your Wife? It is, paid directly to your wife, not included in your Comp Check as with SMC A & A, correct?

Does anything show up on your E-Ben Benefits page, indicating receipt of the Fam Primary CareGiver stipend.?

I am not sure how it is paid out, but I am on a vet caregiver forum and the tax question has come up often. The VA Caregiver stipend is not taxable income.