VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Question For The Perplexed

Rate this question

Hardtyme

Question

I have received conflicting reports regarding 100% IU  (70% SC) and then some years  later a 60% SC is awarded.  What does that make the person at 70% on IU?  Is he awarded more money or reach a higher award of some kind?  70+60 doesn't equal 130% but is the IU considered 100% and then the 60% added to the 100% IU???  This is perplexing to me and probably a lot of other veterans.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Folks, I'm 74 years old and not Housebound nor on A&A and I am 100& IU at 70%SC.   Here is a listing of the SC disabilities:  Bilat:  Lt Shoulder 20%, Rt Shoulder 10%, Rt Knee 10%, Lt Knee 10%..

Other disabilities SC are:  Impotence 20%, Hypertension 10%, Degen arthritis spine 10%, Tinnitus 10%. CAD 10%  Rt Ankle 10%  All of which I am awarded 70%

SC items I can claim are Renal Insufficiency Secondary to hypertension 60%, Lt Ankle 10%  (new) 

And even with the new ones I can claim it's  90%-maybe 92% unless the degenerative arthritis of the spine and the right ankle has worsened.  I probably won't try to obtain "new" SC but have notified RO that I intend to file on the Secondary Renal Insufficiency.  I hope this clears things up somewhat.  Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think you can get the SMC S H.B. under the 100% rating..

You have multi -combinations of S.C. Disability's 

if you have IU that qualifies you for the SMC S when you have another rating  of 60% or more.  with the 70% IU you have now

They don't count the multi ratings or combined ratings  Unless you have another single separate rating of 60% or higher (As I understand)

Multiple service-connected disabilities that combine to 70 percent or more and establish entitlement to TDIU under 38 C.F.R. § 4.16(a) cannot be treated as a single “service-connected disability rated as total” for purposes of entitlement to SMC at the (s) rate. ''

THIS MAY BE WHY YOU WERE NOT GRANTED THE SMC S H.B. at the time of your IU rating.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder