VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Best cities in the world to live for disabled veterans and their dependents

Rate this question

Vet Dog and wife

Question

What are some of the best states in the United States, and also best countries and cities in the world to live for disabled veterans and their dependents?

Va Benefits

Cost of living

Safe for family

Education

Medical care

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings.jsp

https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/state-veterans-benefits-directory.html

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

As a sidebar to this ongoing conversation: last 21 years I have moved 18 times. ( Thank God, I am a minimalist) Purchase 7 homes- I listed moving as a hobby! 

Moving is the easy part, but once you move to even a US Territory - Gastone is correct - Health care - Competent care is a big consideration along with tax implications. 

When I was younger, healthier and still able to work...between the military, my education and my career I've lived and/or worked in over half of the states in the U.S.  Given my current medical situation and the fact that I am stuck in bed a lot with a laptop on my bedside table, I have plenty of time to read and research.

The topic of where to eventually live once this nightmare is over with the VA is one we have thoroughly researched.  Esp given we bought a house in this area only because my family is close and the area was semi close to multiple medical facilities that handled tbi/epilepsy.  But my parents are now elderly, my sister moved closer to help with them and to handle the estate once they pass on.  So once I knew they would be taken care of and after the doctors said there was nothing more they could do for me, we were free to decide what state I wanted to die in.  And after doing our research we know where we'll be going.  :)

I'm not asking you to provide personal info in this post but I will try to assist you in thinking about areas.  You are more than welcome to private message me.  This is a topic I thoroughly enjoy.  In other words, I look at cost of living, crime and demographics, availability of medical facilities, family member location, health related and weather compatibility.

I am guessing based on what you've posted that you've not been to the US before.

Decide:

*Do you want/need to be near his family?

*How close do you need to be to medical facilities?

*Do you need to be close to a VA medical center?

*Medical insurance will factor into this.  I pay for private insurance so I don't use the VA for medical needs.

*What size of city are you both comfortable in?  Look up the population of cities you are used to over there and use that as a guide, that will eliminate many areas immediately.

*Do you want to live in the middle of a city, the edge of a city or outside the city?

*I am aware of some of both of your medical conditions but can you drive?  Will you need to rely on public transportation?

*Will you need a medical or caregiver type of person for assistance?  There are many things that family and friends do for us that we forget about in our daily life.

*What type of climate do you both prefer or need?  Will certain climates negatively affect either of you?

**Being an accountant I always work up a budget.  Again, I am not asking for personal info but you need to determine what portion of your income is available for:

*housing (rent or mortgage)  Will you rent or do you want to buy a home at some point?

*utilities

*food/household supplies

*medical expenses

*personal and child related expenses - (school for your child, etc)

You might be surprised at how much these various costs differ between states and cities.

Once you have a budget established that eliminates many areas.  So that's why when I did financial planning for people and businesses I always started with a budget.

You said you are both homebodies, is there any hobby or outside interest (ie - fishing) that you'd say...If we could locate with that interest nearby we'd appreciate it...

And imho, very important with tbi/ptsd vets:  are there any triggers that he HAS to stay clear of.  I'm being over simplistic here but let's say a vet that is set off by crime/gun fire doesn't want to live in neighborhood with that activity.

Tied in with that, certain regions of the U.S. have hurricane seasons and if you are limited in mobility that can be a nightmare.  Been there done that!

Hope this helps.

I sleep off and on due to the epilepsy, so I have an odd schedule.  You did an amazing job with answering the questions, thank you.

Fortunately, the epilepsy makes humid areas hard on me so I've already done research on which areas not to live in due to humidity.

And we seem to have some of the same preferences.

**This makes me smile when thinking about it. as you spoke about it..my first husband said to me when he was getting out of the military...I want land in the middle of no where, no neighbors on top of me and chickens!  And that's where he moved us too.  We had a wood stove to boot and we burned the wood he cleared from our land.

I will private message you 1 question I have and I will start working on some lists for you.

I'm pretty sure someone brought it up in one of the threads, but I am going to bring it up again because there are so many pages.  Is your husband receiving ssdi?  And I have no clue how that works for vets living overseas.

Based on this response from you above..."we live off his  VA check, with a family of three. he is 100 VA  disabled" I am guessing he doesn't.

Will others please chime in on letting her know how to get that started?  Thank you in advance.