VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Officer

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

My husband asked his SO if he had a copy of the (mental)C&P exam done last June. Here is his response...

"You should be able to get a copy form the records section at the hospital unless the examiner specifically said not to release the exam in which case the VA could not release the copy in the C-file either."

Would the examiner ask that your exam not be released to you and if so, why?

He's trying to determine whether to nod the decision or not.

Thanks,

sbrewer

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes they can do that. You can request that it be sent to a MD and they have to release to them.

Good Luck

My husband recently had several C&P exams. I requested copies of the exam from the VAMC. When I followed up on why I had not received them, I was told that two people had my request. I received one letter referring me to our local VA clinic to get the records, which did not make any sense because I was told by the VAMC that did the exam that all exam records were sent to the main VAMC and that is where I should request them. Then I received another letter that included part of the records requested.

Then we went to our local clinic and requested all of the other exam records and they printed them right there for us. But my question is does the VA C&P examiner's have one person that puts all of the information together and puts together a summary to be submitted to the VARO along with the exams? If so, they did not give us a copy of this. I just think something is strange here. It did seem that there was one PN that seemed to be the one coordinating the exams. My husband had a total of six exams. Two of the exam notes did not include a "least as likely" or similar statement as if the report was only read by radiology or someone and did not have the medical credentials to put together a summary to include the least as not or not as likely statement. I was told by calling the 800# that they cannot make a decision without the c-file and that the C&P doc still had my husband's file. It has been about 3-weeks since his last exam. Not sure what's going on.

sbrewer,

I am a little stunned by the answer you got from your SO. I thought that all veterans had a right to request copies of their exams or their c-file. Of course, if you have pending claims it may not be a good idea to request your c-file as it may slow down a decision on your claim(s).

I would like to know the answer to your question as well. WHY WOULD THE EXAMINER ASK THAT YOUR EXAM NOT BE RELEASED TO YOU??? AND, WHY??? ALSO, IF YOU HAVE MULTIPLE EXAMS, IS ONE EXAMINER RESPONSIBLE FOR SUMMARIZING ALL OF THE EXAMS INTO ONE FOR SUBMISSION TO THE VARO???

Brandy

My husband asked his SO if he had a copy of the (mental)C&P exam done last June. Here is his response...

"You should be able to get a copy form the records section at the hospital unless the examiner specifically said not to release the exam in which case the VA could not release the copy in the C-file either."

Would the examiner ask that your exam not be released to you and if so, why?

He's trying to determine whether to nod the decision or not.

Thanks,

sbrewer