VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability vs. Concealed Carry

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

Recently, I was awarded 100% P&T w/o future exams and Chapter 35 Benefits.  I also received full medical retirement from the Army.  This post for information seeks any input from those privy to Social Security Disability benefits and concerns regarding one's legal right to carry concealed. 

As for now, I have yet to apply for social security benefits.  To be honest, my pride gets in the way.  I truly feel these rights are for others suffering from a serious handicap.  Nevertheless, I am curious about my 2nd Amendment Rights in the event I do apply for social security.  

Would anyone like to chime in here???  I ask this because the other day I had to apply for a duplicate concealed carry license online.  One of the questions was: Do you receive any social security disability for a mental condition?  

I am just looking to open the debate and/or seek quantified clarity, if any out there have experienced this or know some inside insight.  

Thanks! 

Grumpbox 

I am disabled under Social Security for PTSD and other issues.  I also have a concealed carry license.  I believe where you cross the line is where you are declared incompetent.  That was one of the previous administrations gift to SS recipients.  Of course that is a question that I did not have to answer on my permit application.

@vetquest Semper Fidelis!  Nope, never been declared incompetent....thankfully!!  

"That was one of the previous administrations gift to SS recipients."  Can you elaborate on this??  

It was just an application for a "Duplicate" not the real ma-coy.  But it did throw me for a loop as I answered it vs when I considered SID no that I am 100% P&T!!

Lately on Foxnews, I seen all this "Red Flag" law crap where states are tracking down Vets with PTSD.  They come into your house and confiscate weapons.  I've mainly seen it in Washington State, but Illinois was trying to amend their State Legislation in order to control/confiscate AR-style weapons.  Herein is why I was curious about social security disability and a vet with PTSD.  

I love for any other Vets on here to chime in!!!

Thanks for you input!!!

Grumpbox  

I do not want to turn this political but I am being sarcastic about the last administration's order that SSDI recipients that had been declared incompetent to manage their finances would not be allowed to have firearms. 

@vetquest If you know any one else on here that is a SME for this area, can you please ping him or her to chime in??  I'd love to get a variety of input or possible some pointers where to research this more...

AND BY THE WAY!!!  I just got it!  What you meant about being "incompetent to manage their finances would not be allowed to have firearms."

Again - thankfully...that doesn't apply to me!! 

4 hours ago, Grumpbox said:

Recently, I was awarded 100% P&T w/o future exams and Chapter 35 Benefits.  I also received full medical retirement from the Army.  This post for information seeks any input from those privy to Social Security Disability benefits and concerns regarding one's legal right to carry concealed. 

As for now, I have yet to apply for social security benefits.  To be honest, my pride gets in the way.  I truly feel these rights are for others suffering from a serious handicap.  Nevertheless, I am curious about my 2nd Amendment Rights in the event I do apply for social security.  

Would anyone like to chime in here???  I ask this because the other day I had to apply for a duplicate concealed carry license online.  One of the questions was: Do you receive any social security disability for a mental condition?  

I am just looking to open the debate and/or seek quantified clarity, if any out there have experienced this or know some inside insight.  

Thanks! 

Grumpbox 

I’m no nonsense.  So with that being said, get your butt to the closes SSA office and apply for YOUR SSDI!!  Now, on to the fear of losing your CCDW.  Have you ever threaten to neutralize someone with a firearm?  Has the sheriff ever been to your house over anything to do with firearms?  What state do you live?  Now, if you answered no to the first two question and still have your CCDW licenses.  This is a great start.  Now, if you live in Illinois, California, Or South Carolina there’s a big question mark and for obvious reasons.  I’m was the same situation and I still have my CCDW and have purchase guns/rifles after the fact.  They’ll come get your license and guns.  If you threat to harm your neighbors with the firearms.  Firearms are there for you to use.  Just be smart about it.