VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possible new policy for Student Loan Waivers

Rate this question

Berta

Question

https://www.disabledveterans.org/2018/04/19/veterans-get-student-loan-forgiveness-benefits/

What is odd to me about this is that the Only thing VA seemed to do right for my husband is to properly fill out the NYSDHE waiver form.

He only owed maybe less then 800  hundred bucks but was told, after he got SSDI,not to keep paying it yet they called here relentlessly after he became totally disabled for payment.

The form we took to a VA doctor , during a regular appointment, was checked off as to Total and Permanent disability due to his 1151 stroke,by the doctor who also turned to me and said' that 30% for PTSD is way too low ' but I told him Rod had already applied for a higher PTSD rating.

That waiver became significant evidence for me after he died, as the VA will not apply a General Counsel Pres Op to my claim until they grant 100% P & T for the stroke.

I recently advised POTUS and the former Sec that the director called me twice to say he was Total but not Permament for the stroke ( a contributing factor to his death), and offered no evidence he had been suddenly cured by VA for the brain damage it caused, and I reminded her that 100% disabilities become Permanent at death.

In any event- that is my next battle with VA.Unless they put ischemic stroke on the AO presumptive list and I have made a very strong argument to support that with Sec Shulkin and with the new possible Secretary.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Good (if the new policy is effective).  I had to fight to get my student loans forgiven.  It took months.  

The bright side is, as Berta said, tho.  I had docs fill in my student loan forgiveness paperwork, which was key evidence for being awarded 100 percent.  Evidence is evidence, and it does not matter if the doctor is referring to student loan forgiveness...this is still evidence that I can use to bolster my claim for TDIU.  

Interestingly, the VA did not like me doing that.  

How do I know?  Well my paperwork for student loan forgiveness "mysteriously disappeared" from the RBA, all when VA had exclusive control over my c file.  This was about a 6 page document my doctor filled out detailing why I would not be able to repay that loan because my disabilities prevent substantial gainful employment.  I know for a fact it was previously in my cfile because that is where I got it!!!!  But, it disappeared, somehow, later, when I went to the BVA.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Looks promising

I cannot help but wonder if this passes, would there will be a lot of disabled veterans suddenly getting student loans to get their degree and then using this option to get the debt forgiven?

Thanks for the info Berta. Surprisingly the VA actually mailed me the Form Completed, I had never heard of it, back in 2015. I owed 100k, that really helped me out alot. Most Vets dont know that while Active the Military only pays for 4 classes per year. I took 10-15 classes per year for 7 yrs, 3 degrees later that I now can not use due to my health. Grateful that along with the VA, Navy and my pocket I finished, considering I did not even have a High School Diploma when I joined the Navy at 22. Sorry for the Rambling, as usual Berta you are always on the look out for us Vets. God Bless

On 4/19/2018 at 6:18 AM, broncovet said:

Good (if the new policy is effective). 

@broncovet

and of course everyone else.

The policy is in effect, the changes to the law are enacted.

Nelnet is running the process. VA is notifying Nelnet and they are supposed to process a letter to the vet saying the loan can be discharged and they have to sign some stuff.

The Veteran can also start the process themselves

details here

https://www.disabilitydischarge.com/?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=

Take note that any vet who is 100% scheduler or TD/IU can apply. Basically neither group will ever get another Fed STudent Loan.

TD/IU vets seem to have an added burden in that they are restricted by law from earning more than the Fed Poverty level or their benefits are messed with. In the case of the loan forgiveness making more than FPL you might have a claw back done against you and the forgiveness rolled back. It is all in the details. I think it is for three years.

My point is be very careful to read ALL the details if you actually have a wage based income above FPL.