VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability vs. Concealed Carry

Rate this question

Grumpbox

Question

Recently, I was awarded 100% P&T w/o future exams and Chapter 35 Benefits.  I also received full medical retirement from the Army.  This post for information seeks any input from those privy to Social Security Disability benefits and concerns regarding one's legal right to carry concealed. 

As for now, I have yet to apply for social security benefits.  To be honest, my pride gets in the way.  I truly feel these rights are for others suffering from a serious handicap.  Nevertheless, I am curious about my 2nd Amendment Rights in the event I do apply for social security.  

Would anyone like to chime in here???  I ask this because the other day I had to apply for a duplicate concealed carry license online.  One of the questions was: Do you receive any social security disability for a mental condition?  

I am just looking to open the debate and/or seek quantified clarity, if any out there have experienced this or know some inside insight.  

Thanks! 

Grumpbox 

@MPsgt

Hey Bud...thanks for sharing your side!  

What state do you live in?

Can you elaborate any on what your reason(s) were for SSD??

Tennessee is where I reside. And no, I’ve had no issues whatsoever with the law or domestic.  Not issues with the Sheriff. In fact, I’ve even got three NFA requests in the ATF for suppressors, so legally wise - I’m golden!!

Back to the SSD...so no one from the SSA mentioned this or spoke with you about it?

I counter the argument -  I would not apply for SSDI  - You paid this money into the Social Security System - it is not an entitlement. The reason ppl get so little out is because they paid very little in. 

It is a benefit earned by you. SSDI is for a disabled person before their scheduled retirement age. If you wait until retirement age to draw it, it is  significantly more. Check out your  SSA.gov account. 

I have a "LTC" or CHL .... license to Carry in TX - My perspective are these are two separate issues one of monetary - one of rights. 

This does not answer you question per say.... but.... 

I would check- your specific state to decide.

I purchased a gun recently with no questions about mental health. 

Edited by L

8 minutes ago, Grumpbox said:

@MPsgt

Hey Bud...thanks for sharing your side!  

What state do you live in?

Can you elaborate any on what your reason(s) were for SSD??

Tennessee is where I reside. And no, I’ve had no issues whatsoever with the law or domestic.  Not issues with the Sheriff. In fact, I’ve even got three NFA requests in the ATF for suppressors, so legally wise - I’m golden!!

Back to the SSD...so no one from the SSA mentioned this or spoke with you about it?

I can’t argue with the other comment about SSDI.  However, with your rating. There’s no room for improvement.  I don’t care what anyone tells you about waiting.  SS is a dying thing and its longevity is always in question.  Finally, if your disability is bad enough for P&T.  Your SS means jack if you die before hitting 62 or 67 YOA.  I’m in the State North of your location (KY).  Your SS statement should tell you about the amount your expected to receive.  And a previous post is right about how much you’ll receive.  Is based on what you paid into SS.  Any kid under 18 is paid to you too.  Ex.  You receive $1000 and any kid under 18 is another $500. 

I can’t argue with the other comment about SSDI.  However, with your rating. There’s no room for improvement.  I don’t care what anyone tells you about waiting.  SS is a dying thing and its longevity is always in question.  Finally, if your disability is bad enough for P&T.  Your SS means jack if you die before hitting 62 or 67 YOA.  I’m in the State North of your location (KY).  Your SS statement should tell you about the amount your expected to receive.  And a previous post is right about how much you’ll receive.  Is based on what you paid into SS.  Any kid under 18 is paid to you too.  Ex.  You receive $1000 and any kid under 18 is another $500.  I’m 100% P&T, a FERS disability retiree, and a SSDI recipient.  I’ve had SSDI for six years and a first time go with SSA.  Which just about never happens.  SSDI is different too.   If they believe your able to work any job.  A denial will be possible.  My disability is MH and had no problem with the SSDI process. 

Edited by MPsgt

2 hours ago, L said:

I counter the argument -  I would not apply for SSDI  - You paid this money into the Social Security System - it is not an entitlement. The reason ppl get so little out is because they paid very little in. 

It is a benefit earned by you. SSDI is for a disabled person before their scheduled retirement age. If you wait until retirement age to draw it, it is  significantly more. Check out your  SSA.gov account. 

I have a "LTC" or CHL .... license to Carry in TX - My perspective are these are two separate issues one of monetary - one of rights. 

This does not answer you question per say.... but.... 

I would check- your specific state to decide.

I purchased a gun recently with no questions about mental health. 

@L I appreciate your side and thoughts!  I am some what like you are..."it is not an entitlement."  Basically, I feel like the VA is treating me pretty well right now; however, we know how the VA can call me up and stop things whenever they want.  While these chances may be slim, it can happen.  

From my understanding there is SSDI and SSD.  They are different and the SSA decides, unless one has legal assistance providing a cause. I have wondered although, in the event I take either disability, how it will "affect" my future SS under the age I choose to draw this benefit.  Any comments are greatly appreciated here....

When say check your state, what exactly do you mean to check??

Then there is also my wife's income, which is more than mine, and I don't even work.  The SSA looks at this, plus, my education in determination of any award.

I also wonder about my DOD retirement income + my VA amount.  Having put that out there, I wonder if they (SSA) will off set any type of disability they provide.

@MPsgt  I'd love to hear any sage advice or comments you could offer, also!!!

2 hours ago, MPsgt said:

I can’t argue with the other comment about SSDI.  However, with your rating. There’s no room for improvement.  I don’t care what anyone tells you about waiting.  SS is a dying thing and its longevity is always in question.  Finally, if your disability is bad enough for P&T.  Your SS means jack if you die before hitting 62 or 67 YOA.  I’m in the State North of your location (KY).  Your SS statement should tell you about the amount your expected to receive.  And a previous post is right about how much you’ll receive.  Is based on what you paid into SS.  Any kid under 18 is paid to you too.  Ex.  You receive $1000 and any kid under 18 is another $500.  I’m 100% P&T, a FERS disability retiree, and a SSDI recipient.  I’ve had SSDI for six years and a first time go with SSA.  Which just about never happens.  SSDI is different too.   If they believe your able to work any job.  A denial will be possible.  My disability is MH and had no problem with the SSDI process. 

@MPsgt I agree that the SS means nothing if I die before I am eligible. I will have to log in and see what projected income is....last time I checked, it was low like $850.00 a month.  I was floored when I read this!  I guess 20+ years in the Army and working odd jobs before that doesn't account for much.  Since you've been a recipient for six years, what issues have you encountered while receiving SSD?  

Have you had to complete periodic reviews?  Do they require you make any type of visits or doctor appointments?  Or anything else good or bad you've experienced???  I am just trying to get a feel for all this, as a new awardee and curious as to the SSD/SSDI.