VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Total Knee replacement

Rate this question

RonC3558

Question

I have been rated 10% for my knee for 40 years, I am going in to have it replaced in may. I was looking up what my benefit rating would be and it says 100% for 12 months? can that be right?

I went to a VVA rep and he says it is only what the doctor is saying which I should be out 6 to 8 weeks but from what I read it says it is an automatic 12 months, just need some clarity, feel my disability has been underrated for years.

it is service related.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Wow you had your knee rated at 10% for 40 years  and no increase in all those years?

if you filed for increase and they give you a 30% increase  it will only go by the date you filed for the increase...its obvious your knee has got worse over these 40 years if there going to replace IT.

I assume VA is doing the surgery?

I am not sure on the 12 month 100% temp rating but that could be correct  if your getting knee replacement by the VA. & After the year is up you will probably be called  up for a new evaluation  although you will keep the 10% rating  because of the 20 year protection rule.

VA is always uncooperative.  Its what they do well.  File for an increase again, and fight them if they deny the increase by appealing.  Dont wait to file an increase, surgery or no surgery.  

Yes, you should get a temp 100 percent while recovering from surgury, and now is always the best time to file.  

You file later, and you get less retro, if awarded.  

@RonC3558 If you do have the replacement and are awarded temp 100% -

By years end of the award -

your knee should be doing well. I have 21 years of therapy experience, at the 6 month mark - with proper guidance and therapy - you should be relatively pain free with Range of Motion up to 100 degrees on the flexion.  

Good Luck - Prayers