VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are C&P exams done for presumptive claims?

Rate this question

AFgal

Question

In March I filed a presumptive claim for GWI for fibromyalgia.  I know that C&P exams are not always required and so was wondering if anyone knows if they are usually required or not for a presumptive claim. I also wondered if it matters to the VA that my diagnosis was given by a military doctor at a major military hospital versus a civilian doctor. 

I included a letter in my documentation clearly stating this was a presumptive claim quoting the 38 CFR § 3.317 reg for fibromyalgia.

Edited by AFgal

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 hours ago, broncovet said:

It depends on your circunstances.  If there is already evidence in your file, then it should not be necessary.

However, for example, maybe you dont even have a diagnosis of the presumptive condtion?  Also, a c and p exam may be needed to document your symptoms, as your rating will be based on symptoms.  

As far as the diagnosis military vs civilian it does not matter except in the case of PTSD, because VA thinks "only va docs" can diagnose PTSD to meet VA's criteria.  

Thanks for the info. Yes,  I have an actual diagnosis from a military rheumatologist and included copies of all the blood tests and radiology where she and my PCM were trying to find out if I had any other diagnosable chronic disease and found none. All of this information is very recent which is why I didn't know if they would bother to do another fibro exam since my rheumy just did it. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that!