VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Generic Letter From a Doctor For SMC S

Rate this question

Okemos_Veteran74

Question

I would like to know what information I would need from a doctor's note to qualify me for SMC S, please.

I am at 90%/100 TDIU

70% TBI

70% PTSD./100 TDiu

20 vision

10 tinnitus

0% headaches

smc k1

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

17 hours ago, Buck52 said:

The VA has a duty to maximize a veteran’s benefits; they are supposed to render a decision that grants every benefit to which the veteran is entitled to. It is generally presumed that when filing a claim for disability, the veteran is seeking the maximum benefit allowed by law that corresponds to their disability. Therefore, SMC is not something a veteran has to formally request of the VA. It is inferred when a claim for disability is submitted. The VA is supposed to consider it when making a decision on the claim, whether the veteran is entitled to SMC benefits if the evidence in the claims file indicates that they are. The VA often fails to do this though, so you will want to know when you are entitled to these benefits so you make sure the VA is not paying you less than you deserve. If a veteran is erroneously denied SMC benefits or not granted the full amount of SMC benefits they are entitled to, they could be entitled to retroactive benefits or even make a claim for clear and unmistakable error.

Source: Hill & Ponton Disability Attorneys

17 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Your S.C. Ratings speak for themself here.

you should have been awarded the SMC S H.B. After you recieved a 70% S.C. Rating above your 90% TDIU Award, YOU HAVE 2- 70% Plus other smaller ratings but keep in mind SMC is awarded according to the severity of the disabilities.

I would just send copy of your award letter  stating that you would like to be awarded SMC for the appropriate SMC Letter,to be Inferred SMC According to the special SMC RATING TABLE.

That is  as I understand is Mandatory  As I  meet the SMC Criteria and use the date for EED as the Qualified Date.

I was granted B&T status for PTSD at 70/100.

I don't know if I'm using all the correct terminology.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not understanding this rating S.C. PTSD P&T 70/100??

its either S.C. 70% PTSD without P&T or S.C. 100% PTSD With P&T

Unless you mean you was granted 70% S.C.PTSD and because you can't work they inferred the IU W/ P&T

but please remember 100% P&T don't make SMC Criteria.

Edited by Buck52

Okay thank you. I was awarded PTSD at 70% and I was granted tdiu. On eBenefits it says that I am permanent and total. I went and got a brown card from a local military base.

I am 90% T & P. granted I.U. April 3rd.  Knee replaced May 29th. Granted 12 months SMC. The SMC is being removed, still need assistance.  My Dr. of whom is a chiropractor  is willing to write a letter for continuance.  Will the Dr's letter, with evidence, be enough or will I need an exam by V.A.?

Whodone it:  

Please ask your question in a seperate post.  You are new, so I will answer "just this one time" but you will still  get more answers if you start a new post.  

There are "2" ways to get SMC S.  You got it from a Convalescent temp 100 percent for your surgery.  Your temp convalescent rating will end after a year.  All is not lost, tho.  

To continue your SMC S, you need either:

a.  An increase in your rating(s) so that you have a "100 plus a combined 60 percent seperate and distinct" statuatory SMC S.  Often, post knee replacements are rated 30 percent.  I dont know if you will have enough to combine to an additonal 60 percent combined with that 30 percent or not.  (Statuatory SMC S).  Your rating could still be higher than 30 percent post convalescense, check the criteria.  I dont know your symptoms so can not opine on what your rating will be for your knee after surgery convalsecent temp rating.  

b.  Your doctor can write a letter that you are "substantially confined" to your home.  You will likely need a c and p exam for this.  (Housebound in fact).  

So, those are your choices.  I dont think the SMC S will be continued "just because" your chiropractor says so, UNLESS you meet the criteria, for one of those I just described, above.