Agent Orange Exposure in Okinawa and how it pertains to second and third generations.

Hello to all here on the forums.  

I am writing to inquire if anyone has any good insight or perhaps even any suggestions about how to explore Agent Orange claims for children and/or grandchildren of veterans exposed to Agent Orange.   

My mother was stationed in Okinawa from 1974 until 1977.  She and my father were both stationed together on separate orders there at the time.  She was actually pregnant with me, and I was born there in July of 1978.   My mom passed away from complications of Multiple Myeloma in 2012.  While she never received monetary benefits from the VA, I do know that she was receiving medical care from the VA relating to her Myeloma diagnosis for at least 5 years post her initial diagnosis.  I surmise it was their way of quietly handling her claim that she had been exposed to Agent Orange while serving.    

I am not even sure how to begin looking into claims on my behalf, however, my concern lies more so with my children.   I have two who suffer from a laundry list of issues, OCD, Depression, Asthma  in my older child, as well as an Autism Diagnoses and Severe Anxiety Disorder diagnoses for my youngest child.   I myself struggle with some mental health concerns, as well, along with early onset Type 2 diabetes.  I have been reluctant to pursue any sort of claim on my behalf, due to the fact that my grandparents, (also veterans who have served in in places like Korea,), were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in their late 60s.  My diagnoses however was in my early 30s.  Though, I can not say for certain that it may have some family link.  

However, with my children, I do have questions and concerns.  We have no history or genetic dispositions for Autism in our family, and the fact that there are so many issues with both of my children, coupled by the fact that my mother was pregnant with me during the time she was in Okinawa, and it has been subtly acknowledged by the VA that she was exposed, leaves me unsettled.   

Any thoughts or suggestions on where I should start? In my son's case he requires a significant amount of care and supports due to his Autism.   

Thank  you so much for your help or input! 

• HadIt.com Elder

This is the most recent link from the VA on Agent Orange and children of incountry Vietnam Vets, as well as AO DMZ Korea vets.

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/benefits/children-birth-defects.asp

" I surmise it was their way of quietly handling her claim that she had been exposed to Agent Orange while serving.  "

I disagree- she was fully eligible for VA health care. It is a shame that no one filed an AO claim for her.

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/multiple_myeloma.asp

A few veterans have proven their exposure to AO in Okinawa.

https://www.stripes.com/news/2-vets-win-agent-orange-exposure-cases-from-okinawa-1.457227

There are no Nehmer provisions for AO Okinawa veterans or their survivors, that I know of.

Others here might have more info to offer.

• Like 1

Welcome to hadit! 

I know this sounds like a broken record, but once again Berta has given superb advice.  

Are you or your spouse a Veteran?  If so, This may help.  Dependents benefits and Veterans benefits are in an entirely different class, generally favoring the Veteran.  If there is a 100 percent P and T disabled Vet (husband or wife) then the dependents should get medical care via Champva.  Champva is, imho, the best insurance available, bar none.    

• HadIt.com Elder

one more point :

You stated:

"My mother was stationed in Okinawa from 1974 until 1977.  She and my father were both stationed together on separate orders there at the time."

If your father is still living ( hope so) he could file a DIC claim on a 21-534 form .

The problem would be however, how does he prove your mother was exposed to AO.

He would need to obtain her complete SMRS and Personnel file by going to the NARA web site,www.archives.gov , and making a request under the Veteran's records button, to fill out an SF 180. He will need to print off the bar cioded thing they tell him to, sign it, and keep a copy of it and send to where the  SF180 directs him to. 

There were more than 2 awards mentioned in this article I posted but this is what VA will seek:

"FINDINGS OF FACT 1. Credible evidence sustains a reasonable probability that during service, while performing regular duties at the Naha Naval Port in Okinawa, Japan, the Veteran was exposed to Agent Orange from leaking barrels. 2. The Veteran is currently diagnosed with diabetes mellitus type II.

As service connection is being granted on a presumptive basis, there is no need to discuss entitlement to service connection on any other basis, as other theories of service connection have been rendered moot, leaving no question of law or fact to decide. See 38 U.S.C.A. § 7104 (West 2014). ORDER Service connection for diabetes mellitus, type II, is granted. "

There was a lot to this case-his MOS , many buddy statements and other evidence finally got him this award.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/files5/1635277.txt

Your father is the surviving spouse of a veteran so he is the one who should try to pursue a DIC claim but it will not be easy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By Berta
      I saw this article in the new News Section Tbird has put here:
      https://vanews.wpengine.com/
      https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/42619109/widow-of-vietnam-era-veteran-appealing-denial-of-claim-by-va
      In part:
      "Veterans Affairs states there’s no record of a cancer diagnosis while Richard served in the 1960s nor is there evidence of exposure to herbicides.
      “They actually want a photo of him standing by this particular plane that he guarded, however, that’s not possible because he was in a high-secured area,” Mary said.
      So tying the discovery of Agent Orange barrels to where Richard’s unit was stationed is strategic to the appeal."
      The VA wants to identify what planes he had worked on in Okinawa. It is unfortunate that often widows do not recall things their husband discussed with them, about their service, that could become highly relevant to a successful DIC claim, after they pass.
      ," that’s not possible because he was in a high-secured area,” Mary said." from the above link- but a highly secured area would be an ideal place for the AO to have been sprayed. I assume he worked close to the flight line.
      In the large stack of paperwork in the photo-I hope it includes the veterans SMRs and Personnel file.
      It often pays for veterans to try to find their unit buddies in their lifetime- if not for a VA claim, for the comradery. And one never knows when a unit buddy can help turn a denied claim around ,for living, and even deceased veterans.

• By John48
      On Appeal Remand: Sleep apnea, Vascular Disease, Sciatic Nerve Paralysis, Cerebral sinus Thrombosis and amputation of right leg, below the knee. After 4 failed bypass procedures on my LEFT leg, my vascular doctors-VA and Civilian, have told me that amputation of my remaining {LEFT} leg is imminent! It will happen once the blood flow to my leg becomes so reduced that I will no longer be able to withstand the pain and/or when my leg literally begins to die which will lead to gangrene and possibly sepsis. CLOSED and GRANTED: Anxiety disorder. {50% rating}  DENIED: Traumatic cataract,  Coronary Artery Disease, Arterial Aneurysm, Penile Deformity and DIABETES II, of all things!! And for some reason, they put on finger amputation which I NEVER claimed--I have all of my fingers!  I worked on Naha port loading and unloading ships with AGENT ORANGE and MANY other barrels that were leaking or broken open.  In addition, I visited Kadena AFB frequently. I remember the names of 2 of the ships I regularly unloaded--One was the Comet, and the other was the Trans Global. There were others that I can't recall, and I have not found any info as far as cargo with the 2  I do remember. I am hoping that other Vets that were there can send me letters to verify that's what happened everyday, and I will do the same for them!  I can not believe that the VA will not will not say that Agent Orange, and multiple other chemical barrels were on Okinawa. I SAW them. I unloaded them--I worked in clothes all day long that were soaked in these chemicals, and I truly have HAD IT!   John48      ** Here is a brief list of my medical conditions:  DIABETES MELLITUS TYPE II; 5 HEART ATTACKS--the first was in the late 80's;  SKIN CANCER--not yet claimed as I only found out from a VA dermatologist about 3 years ago; 4 STROKES--the first 2 happened in the mid-late '80's, when I was age 40-41,still active duty stateside. The last 2 happened in November 2016, one on November 1, the other one on November 16 while I was in the hospital for the stroke that happened 2 weeks earlier. These strokes have greatly damaged my short-term memory; OPEN-HEART CARDIAC BYPASS SURGERY--2008;  21+ STENTS in my heart, legs, and right arm; COUNTLESS ANGIOGRAMS AND ANGIOPLASTIES;  NEOPLASMS being removed from my face/back; PERIPHREAL NEUROPATHY-FINGERS/TOES.       *  I have left some things out, but what I listed gives everyone an idea. Like ALL of my Brothers and Sisters, I dedicated my life to serve my country. For me, it was 23 years in the Army. I do not want pity; I want JUSTICE for all of us! I have been fighting to get my benefits for 10 years, with ZERO assistance from the VA.       * In addition to all of this, my wife and I may be homeless in 2 months as a result of Hurricane Irma in 2017, and a verbal contract that was broken by our mortgage servicer. Some days we just feel like giving up.  
    • By clynch726
      I am looking for anyone who was on Kadena AFB, Okinawa or .Chanute AFB, IL. My dad was there from Oct. 68-April 70. He has ichemic heart disease, diabetes which has resulted in the amputation of his right leg below the knee and peripheral neuropathy. We were denied in 2002 AMVETS filed a claim on his behalf for heart condition, diabetes and back problems. I refiled in December 2011 and have just received the claim statements and medical release forms. I am familiar with filling out this paper work because my husband is a combat veteran of Iraqi Freedom. I have been reading articles from the Japan times and I am a member of the Agent Orange Okinawa facebook page. Another thing that helps make my dad's case is that he was on Chanute AFB, IL and it is on the EPA Superfund list and has PCBs/Pesticides and Dioxins/Furans listed as ground and water contaminants. I welcome any advice, tips or articles that I may have missed in my own research.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

406%
    $6,103.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines