VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reduction in VA disability benefits - 100% to 0%

Rate this question

Armyvet1987

Question

Hello everyone, 
Today I received a letter stating I will be getting a reduction of benefits from 100% to 0% for PTSD. I was awarded this amount in October 2010 and maintained the 100% rating until now. In November 2017 I had reexamination for PTSD, the results came back in December 2017 and I was again awarded 100%. Fast forward to February 2018, I received a letter in the mail saying I needed to go to a out of the VA doctor for them to fill out a DBQ form, I called the VA that day and stated I was not comfortable with speaking to another doctor about my PTSD, the women told me I could have my metal health doctor fill it out and send it back to them. I have an email from her with the attached document. My next appointment for the mental health doctor is in late April. The letter states that there is proof in my medical files and since I “missed” the DBQ appointment that they want to reduce my rating from 100% to 0%. 

So here is my question, how did my PTSD change significantly from December 2017 (when I was re-envaulted) to February 2018?
Next, should I hire a lawyer? VSO? I have never used the VSO or disabled veteran’s reps.
Finally, what should be my next step?

Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

You may need to Request  a DRO Hearing to get this straighten out..

The proposal  letter you recieved should have had instructions as to what your required to do? IN YOUR PROPOSAL LETTER?

like if you feel the VA is wrong in Reducing your benefit of 100% back to 0%   you can select a  DRO Hearing at your R.O.

And take New & Material Evidence to support your claim,  Dr's Opinions about your PTSD or filled out PTSD DBQ by your Dr or VA Dr,,,that is qualified in Mental Health PTSD AND SIT AND TELL THE DRO WHAT ALL YOU STATED HERE ABOUT WHAT WAS SAID AND SHOW HIM YOUR EVIDENCE (EMAILS)

IF YOU HAVE THE CORRECT EVIDENCE TO PREVENT THE REDUCTION YOU MAY TRY THAT FIRST  BUT TO PRESENT IT  ...REQUEST THE DRO HEARING ..

They maybe other alternatives but to straighten this OUT I'd Request the DRO Hearing  unless there's some other way.

other members please chime in here

You Have 60 days to request the DRO Hearing...and report back to them.  if your unsure as to what to do  send in a NOD 21-0958

It sounds to me like the VA is using a missed C&P exam to reduce your rating.  They can do this but you also have the right of appeal.  Please follow Buck52's advice and file a notice of disagreement as soon as possible.  I would also look at getting a VSO as they can look into your records in ways you cannot.  Don't give up, they want you to.

Yeah, I got ahead of my self. I read through the entire document and the reason was for the missed exam. I have access to all my medical records and the results of previous exams so hopefully I will get something together to send to the VA. Thanks for the reply.

2 hours ago, Armyvet1987 said:

I called the VA that day and stated I was not comfortable with speaking to another doctor about my PTSD, the women told me I could have my metal health doctor fill it out and send it back to them. I have an email from her with the attached document

Did this woman not take care of the appointment? Seems she should have taken care of it and you needed to get that info from her also. 

Keep fighting, don't give up!

Never, ever, ever, ever miss a VA appointment.  Ever.

No, your PTSD did not go from 100 to 0.  Its not about that, its about missing the appointment.

And, you are not the first one to talk to the VA and have them say something other than go to the scheduled appointment, only to find out that that info never went anywhere. 

He'll if they ever changed one of my appointments, I'd show up to both, just because.

The VA is/will look for anything to go against the Veteran.  

You gave them an out, 

Hamslice