VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability vs. Concealed Carry

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

Recently, I was awarded 100% P&T w/o future exams and Chapter 35 Benefits.  I also received full medical retirement from the Army.  This post for information seeks any input from those privy to Social Security Disability benefits and concerns regarding one's legal right to carry concealed. 

As for now, I have yet to apply for social security benefits.  To be honest, my pride gets in the way.  I truly feel these rights are for others suffering from a serious handicap.  Nevertheless, I am curious about my 2nd Amendment Rights in the event I do apply for social security.  

Would anyone like to chime in here???  I ask this because the other day I had to apply for a duplicate concealed carry license online.  One of the questions was: Do you receive any social security disability for a mental condition?  

I am just looking to open the debate and/or seek quantified clarity, if any out there have experienced this or know some inside insight.  

Thanks! 

Grumpbox 

3 hours ago, Grumpbox said:

@MPsgt I agree that the SS means nothing if I die before I am eligible. I will have to log in and see what projected income is....last time I checked, it was low like $850.00 a month.  I was floored when I read this!  I guess 20+ years in the Army and working odd jobs before that doesn't account for much.  Since you've been a recipient for six years, what issues have you encountered while receiving SSD?  

Have you had to complete periodic reviews?  Do they require you make any type of visits or doctor appointments?  Or anything else good or bad you've experienced???  I am just trying to get a feel for all this, as a new awardee and curious as to the SSD/SSDI. 

I believe you’re referring to SSI and SSDI.  Based off your shared information.  You’d never be a recipient of SSI.  Besides, SSI is set at $721.00 a month in 2017.  Your age may be another thing you’d want to share.  If your wife is roughly the same age and has paid more into SS.   You will receive the higher of the of the two, should she die first.  According to you, it would be her SS you’d receive.  Which are you?  DOD retired (regular) or disabled retired as a FERS employee?  That could make a difference too.  Plus, TSP gets thrown into the mix.  I’d hold off touching TSP until you reach 59 1/2 YOA.  If you’re a federal employee and apply for disability retirement.  You’re required to apply for your SSDI, too.  Even if you receive employee disability retire, SSDI isn’t guaranteed.  You may need to appeal it.  The VA and SSA have different criteria on determining unemployability.  At the three year mark The SSA reviewed my SSDI and simply used my VA records to make their determination of continued SSDI payments.  Those results favored me and my disability.  I provided them a letter from the VA proving I’m 100% P&T by VA standards.  They excepted the documentation and I haven’t heard a peep out of them since.  SSA has three review time frames.  They’re three, seven, and never in years.  I’ll be in my seventh year in 2019.  However, I don’t sweat it because it’s just a formality.  I’m still being treated and can’t work.  Therefore, I have no worries.  I just work hard to maintain my MH and find other things to do with my time.   I was 38 YOA when SSDI, FERS, and eventually the VA decided in my favor.  The VA was the toughest to crack and they had to back pay me a large sum.  My family and i would have never been able to survive without depleting my TSP.  I was Blessed and still am today.  The VetCenter, VA, and The American Legion all played huge parts in saving my life and marriage.  I’ve been taught a great deal about filing claims for Veterans and that’s what I do to overcome depression and boredom.  I’ve done about 2000 claims in eight years as a Service Officer (volunteer) with the Legion.  I’ve manage to get involved with the Legion in other capacities.  I’ll be going to GTMO Bay, Cuba for the third or fourth time.  We do claims and recruit DOD students for Boys and Girls State Legion Programs.  We’re planning a trip to Germany to do the same in the next couple years.  Sorry, I shouldn’t be rambling.

Edited by MPsgt

@Grumpbox I am 70% SC for MH but prior to filing for my SC I applied for SSD (I’m 52) for medical unrelated to my service.  I was denied first round then after obtaining a SSD attorney I was approved it took about 1 1/2 years start to finish to get my SSD and I call that a God intervention.  After receiving SSD for just over two years I was notified my status was being reviewed by SSD.  I had to submit all relevant medical to SSD office and they reviewed it and then I was notified my SSD would continue but they never put me into a permanent status so I will be getting reviewed again.  Since my last SSD review I received my 70% SC so I would imagine that may help my future SSD approvals but I’m not sure since my SC is for MH and my SSD decision was based about 80% for physical and maybe 20% MH ...I did not want to share all my MH issues when I had filed my SSD because I knew I had enough medically wrong to just focus on that component when I filed (not recommending that was a good idea or not).

not giving any advice just sharing my situation 

9 hours ago, MPsgt said:

I believe you’re referring to SSI and SSDI.  Based off your shared information.  You’d never be a recipient of SSI.  Besides, SSI is set at $721.00 a month in 2017.  Your age may be another thing you’d want to share.

***(AGE: 47)

If your wife is roughly the same age and has paid more into SS.

***Wife's age: 62 - I like’em more versed, plus, she’s the only one that put up with me!!

You will receive the higher of the of the two, should she die first.  According to you, it would be her SS you’d receive.  Which are you?  

***She makes more than me...for now.

DOD retired (regular) or disabled retired as a FERS employee?

***DOD Medically Retired with 20+ years.

That could make a difference too.  Plus, TSP gets thrown into the mix.  

***Ijust moved my TSP into a civilian investment firm, so unsure how that would be a pro or con, but I have t touched it any...

I’d hold off touching TSP until you reach 59 1/2 YOA.  If you’re a federal employee and apply for disability retirement.  You’re required to apply for your SSDI, too.  Even if you receive employee disability retire, SSDI isn’t guaranteed.  You may need to appeal it.  The VA and SSA have different criteria on determining unemployability.  At the three year mark The SSA reviewed my SSDI and simply used my VA records to make their determination of continued SSDI payments.  Those results favored me and my disability.  I provided them a letter from the VA proving I’m 100% P&T by VA standards.  They excepted the documentation and I haven’t heard a peep out of them since.  SSA has three review time frames.  They’re three, seven, and never in years.  I’ll be in my seventh year in 2019.  However, I don’t sweat it because it’s just a formality.  I’m still being treated and can’t work.  Therefore, I have no worries.  I just work hard to maintain my MH and find other things to do with my time.   I was 38 YOA when SSDI, FERS, and eventually the VA decided in my favor.  The VA was the toughest to crack and they had to back pay me a large sum.  My family and i would have never been able to survive without depleting my TSP.  I was Blessed and still am today.  The VetCenter, VA, and The American Legion all played huge parts in saving my life and marriage.  I’ve been taught a great deal about filing claims for Veterans and that’s what I do to overcome depression and boredom.  I’ve done about 2000 claims in eight years as a Service Officer (volunteer) with the Legion.  I’ve manage to get involved with the Legion in other capacities.  I’ll be going to GTMO Bay, Cuba for the third or fourth time.  We do claims and recruit DOD students for Boys and Girls State Legion Programs.  We’re planning a trip to Germany to do the same in the next couple years.  Sorry, I shouldn’t be rambling.

SEE ME REPLIES WITHIN YOUR COMMENTS!!!

rambling is just fine!  I appreciate all your input!! It gives me much to consider!!

I was Law Enforcement, when I was Granted SSDI, and had to Retire due to the State of Texas Labeling me Endangerment to Society. State of Texas has a Policy that if a Veteran has Documented PTSD, and TBI, he or she can be labeled, and therefore unable to carry a Weapon. I actually had to make my Wife Power of Attorney for my Children and I SSDI Checks, and had to Sign a Form that says if ever caught to have a Weapon and I will be arrested and can serve up to 2 yrs in prison. Its hard living in the country with wild animals, and snakes, and I can not even have a weapon to defend myself. I was very angry and embarrassed at first, but I did not want to fight the Govt any more. Just wanted to be able to take care of my family. I have Masters in CJ field, so I tried my best to get out of it, but just was not getting anywhere. I have had Friends that will not accept the SSDI, solely due to this policy. Sorry to hear of the Continuing fight that we must endure for the Rest of What Life we Have Left!!!  Good Luck and God Bless!!

@Navy04 THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!  This is what I fear when it comes to applying for any type of social security.  

Man...I am so sorry to hear about your situation.  I don’t think I could ever give up my right to carry, much less, my guns.  

I may have PTSD/TBI, but I’ve got enough American blood in me to never turn homicidal or go on some hunt against the innocent, and I’m sure you wouldn’t either.  Again, I’m sorry about what happened.  

I would have thought coming from Texas this would be the last thing a state like this would do...you hang in there!!

Stay in touch and lean forward bro!!

Grumpbox