VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD increase A&A added

Rate this question

taylor88be8

Question

I have been TDIU P&T for over 6 years well since I medically retired from the Army for PTSD on June,26,2012 (PDRL).  

My current ratings are 70% PTSD. ,30%Migraines  30% Gerd 10% Tinnitus 0% ED  combines total of 90%

I was awarded VA Caregiver from 2012-2014 until my wife left me them I lost Caregiver 

question is if apply for a increase in my 70%PTSD and I have a DBQ signed rom a medical doctor stating “Total Occupational and Social Impairment”  and the same MD filled out the VA Form 21-2680 A&A Form stating I need it.

I’m also on SSDI since 2012 for PTSD as well   

I already have SMC-S and SMC-K

What are my chances for any of this?  

Thanks 

Edited by taylor88be8

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:14 AM, SupermanCannedy said:

However, there is a world of difference in criteria, method and compensation between the Caregiver Stipend and an SMC, but I think that has been established later in this thread, so that’s all good. How the conversation bent toward the possibility of him receiving SMC (t) is puzzling to me as were several statements about the T.

You are completely correct about there being a world of difference between the caregiver "program" and SMC T.

Unfortunately the caregiver "program" and SMC T to my knowledge, during my years at hadit, haven't been discussed or explained by those utilizing it so many confuse them and make errors when referring to them.

So it is good to see another vet/caregiver that has utilized these areas bring it up.

The TBI needs to be service connected.

I also want to clear up a point.  A TBI vet receiving SMC T may not necessarily be comatose to be receiving SMC T.  It is the residuals relating to the TBI that make our lives miserable and restrict what we can and can't do.  And whether or not we require a caregiver and in what areas we need a caregiver.

Given what a good job hadit members do re helping other vets I don't want another thread re this topic to contain misinformation.  FYI and taking a risk of being hit by piss bombs, there has been misinformation posted re this topic.  The last time I tried to give info on this I deleted the info due to others misinformation responses.

Piss bombs means I'm a chic so lack the body part to have a pissing contest, well at least standing up. ;)

Edited by eli
grammar

• HadIt.com Elder

eli, funny bout the piss bombs:smile:

Most veterans that require a caregiver or in need of a caregiver is unable to help himself 'per say' and that also is referred to claims and getting the SMC t or any other SMC he/she is entitled to.

beings most VSO are not knowledgeable about SMC's to go  past S, H.B.

it is recommended for the Veteran to seek help from someone that knows the claims process to include the correct Entitlement to SMC.

Seek an Experienced well seasoned VA Certified Claims Rep  such as hadit's own Asknod (aka Alex Graham) or a VA Experience Attorney of his/her choice.

We all need to remember SMC is not a rating but an award to help make the veteran life more comfortable in the world he lives in.

The worse shape a S.C. Veteran is in usually means more entitlement up the SMC tree.

jmo

Buck, I'm glad I could amuse you. <3

And I agree re VSO's, heck the VA employees aren't that familiar.

I'd say to tbi vets re SMC T make sure you qualify for A&A under SMC L as stated re the %'s etc.

And meet the other easier to understand requirements.

It seems to be the %'s that confuse folks.

On 4/8/2018 at 5:52 PM, Buck52 said:

a 70% PTSD Rating  w/P&T Would equal a 100% comp rating b/c the veteran is being paid at the 100%  rate!

However his over all rating would still be 70%,  unless he has another rating of 90% then that would change his over all rating to 100%...then he will need an additional 60% separate rating to meet the SMC Criteria..usually SMC.S H.B.

(30% Migraines),

(30%Gerd), (

10%Tinnitus),

(0%ED)***********

******Rounded up is 60%.*********   

Then the PTSD is 70% which was the only reason and it’s specified ONLY reason I was put on TDIU P&T For PTSD on my VA awards letter.  Which will award the======      

************”SMC(S)”*************

******0% ED=**** “SMC-K”******

Edited by taylor88be8

• HadIt.com Elder

yes your correct I never included your 2  30% and the 10%  but your right on

I was thinking the 70% 30%30% & the 10% is only rounded out at 86.77   still puts you at 90%

the 0% for ED is not a rating but is still awarded separately to add the 104.? per month with any other s.c. rated condition.

Norm ,to meet the critera for SMC H.B. S You would need a 100% rating  plus an additional 60% rating above the 100%.

However you being on TDIU P&T with the 90% combined rating because of the severity of your disability  along with your combined ratings may qualify you for the SMC S H.B.

I never truly understood how they make this jump to the 100%  when a veteran is 90% combined and still at 90% but getting the IU.

so my thinking is the IU is actually a 100% rating  and your other ratings as you mention equals the 60% that you need to jump up to the SMC S H.B.

Edited by Buck52

19 hours ago, Buck52 said:

yes your correct I never included your 2  30% and the 10%  but your right on

I was thinking the 70% 30%30% & the 10% is only rounded out at 86.77   still puts you at 90%

the 0% for ED is not a rating but is still awarded separately to add the 104.? per month with any other s.c. rated condition.

Norm ,to meet the critera for SMC H.B. S You would need a 100% rating  plus an additional 60% rating above the 100%.

However you being on TDIU P&T with the 90% combined rating because of the severity of your disability  along with your combined ratings may qualify you for the SMC S H.B.

I never truly understood how they make this jump to the 100%  when a veteran is 90% combined and still at 90% but getting the IU.

so my thinking is the IU is actually a 100% rating  and your other ratings as you mention equals the 60% that you need to jump up to the SMC S H.B.

When you have “one” Disability that gives you the TDIU for  Rating purposes,it is considered a 100% Rating, that’s why the SMC-S is awarded to TDIU with one Disability that got them on IU... 

Edited by taylor88be8